Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Japanese lyrics

forum rss feed
Author

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Sep 11, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have always wondered who taught Freddie/Brian some Japanese so that they could write the lyrics to La Japonaise/Teo Torriatte. Is there any information about it? (I haven´t found anything)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Sep 11, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They had a lot of groupies in Japan.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Sep 11, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.freetranslation.com/

and don't say "it wasn't possible...the internet didn't exist then"
anything is possible...freddie wrote about AIDS (Bohemian Rhpasody) in 1975 - 5 years before it was in the wild   ;-)


go deo na hÉireann
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Sep 11, 16:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They had a Japanese interpreter, whom they flown from Japan. At the end of the day, writing FOUR LINES in a foreign language isn't too hard to do. Just aid yourself with a dictionary and a basic grammar guideline and voila!

Now, actually SPEAKING the language ... that's a whole different matter. But writing a four-line stanza is way easier.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: They had a Japanese interpreter, whom they flown from Japan. At the end of the day, writing FOUR LINES in a foreign language isn't too hard to do. Just aid yourself with a dictionary and a basic grammar guideline and voila!

Now, actually SPEAKING the language ... that's a whole different matter. But writing a four-line stanza is way easier.
=======================================
Don't tell me what speaking a language is like, because I speak four, and I know that usually a dictionary and a grammar guideline are not enough.

Thank you for your answer!

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Silken wrote: Sebastian wrote: They had a Japanese interpreter, whom they flown from Japan. At the end of the day, writing FOUR LINES in a foreign language isn't too hard to do. Just aid yourself with a dictionary and a basic grammar guideline and voila!

Now, actually SPEAKING the language ... that's a whole different matter. But writing a four-line stanza is way easier.
=======================================
Don't tell me what speaking a language is like, because I speak four, and I know that usually a dictionary and a grammar guideline are not enough.

Thank you for your answer!
======

You are right, but what you are forgetting is that the 'Japanese' in question is extremely poor - I have a few friends who speak the language, and it tends to make them laugh when they hear Teo Torriatte, because the Japanese in there is comparable to the English you often find in manuals for Chinese/Japanese products.

It's just a rather poor literal translation of the English into Japanese, with a few (apparently funny) errors.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Silken user not visiting Queenzone.com
Silken
Bohemian: 272 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ThomasQuinn wrote:

======

You are right, but what you are forgetting is that the 'Japanese' in question is extremely poor - I have a few friends who speak the language, and it tends to make them laugh when they hear Teo Torriatte, because the Japanese in there is comparable to the English you often find in manuals for Chinese/Japanese products.

It's just a rather poor literal translation of the English into Japanese, with a few (apparently funny) errors. ======================================

That's another thing that I wanted to know and that I forgot to ask previously, if there was here someone from Japan (or someone who speaks Japanese) that could tell us if such lyrics are correct (apaprently they're not!).

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not that they're incorrect per se. They're ... well, unnatural for native speakers. Same as if somebody took an English vocabulary of 20-30 words and wrote a chorus saying something like:

I like dogs and cats
A house is fun and nice
I dislike some rats
I want to eat some rice

You don't need to be fluent in English to write something like that and, while it's grammatically correct, it's pretty poor for a lyric. So no, you do not need to speak the language to write something like that. I'm sure I could write something just as nonsensical in Latin or Welsh, with only a dictionary and a grammar guideline.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the sleeve notes for A Day at the Races, Queen thanked their Japanese friends. I'm at work, so I don't have it with me, but it's something like that.


Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 08:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you bothered reading my website, her name is there. However, please don't bother, my site's pants. Hopefully, within one or two weeks I'll upload a far, far, faaaaaaaaaar better one.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: If you bothered reading my website, her name is there. However, please don't bother, my site's pants. Hopefully, within one or two weeks I'll upload a far, far, faaaaaaaaaar better one.
======

You've been saying that for years....

...granted, you've also been *doing* so for years, but that's not the point :P


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Sep 11, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

>>> You've been saying that for years....

And I'll keep saying that. The next version will be up before the end of the week. It's far better than the current one, but it's still very poor compared to what I want it to eventually become.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.