Forums > Queen - General Discussion > brian may dated mary austin?????

forum rss feed
Author

lifetimefanofqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
lifetimefanofqueen
Royalty: 1328 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doing a study on brian may for ASDAN and i found a site that said he dated mary austin from 1970 - 1973

i know you shouldnt believe verything you read but seriously did he??????

my girlfriend and i are in a state of shock as we hate mary austin because i just got to the bit in mercury and me where mary turned into a cunt, (my gf  has mercury and me too but im beating her at reading it! HA!)

cb5000 user not visiting Queenzone.com
cb5000
Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

doubtfully. i think shes been with freddie since the late 60's. dont take my word for it though.
p.s is the website this one http://www.whosdatedwho.com/tpx_4379/brian-may/

MmP user not visiting Queenzone.com
I like HotSpace FunIt &Delilah
MmP
Champion: 85 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brian him self stated the he and mary dated a couple of times, that's how fred and mary met.

I have a man-crush on Brian's solo on Delilah
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1703 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is discussed in detail in Freddie's "The Untold Story" documentary. Brian dated Mary for a while and then they remained friends. Eventually, Freddie actually asked him if it was Ok if he asked Mary out on a date, which he did. The rest is history.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 486 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sounds about right

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lifetimefanofqueen wrote:

my girlfriend and i are in a state of shock as we hate mary austin because i just got to the bit in mercury and me where mary turned into a cunt, (my gf  has mercury and me too but im beating her at reading it! HA!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
firstly, you eblieve every embitetred load of old bollox you read in books?
secondly,  when did Mary turn into a cunt? cos Freddie is likely to leave EVERYTHING to a cunt isn't he? cos that's the oNE thing that struck me abotu Freddie...gullible fool!!!!

go deo na hÉireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18458 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, she is 14 or something..

I would've been a bit more diplomatic, but needless to say, maybe this is the moment where she learns that books don't always tell history as it was, and that authors can have personal agendas and/or dollar signs in their eyes that are bigger than their ethics..

Mary is not a cunt.  She remained a true friend - she kept her mouth shut about Freddie's personal life, as per his wishes in life.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 501 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 19:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well put Bob! Loyalty is the key to her relationship with Freddie and a mutual respect between them.It seems as though were both protective of each other as well.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 11 Sep 11, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mutual loyalty and respect, by all appearances,yes. "Keeping her mouth shut about Freddie's personal life", I'm afraid not. Wasn't necessary to do the latter to maintain the former, for her or anybody else.

jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 02:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Well, she is 14 or something..

I would've been a bit more diplomatic, but needless to say, maybe this is the moment where she learns that books don't always tell history as it was, and that authors can have personal agendas and/or dollar signs in their eyes that are bigger than their ethics..

Mary is not a cunt.  She remained a true friend - she kept her mouth shut about Freddie's personal life, as per his wishes in life.

---

Mary took part in at least one of the BBC Freddie documentaries and she invited the press into Garden Lodge for an interview and for photos.

Mary's a cunt in the way she treated Peter, Joe, and Jim, and ultimately Freddie.  Peter, Joe, and Jim were Freddie's family and Mary couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1113 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

[quote]mary took part in at least one of the BBC Freddie documentaries and she invited the press into Garden Lodge for an interview and for photos.[/quote]

It was an ITV documentary, she pretty much said what was very common knowledge, Freddie used to come into her cafe with Brian and roger, she could tell he liked her, one day after whispering to Brian over a milkshake he plucked up the courage to ask her out. It was more her life than his. Not really selling out considering the time she was friends with him.

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 04:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to the poster above well said!

queenfan78.1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm in the opinion that Mary was a cunt in the way she treated Jim, Joe and Peter. It's as if her true feelings about freddies life style were aimed at his friends and family. I personally dont think she came off very well in the untold story, you can see how she has this resentment for freddie (with regard to his lifestyle and being dumped all those years ago) under the surface.

cb5000 user not visiting Queenzone.com
cb5000
Champion: 73 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i apologize,according to freddie mercury the untold story, he did date her a few times around that time. but definetly not 3 years

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hell hath no fury...

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

malicedoom wrote: Hell hath no fury...
---

... like a homophobic fag hag.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So everyone in Freddie's life has to get along?

Just because all these people were close to Freddie doesn't mean they were close to each other. With Freddie gone, why should Mary feel compelled to remain part of their lives. Maybe it was too hard for her emotionally to stay in touch. Maybe she just didn't like them. That doesn't make her a "cunt," nor does discussing Freddie in interviews. The cone of silence was lifted pretty much when Freddie told the press he had AIDS the day before he died. Mary hasn't tried to capitalize on their relationship in any financial way, she hasn't a written a book or toured the media doing "tell all" interviews, unlike the very people she's accused of cutting out of her life. Maybe *that's* why she doesn't communicate with them, because of their attempts to make money on Freddie's life and death. Mary's kept a low profile all through Queen's existence, why should she change it now?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard that Freddie dated Brian May, but always called him "Mary".  So they had to find a good cover story so no one would know.

It just got outta hand.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18458 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

So everyone in Freddie's life has to get along?

========================

Yes, of course!  Otherwise the person who kept the lowest profile is a cunt.  See how that works?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remain baffled at the apparent need to elevate Mary to something like sainthood at the expense of the others in Fred's life.  She seems to be a lovely, gentle person who enjoyed a unique, loyal and inspirational friendship with somebody we all admire.   Why the need to leap beyond that and assign her all these extra character traits and motivations we really can know nothing about?   She was hardly always reticent and her spread in OK! magazine (a slightly trashier version of People Magazine as far as I can tell) in 2000 was as gratuitous as any interview I've seen from anybody else in Fred's life.  Maybe she didn't write a book because she's shy by nature, or maybe she was just busy raising a family, or maybe she didn't have to consider making an investment in time to flesh out Freddie as a complex and substantial human being because two other people did it for her.

As I said before, I do understand the gut reaction and the books certainly can be criticized, but nobody has yet made any case beyond the fact that we're just supposed to be appalled on principle because somebody cut somebody a cheque.  Books of any nature should be judged first on whether they make a positive contribution.  If they do, that somebody was compensated for their time and insight is not that important in the grand scheme of things.  They presumably wouldn't be different books if they were written for free.  Just because you or I can't imagine choosing an undertaking like that from our own limited perspective (and I can't really imagine it), doesn't mean we know everything we need to know to make a fair judgement.  As I've pointed out what feels like a dozen times, they're largely sentimental fluff.  It's not like anybody wrote Mommie Dearest.  Time to cut those guys a break I think.  And time to rethink the canonization of Mary while were at it.