Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Why the hate for "Loser in the end"

forum rss feed
Author

amazinmets73 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Sep 11, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems I'm the only person in the world who likes this song. I think it's a wonderful, simple rocker, and Roger sounds great on it! Every other Queen fan hates it.

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this track, because it's so Roger in every way. The lyrics are very autobiographical, just like Tenement Funster. The drum sound is pretty amazing, especially the toms. I especially like the bridge.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

dive2063 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 03:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it too very much!! ))  great, heavy track

shanoon user not visiting Queenzone.com
shanoon
Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i like it too. one of my favs of the ones with roger on vocals, btw it was my fav song when i was 9 years old :) i'm almost 30 now

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These sort of posts irritate me somewhat. -after loving Queen for 37 years and most of their efforts, all of a sudden somebody claims there's a groundswell of negativity about a particular track, we've had scores on QZ !
Complete utter myths.
Tell you what, Wait 6 months and then post a negative claim about Bo Rhap or Killer Queen and you can guarantee there'll be some negative support, with the majority defending and extolling the said track.
Dont get me wrong, i'm not one for automatic loyalty to every Queen song, but the tracks i feel are not up to scratch i keep to myself 'cos i know it's just my particular taste and i would'nt dream of lobbying support against them( cos that's what these posts seem to incite, albeit in the minority) That's just the way it is.
I love loser in the end, you dont fool me , delilah, body language, stormtrooper in stillettos et al and the one's i dont like--i'll keep to myself.

Master marathon runner

Master Marathon Runner
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well said sir !!

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger was the BEST in writing bridges to songs.
Most of his songs have a middle section absolutely perfect for the song. 

Most of his chord changes are out of this world but fit perfectly. Best example is Drowse i.m.o.

PS: Loser in the End = great song!

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this song too. In my opinion, it's one of those underrated cool songs.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think the single biggest contributor to the "shit song /great song" grapevine are the ineptly put together threads which have such imaginative titles as "queen's worst top ten" or "queen's top 67 songs""

one things for sure....posting  "only"  a list of album tracks and marks out of ten (typically - low 8, high 10)...is only of interest to the other lobotomised trolls lurking around here

why the fuck people start these threads god only knows.....i personally couldn't give a flying f*ck what other fans like. for those who want to start these topics...try a different approach:

listen the the albums/tracks etc yourselves...and instead of making a f*cking pointless subjectively vacuous list...try posting a detailed appraisal/critique of the track/album in question.
some examples: the epic qualities of the solo, the range of the vocals, the depth or otherwise of the lyrics, or even how familiar Roger's skin-bashing-fills sound like a deja-vu of another track......anything...anything but ranking lists

go deo na hÉireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has always been said that Queen fans are intelligent., but maybe some of them aren't as intelligent as they think they are..

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Love The Song!!!!!! nothing more to say.

Joyful the sound
brENsKi

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: It has always been said that Queen fans are intelligent., but maybe some of them aren't as intelligent as they think they are..
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i think this shows up clearly on the forums. Queen seem to attract an almost child-like element that is non-existent on Floyd, Beatles, and Purple forums to name a few.
Is it any wonder Queen are not taken seriously when the forums are full of puerile threads?

if i had to make an observation about the comments, i'd say that the "seriously-taken" rock bands forums have comments that add something to an intially worthwhile thread, whereas queen's forums are full of the kind of throwaway remarks you get under youtube videos. "shit", "great" "in my top five any day" "wow"  etc etc

go deo na hÉireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The brilliant Aaron Sorkin once said, "I am all for everyone having a voice.  I just don't think everyone has earned the microphone.  And that's what the internet has done."

This place used to have a lot of great posters, and some are still here.  But the juvenile drivel and trolls have driven most of them away.  This is a prime example of how the "making everyone feel equal" attitude can bite you in the ass.

I was watching a spelling bee a couple weeks ago, and at the end of each round when the kids who spelled a word wrong were booted, the invigilator gave a speech thus: "You have conquered some challenging words, and we'd like to thank each of  you for participating.  You're all winners."

Had they not added that last line, maybe a few of these kids would accept that they are losers, and then subsequently set goals so that they can improve and one day be a genuine winner.  But because of this soccer-mom mentality that pervades our discourse surrounding children, many people don't find out that they're losers until their 20s or 30s.  I see it every day of my life.

And at online forums like this one, by having no quality control, everyone ultimately loses.  The quality of the discourse suffers, and people who should be reading a book or going out into the world to learn aren't doing it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 14:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH wrote: The brilliant Aaron Sorkin once said, "I am all for everyone having a voice.  I just don't think everyone has earned the microphone.  And that's what the internet has done."

This place used to have a lot of great posters, and some are still here.  But the juvenile drivel and trolls have driven most of them away.  This is a prime example of "making everyone feel equal" attitude can bite you in the ass.

I was watching a spelling bee a couple weeks ago, and at the end of each round when the kids who spelled a word wrong were booted, the invigilator gave a speech thus: "You have conquered some challenging words, and we'd like to thank each of  you for participating.  You're all winners."

Had they not added that last line, maybe a few of these kids would accept that they are losers, and then subsequently goals so that they can improve and one day be a genuine winner.  But because of this soccer-mom mentality that pervades our discourse surrounding children, many people don't find out that they're losers until their 20s or 30s.  I see it every day of my life.

And at online forums like this one, by having no quality control, everyone ultimately loses.  The quality of the discourse suffers, and people who should be reading a book or going out into the world to learn aren't doing it.
---------
Sure,bob! i just realize lately i´m 95% agree with you!

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
ludwigs user not visiting Queenzone.com
ludwigs
Bohemian: 459 posts

Posted: 14 Sep 11, 15:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very good points Bob!

In the UK exams HAVE got progressively easier over many years. These days so many students obtain 312 A-star grades!!!These people don't know simple arithmetic, grammar etc etc.... It IS a bug-bear of mine. Society has become a whiney, spineless domain.
The reasons that I employed someone was based on their interview, relevant experience etc.....
I was discussing some issues with some recent University graduates and they stated that a 'D' Grade and also 'E' is classed as a pass in an exam!!!!!!!! Not wanting to sound like an Old Git, I stated that, when we were young, anything below a 'C' was a fail!
I know times have changed and all youngsters have such stress nowadays but I can't help but despair. Stress was those in the World Wars, illness etc etc but I'll stop there.
Inane comments regarding songs, polls etc is all crap I reckon. The song here IS one that is fantastic. Simple in structure but nice work on the lead voc, drums, bass and lead guitar.(oh and mellotron)
My guess is that people that offer up threads with such stupid headers/themes/structure are really..............pretty shite! Offer some validity to your announcement and people MAY take your critique a little more seriously than the wailings of a fool?

Maybe they like GH 1, 2 and 3........or just the recent hits? Yawn...

ps: amizen: I'm not referring to you as you like this one.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 11, 02:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also like this song.

Nice lyrics with cool soundeffects, like the "slamming door". The drums are also great.

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 11, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dunno...I always thought this song was pretty cool...with the new remaster, it brings out alot more in terms of sonic quality than the HR version I was used to. No hate from me about this song!

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
AlbaNo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 15 Sep 11, 14:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If there is a negative to Loser in The End its that it doesnt really fit the sound and running order of the album Queen II.

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1021 posts

Posted: 16 Sep 11, 06:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I see your point.
It stands out from the album feeling - the same for White Man on A Day at the Races, I think.
These two songs has really grown on me, and now they are great!

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
brENsKi

Posted: 16 Sep 11, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlbaNo1 wrote: If there is a negative to Loser in The End its that it doesnt really fit the sound and running order of the album Queen II.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

wow. i disagree. it fits no worse than that pointless dirge "some day one day"

go deo na hÉireann