Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen "Live" at Madison Square Garden - NYC - Feb./1977

forum rss feed
Author

Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 936 posts
add to buddy list send PM

moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 384 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice one mate.. Wonder how much more there is...Also, its not The Feb gig...It's one of the November ones....So from what he says I wonder if he also filmed the February gig & is getting mixed up? That would be cool if he did.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 928 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazing stuff. This night or the other one made a huge impact on Brian in relation to his father. Can be seen in the Days of our Lives video.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18452 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazing find!  Thanks for posting.

It's either Dec 1 or 2, 1977.  The tape runs so fast that I can't tell off hand which night it is.  When I get a chance I'll slow the speed down and compare it to the audience recordings to determine which night it is.  But since My Melancholy Blues isn't included I'm inclined to think it's the second night.

The night that Brian's folks saw Queen was Feb 5.  The documentary is a bit anachronistic simply because there was accompanying footage from the Houston 77 show, so it made sense from an artistic and continuity viewpoint to mention it at that point in the documentary.

I've already messaged the filmer over youtube to see if we can get the uncut 8mm film on DVD.  Just one person should do this ... please, no bombarding, as these situations are often delicate.  This has to be done right :-)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2709 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, amazing footage! Always glad to see something new. Would be great if we could get the uncut tape.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3169 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's from the second night (12/2/1977)! I compared vocal phrasings!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well done, Greg .. as I had suspected !

Now we just need someone to synch the better audio to the video and correct the speed.  Maybe for the Boston '77 8mm video too.

This video is probably all that exists.  8mm reels were 3 minutes long, and judging by the filmer's comments, this was the only reel.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 06 Sep 11, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow great news and yet another great thing that happened this week!

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Yamaguchi user not visiting Queenzone.com
Rock'n Roll Superman
Yamaguchi
Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How wonderful the moment is!
I hope we would get better video..

The Greatest Rock'n Roll Hearted Man.
Victorvil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 124 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amazing footage. i wonder how many tapes are stacked in some people's basements. Hope more private footage appears

love kills----
drjones user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant stuff ! Thanks to the taper !

all your love tonight.......
on my way up user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2144 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow!

Wonderful how the new stuff keeps on coming:-)

I'll never get enough though!:-)

on my way up
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 501 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice work Greg! The other hint is that Freddie, although the footage doesn't do it any justice, is wearing  the red and green harlequin leotard. This is a practice that he did when playing a city for more than one night. Great footage to see! Thanks for sharing it with us!!!

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1303 posts

Posted: 07 Sep 11, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

good find! Thanks for the link.
I hope the taper decides to have film transferred with a good flash scanner.

Denis J. Siri Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 12, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello ...

... This is to inform you that you were Absolutely given NO Complete PERMISSION over two years ago to proceed to rip, and in effect steal my copyrighted "live" footage from my you tube channel...I had known NOTHING about this until this past week... and I am very Very Unhappy about all of this ..

... the performance was in 1977 and I really find it to be such horrible form to Not Even Have given me a credit with this and I own all of the original footage... I am sorry, this was all just so very underhanded and I suppose it all makes "sense" I suppose...

...thanks for "everything!!!"...

.. Denis Siri ...

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 12, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

way to go with getting your knickers in a twist

you may own the actual piece of tape you recorded it onto...but you DON'T own the footage. it is certainly NOT your copyright

1. if you were recording this as part of an assignment where you employed by the band - then it belongs to the band

2. if you recorded it yourself then you did this illegally - as all tickets (certainly from the 70s/80s) state "no cameras,no recording equipment allowed) - by virtue of this you'd be claiming to own something you stole. bit perverse

either way, it ain't yours, and while i don't condone what the "ripper" has done, i disagree with your holier than thou attitude moreso

good luck with suing his ass lol

go deo na hÉireann
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 12, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great, it got removed. Fuck you!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Dec 12, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Denis,

With all due respect - we're in the information age. People share things with one another, and quickly. And a band with international appeal like Queen is going to reach people of all ages in all corners of the world. One of the people you're upset with is a teenager 5 thousand miles away from you - possibly in a country with different copyright laws from yours.

If you don't want people to enjoy the things you filmed, then you shouldn't put them online. They're bound to end up on some other youtube channel sooner than later. And it's nothing personal. Having one's video copied could be seen a sign of flattery - they liked what you offered.

So I invite you to try to understand that nobody is trying to steal your property. They're just excited that new footage popped up and they want to share it. If you want someone to credit you, just ask for it and they'll very likely oblige.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 14 Dec 12, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brenski,

He may not own the licensing and publishing rights to the songs themselves, but the footage certainly can be copyrighted to him if has the master.

If it was his 8mm footage of a book store in which he filmed book covers, it is his footage. The books aren't his, but the footage itself certainly is.

The "no cameras" rule is arbitrarily imposed by the venue. They are not law enforcement officers. The reality is - a performance itself isn't somehow bound by copyright. Songs are, and that's where the legalities of recorded material become involved.

I went to see a performance of Handel's Messiah tonight. Had the usher told me I wasn't allowed to film, I'd have every right to tell them to go fuck themselves since the songs are in the public domain. If they asked us not to take flash photography out of courtesy to the musicians, common decency would have me oblige - but I am not legally required to.

The performance itself is just a bunch of musicians playing on a stage. If Muse went out tomorrow night and played a concert consisting purely of material they wrote last week and you filmed it, it would be completely legal - until the songs are licensed and published. Until then, they are not bound by copyright and your film is legal on all levels.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 12, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RW - your example of Handel is an unfair comparison - public domain songs no loinger have copyright
rock bands music has copyright, and recording - audio or video of any performance of a bands songs - as performed by them is a breach of copyright
unless of course the band9s) in question forget to renew their copyright (is that at 50 years?)

as regards the "no cameras rule" this is printed ont he tickets - and this was done originally long ago - when tickets for gigs were issued from the promoters offices. this was done to protect the interests of their "client" - the artists

go deo na hÉireann