Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Why is Queenzone full of trolls?

forum rss feed
Author

Doga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Doga
Bohemian: 921 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember in the past, Queenzone was a very interesting place to talk and learn about this great group, but now this site have a lot of nonsense talks and is full of trolls, is depressing.

Mercuryking user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah i agree, too many mindless trolls here

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not trolls.

Here's the deal.  When you have a world wide forum, people like to discuss things.  The more fired up you get 'em, the more response you'll get.  Treasure Moment is a classic example of this.  Those guys were not complete morons, they knew and still know that their music was a joke... just some dudes having a good time.  But now you go on Queenzone and compare yourself to Queen, even say you're better.

Is there any better way to get members to view your material? 

Who are the real bozos?  (1) The ones that actually listened to their music and made multiple posts about them. 
or (2) The ones who made crappy music and was able to get people from all over the world to view it without paying a dime to promote it

It's the same story in Sports, Entertainment, etc.   Why do you think reality TV is so popular? 

So, to the thread starter, we're having a discussion about something that really has no bearable effects on everyone's day to day life... but you got people talking about it.

So if Queenzone gets rid of the "trolls" it has to, by definition, get rid of every Queenzoner that posts on the forums.

And you all wonder why there's no moderation here?  Bingo.  Well done, Richard, for not ever considering it, even though everyone "claims" they want it.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure I agree completely with that assessment, Microwave.  You have a valid point with what you say about Treasure Moment/Tranqvillia, as they have just easily got people to listen to their "music".  But that's all they've done...they haven't "promoted" it, or won any fans, so it hasn't really done their life much good.  I mean, it's good to know that folk listened, but it's not good to know that everyone hated it. 

And it's not just them I think flu was referring to....there's Anton, who doesn't actually want discussion, but just to fight, and there's Jake and Niphtee and the like.  Definite trolls, definite problem.  And there is moderation, to an extent - although the programme cannot allow the moderators to completely wipe out IP addresses, they do keep an eye on what's going on....just look at how many times our Russian compadre has been booted out.  Yes, he comes back, but he keeps getting booted, because he's abusive. 

Take you, for example - you can often  be antagonising, and you know you're doing it.  And there's no way you can say you're just trying to get the debate "fired" up, because it's often not anything constructive you have to say.  But, to give you your dues, you are never abusive (well, not that I have seen anyway).  In a way, that's trolling: but because you're not abusive, and also weigh in (from time to time) with points constructive to a debate, you are safe from the boot.  But if I, or anyone else, ever felt otherwise, we could easily get rid of you (not that I'd want to, but just for talking sake).  That's moderation.


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are always people out there who post on forums just to get a reaction, usually an angry one. That's what a troll is (short for "troller," as in trolling the bottom of a lake, not to be confused with the evil, ugly creatures who live under bridges [though the resemblance may be uncanny]).

Queenzone is still full of quality discussions, but we take the good with the bad. There are no moderators here, so we can pretty much say what we think. The price of that freedom is allowing the less-educated, less-reasonable and/or generally obnoxious to have a voice too. I think it's a better system than us all having to watch what we say.

As for the current quality of topics, well, there's only so much to be discussed before something new comes along. If QZ started as a place to learn about Queen, I'd say it's evolved into more of a place where that knowledge is refined. A new fan may be better advised to brush up on their knowledge of who the band members are and when they recorded everything before posting, since it seems the discussion has advanced well-past that stage here. It's not to say we don't care to listen to newcomers, it's that after many years, what they bring to the table may not be new to us anymore.

Anyway, trolls are a fact of life on the internet. Just try to ignore them.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

There are no moderators here, so we can pretty much say what we think.
============================================================================================

Not quite - just look at Anton.  He will never learn.  There are moderators here, but I think they only concern themselves with the abusive posters.  Anything else can be easily ignored.


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But if I, or anyone else, ever felt otherwise, we could easily get rid of you (not that I'd want to, but just for talking sake).  That's moderation.


Actually, that abuse.  What you just said.  (just for arguments sake..  I appreciate your comments)

So now, you  have it out there that if (FOR ANY REASON) you want to "get rid" of someone, you could.  How is that a more ethical behaviour then someone coming on here and saying Inu-liger is a jerk and his opinions are invalid.   (no offense to Inu-liger, just using an example)

If you (or Barb, Sir GH, or the other strong-armers here believe your Quote above, you have no reason for believing you are in a position to do something about it... what you call Moderation.)

We're seeing a pretty graphic and "real life" interpretation of that going on in Libya right now.  Ghaddafi feels that his beliefs and his system of running things is superior to anyone who disagrees.  And he uses the same verbiage !!!

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:

But if I, or anyone else, ever felt otherwise, we could easily get rid of you (not that I'd want to, but just for talking sake).  That's moderation.

Actually, that abuse.  What you just said.  (just for arguments sake..  I appreciate your comments)

So now, you  have it out there that if (FOR ANY REASON) you want to "get rid" of someone, you could.  How is that a more ethical behaviour then someone coming on here and saying Inu-liger is a jerk and his opinions are invalid.   (no offense to Inu-liger, just using an example)

If you (or Barb, Sir GH, or the other strong-armers here believe your Quote above, you have no reason for believing you are in a position to do something about it... what you call Moderation.)

We're seeing a pretty graphic and "real life" interpretation of that going on in Libya right now.  Ghaddafi feels that his beliefs and his system of running things is superior to anyone who disagrees.  And he uses the same verbiage !!! =============================================================================================

Having only highlighted the part of my post that you feel relevant, you have actually taken the comment out of context.  Whether or not you have done this by mistake, to put me in a bad light, or to aggravate me, I don't know - but I shall respond by saying this: No, what I said is NOT abuse.  In the correct context, I actually said that you are not abusive, and so are safe from being booted.  Then the section you have quoted kicks in, where I said if I feel otherwise, I could get you removed.  That's IF you were abusive....not "FOR ANY REASON", as you have wrongly stated.  At no point did I abuse you! Having then confused (or tried to mix) what is fact (i.e abuse will lead to an account being banned, whether that's me, you or "Joe Queen fan") for what is going on in Libya, and then trying to compare me to Gadhaffi, you are now going off on a tangent which is completely irrelevant to the conversation which ACTUALLY took place.  Whether you did it by just taking my comments the wrong way, or whether this was another example of your trolling, I am neither offended or riled.  However, it could be percieved that making me out to be some sort of Gadhaffi is abuse....not that I care, I'm just saying :)


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 13:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy, I meant no offense... I was generalizing your statement....  that's why I made note in parenthesis.  I actually DO find your entire post relevant.  

And of course I wasn't comparing you to Ghadaffi.

But you're solidifying my point, thanks.

How we perceive one's post is different from each individual.  Case in point, I pissed you off but didn't mean to.  I expect that post may offend Inu-liger as well.  But that was not my intent.  However, you could also say it was my intent and I'm a troll.  

Also, what you may find abusive is not going to be the same as everyone on here.  I can call you a Shwacklehammer and you can either (1) look at your computer cockeyed and wonder why or (2) get mad and think up a better insult.  I'm thinking you're going to go with #1 and move on, as most people would.  But not everyone on here would.

So again, if you get rid of the trolls... then you have to get rid of everyone.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But for the record, and I will only say this one time ever, I really don't have a problem with anyone here on Queenzone.

I find humor in some that get ruffled by what I may say, and how they act like they speak for the entire World community when there's only about 30 people on here. 

I actually dig a lot of your posts.  But I did find humor in the fact that SIR GH roasted me for doing the EXACT same thing you did on the Kind Of Magic Signed LP thread... question legitimacy. 

Maybe Queenzone just needs a blanket dose of Prozac.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3608 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think Queenzone is full of trolls at all, there are a few disillusioned idiots but they are harmless enough. Compared to some message boards I frequent this website is whiter than white.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There aren't trolls. It's just some people (you know who you are) are just total assholes. If someone asks a stupid question on serious discussion, so what? If someone requests something that is totally unrealistic, so what? People get to hyped up over things on this forum and don't know how to talk nicely to others. Going back to the first thing we learned in elementary school... RESPECT


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18453 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is trolling when someone's purpose is purely to create conflict with others.  In the real world, these people are expelled from schools and fired from jobs.

There needs to be some kind of quality control to maintain civility at a forum.  It is not attractive to new users when the trolls are allowed to run the place.

Some people can't resist responding to trolls, which is unfortunate.  But people who want a decent place for civil discourse shouldn't have to pay the price for that.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3608 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ That for example is an example of an 'asshole' but he aint a troll.

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: Thistleboy, I meant no offense... I was generalizing your statement....  that's why I made note in parenthesis.  I actually DO find your entire post relevant.  

And of course I wasn't comparing you to Ghadaffi.

But you're solidifying my point, thanks.

How we perceive one's post is different from each individual.  Case in point, I pissed you off but didn't mean to.  I expect that post may offend Inu-liger as well.  But that was not my intent.  However, you could also say it was my intent and I'm a troll.  

Also, what you may find abusive is not going to be the same as everyone on here.  I can call you a Shwacklehammer and you can either (1) look at your computer cockeyed and wonder why or (2) get mad and think up a better insult.  I'm thinking you're going to go with #1 and move on, as most people would.  But not everyone on here would.

So again, if you get rid of the trolls... then you have to get rid of everyone.
=============================================================================================

I figured, but it is fun to get to the nitty-gritty lol.  Respect, my friend :)


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2017 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in this day and age,are you allowed to remove someone just for making comments?.
would that be classed as censorship,
i understand if the comments are rude or even threatining then whoever owns the site should remove the persons account.
but as many on here simply ignore the troll or trollers surley they do no harm.
i have myself have posted comments on here,then next day thought.what the hell were you doing david lol.
i know that some posted comments are there to antagonise others and get a reaction that they want(sort of lets get them infighting).
but in the end the internet is a free speach community(some bad i know),but thats life.
so let the trolls troll???ignore them they will get bored.
by the way,is a troller someone who likes fishing for comments?.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And here's where it gets tricky.

Sir GH wrote: It is trolling when someone's purpose is purely to create conflict with others.


On several occaisions, Sir GH has invited himself in on things that have no bearing on him.  Case in point?
The QUEEN LASERDISC thread in the collector's forum. 
Somebody had a mystery laserdisc and people were wondering what was on it.  I joked "Hangman, Studio Version".
To which Kurgan 100 replied that he thought my point was useless.  To which I retorted the same sentiment back....  (right back at ya, kid).   Harmless rhetoric.

But now Sir GH, out of the blue, posts:
Clearly kurgan is, because the person in question simply missed the above post.  A forum is a place where one may help another.  You are just being a right twat, no more than usual.
Your parents must be proud that their kid became an online bully.  Keep on trolling..


So has Sir GH just defined himself as a TROLL?

I'm sure he won't have a good answer to this question, but again, it's is quite humorous to me.  He's like one of those preachers who gets caught with his pants down. 

Don't get rid of trolls, they provide too much entertainment.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course, if the purpose of Sir GH's post was to help things and I totally misunderstood it, then I should be reprimanded.  A good 'ol fashioned fourth grade name calling session is healthy every once in a while.

Regardless, I hope that doesn't make Bob think I don't like him or find his Queen and related posts quite a waste of time...  actually it's the opposite.

But if he'd like to step in now and simply call me a twat again, I would actually get a chuckle from that, too.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I troll the forum by posting nonsensical topics about the "best versions of songs." :)


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote: I troll the forum by posting nonsensical topics about the "best versions of songs." :) =============================================================================================

this is true, you're one of the biggest trolls on the forum :).......in fact, you've just given me an idea for a new thread on the personal section.


It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!