Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > No more hoarding Queen boots

forum rss feed
Author

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For years, I've posted here and there about the need for those of you who possess video and audio boots that are not yet shared to begin sharing them with everyone else.  But I haven't made a systematic effort to overcome the inertia of years of hoarding.
The time has come for that to change.
I know that putting pressure on the so-called "ubers" -- I prefer "hoarders," since the word is more clear -- is sometimes thought to be counterproductive or foolish. I can live with that. I haven't seen much evidence in the past few years that stepping lightly around those who have this stuff makes them more likely to share it.
What I have learned is that many Queen fans have some material they are not allowed to share. Some of it is great. Some of it isn't. But all of it should be freely available to everyone who cares.
So here's my offer to start things rolling: Anyone who wants to share but doesn't want it known that they're sharing can send things to me, either anonymously or by contacting me directly. ANYTHING I RECEIVE WILL BE FREELY SHARED AS QUICKLY AS I CAN DO IT.
I won't tell anyone where the material comes from. I won't listen to those who say it can't be shared for this reason or that. I will simply make sure it is passed along widely and quickly.
If you want to lend a hand in undermining the hoarder mentality that keeps great stuff off-limits, send me a copy. You can write to me at []kevinrm15@gmail.com[/] and I will send you my snail mail address. You can always get a one-time email account to contact me and then never use it again, if you want to protect yourself more fully.
I don't even have to know who you are.
Please contact me, too, if you want to help. Can you upload to QZ? Let me know. Can you make a half dozen copies for a big new vine? Let me know. Can you send out a dozen freebies if I send you a copy? Let me know.
This needs to be a community effort to change the way things have been.
I have great confidence that some material that hasn't yet seen the light may come forward if we make the effort. So let's try.  And go ahead and scoff if you like.  The proof here is whether it works.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 21:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amen. Time to have those hoarders come out of their hiding places. Queen were to great of a live band to have great recordings that are laying around go to waste.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, the good ol' hoarding plea... with a twist.  Best of luck to you on this one.

Regardless of the reason, it always saddens me when a piece of history is swallowed up by the ether.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 12 Sep 11, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My feeling isn't exactly that everyone deserves these things, or is entitled to it - my thinking is that in the interests of keeping this shit preserved, it should really be in as many places as possible.  It bothers me that 1 (one) person allegedly has a copy of some Hangman recording.  A single copy - I'm sure it's tucked away safely, but if you ask me there isn't a safe enough hidey-hole in all of the world for rare recordings.  You cannot beat the universal law of "SHIT HAPPENS".

I say this more as a means of screwing Queen Productions, and in the interests of rarities being preserved by way of spreading them out (because once they're out, they'll never be unavailable to anyone), and as an avenue to allowing fresh discussion of said rarities (quite a few people would not be able to yap so freely about old Queen gigs if it weren't for Gregsynth uploading them on Youtube, for instance - it's just another way of putting this stuff to a potentially new audience who might not otherwise be able to get at these recordings).  

Upload it all, take all you can get; spread this shit like confetti, I say.  That's just how I feel.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: My feeling isn't exactly that everyone deserves these things, or is entitled to it - my thinking is that in the interests of keeping this shit preserved, it should really be in as many places as possible.  It bothers me that 1 (one) person allegedly has a copy of some Hangman recording.  A single copy - I'm sure it's tucked away safely, but if you ask me there isn't a safe enough hidey-hole in all of the world for rare recordings.  You cannot beat the universal law of "SHIT HAPPENS".

I say this more as a means of screwing Queen Productions, and in the interests of rarities being preserved by way of spreading them out (because once they're out, they'll never be unavailable to anyone), and as an avenue to allowing fresh discussion of said rarities (quite a few people would not be able to yap so freely about old Queen gigs if it weren't for Gregsynth uploading them on Youtube, for instance - it's just another way of putting this stuff to a potentially new audience who might not otherwise be able to get at these recordings).  

Upload it all, take all you can get; spread this shit like confetti, I say.  That's just how I feel.
============

Gary Taylor has said that the Hangman recording doesn't exist. He confirms that Queen did "play around with the song" during a recording session, but it wasn't recorded.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
The Real Wizard

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just because the band discarded an acetate in the 70s doesn't mean someone didn't somehow retrieve it.

That said, this recording will likely never be liberated, so let's stay on topic here.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Kevin's mostly talking about live recordings and specially those people who for some bizarre reason are hiding the fact that they have some kind of recording. It's amazing how a lot of them know how much light their recordings would bring to so many people, yet they keep on hoarding them. What's the point of having a recording like that if you just keep it for yourself!?!?! I understand if it's a recording of something personal but hoarding recordings of a band like Queen makes absolutely no sense. Oh well, it can't hurt to keep trying.

I thank you kevinrm15 for making this post. No sarcastic or demeaning answers are necessary.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Gary Taylor has said that the Hangman recording doesn't exist"

Well I did say 'allegedly'.  I didn't mean to talk about Hangman specifically - it's just worth noting that there would be rarities out there that only exist in one place, and I personally think that's a bad idea.  I will happily say to anyone out there that your safeplace is not safe enough.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Trust me, you would be surprised of what great stuff is in public hands, there are some people who have stolen or begged to get stuff from Queen's inner circle.  There is more Rainbow footage in the hands of the public than what was officially released.  There is much more amazing stuff beyond that.  Should it all be shared?  Yes.  Will it all be shared?  That's what I'm trying here.  Everything will leak out eventually even if it takes 5-10 years to do so.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: Just because the band discarded an acetate in the 70s doesn't mean someone didn't somehow retrieve it.
They must have been doing well to not only lose the stereo master such an acetate would be produced from, but also any safety copies and the multitracks. They have multiple takes of songs from the first 2 albums, so it's somewhat unlikely they would have erased potentially the only attempt at one song that they often played live (if such a recording ever existed).
How does GT know the band messed around with the song during a recording session, but didn't record it though? There'd be no studio records of the band arsing around with a song and then not laying anything down. If any studio recordings exist, it sounds like they are quick live takes, not laboured/overdubbed.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kevinrm15 wrote:

Everything will leak out eventually even if it takes 5-10 years to do so.

====================

Much can leak out, but everything?  Is every person with a Queen tape in a dusty box in their basement suddenly going to announce their existence to the world?

Even if every known hoarded recording leaked out tomorrow, there would still be dozens of further new tapes that would come out.

I admire your tenacity here, but let's be realistic :-)

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3053 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not like questioning integrity, but these questions have to be asked:  (1) how do the "hoarders" who share know that you ARE going to share, and aren't just doing this for a free copy for yourself?  (2) How do WE know that you are sharing all you get?

Not that I have anything stashed away, I'm just asking how this will work out?

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It goes like this.  There are some people who are probably unaware of what they are "hoarding".  Once they learn that what they have isn't shared they will want to share it.  I'm trying to find a way to get it out there without having a target pinned to their chests.  I have a feeling this might work, but I don't know how much.  What is in it for the ubers?  Nothing really, just good soundboards and pro-shots being freed.  If people want to share on their own, it is encouraged.  I am friends with the top posters on here such as Bob, Brian and Greg.  They know me pretty well and you seem like a pretty cool guy yourself.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a very good initiative. In fact, it was an initiative just like this that got us the Houston '77 video, so that's sufficient proof that this can work!

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kevinrm15 wrote: It goes like this.  There are some people who are probably unaware of what they are "hoarding".  Once they learn that what they have isn't shared they will want to share it.  I'm trying to find a way to get it out there without having a target pinned to their chests.  I have a feeling this might work, but I don't know how much.  What is in it for the ubers?  Nothing really, just good soundboards and pro-shots being freed.  If people want to share on their own, it is encouraged.  I am friends with the top posters on here such as Bob, Brian and Greg.  They know me pretty well and you seem like a pretty cool guy yourself. =============================================================================================

Nice:)  Like I say, I have nothing stashed away, but I hope that your campaign is effective!  It would be good if the rarities were outed - I can see why some folk would want to keep things to themselves, but at the same time, I agree entirely with this initiative and especially with Zeb's points on the matter.  As he says, shit happens, so for preservation's sake...

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks! Even if you don't have any rarities, you may know people who do.  Or even if you know someone who knows someone I'd sure like to hear about it!  We can potentially get somewhere if we all get the ball rolling!

GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 799 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anybody know who is hoarding live recordings of shows? Anybody on here?

You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GT wrote: Does anybody know who is hoarding live recordings of shows? Anybody on here? =============================================================================================

Yeah, and you work for them :)

greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thistleboy 1980 wrote: GT wrote: Does anybody know who is hoarding live recordings of shows? Anybody on here? =============================================================================================

Yeah, and you work for them :)

===========================================================================================

This made the mole and rice im eating come out of my nose

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guys, beating up on Gary will not help this matter.  He can't give out this stuff, if he did he'd lose his job.  But there are people out there who have uber material that don't work for Queen and would most likely not get bashed for sharing their stuff, that's what we want.