Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie's Best Album Vocally?

forum rss feed
Author

malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So on what (Queen) album do you think Freddie sounded his best overall?

For me, it'd have to be Jazz.

I'm not saying it's my favorite Queen album... but - to me - Freddie's voice sounds simply amazing on every song he sings.  Vocals on tracks like Don't Stop Me Now (where Freddie basically IS the instrument that concludes the song), In Only Seven Days, Jealousy, Dreamer's Ball... well you get the idea.  Just incredible.

I don't think he ever sounded better than he did on that album.

Thoughts?

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed.

He sounded amazing on tracks like Coming Soon and Staying Power as well.  I'd say his vocal peak in the studio was 78-82.  Live - 80-82.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Dan C. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Dan C.
Royalty: 1544 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Though I prefer other records to it, on "News of the World," Freddie's vocals had a perfect balance of sweet and scathing that should've been impossible even for him.

"The tri-tone is the Devil's interval, and he demands resolution." - Richard Lloyd
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space, Mr. Bad Guy, A Kind Of Magic, Barcelona, and Innuendo were his best vocal albums on a technical basis.

Barcelona in particular was Freddie's first album where he learned how to effectively use his head voice (Montserrat Caballe most likely helped Freddie out). Innuendo has some of Freddie's best high range and head voice singing of his career (Don't Try So Hard, Innuendo, The Hitman, The Show Must Go On, etc).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
ole-the-first user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack. Just listen to Nevermore and Lily of the Valley.

E-mail: oleggolubkin[AT]rambler.ru
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me it is A Kind Of Magic. Freddie sounds amazing on there, especially on Who Wants To Live Forever. When I listen to this song, it seems to me like it is an angel singing.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2578 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All songs which Freddie sung awesome and no matter is he author of  songs or is  not. His voice the best

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
Val Lurex

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rocknrolllover wrote: All songs which Freddie sung awesome and no matter is he author of  songs or is  not. His voice the best

Completely agreed !

Hangman
rocknrolllover

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote:

rocknrolllover wrote: All songs which Freddie sung awesome and no matter is he author of  songs or is  not. His voice the best

Completely agreed !

For me personally(I don`t care if somebody thinks otherwise) Freddie Mercury is the best very very best Singer, Composer.showman

Val Lurex

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rocknrolllover wrote:

Lostman wrote:

Completely agreed !

For me personally(I don`t care if somebody thinks otherwise) Freddie Mercury is the best very very best Singer, Composer.showman

For me he is too. He inspires me and he's the best man ever in the whole world for me.

Hangman
rocknrolllover

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote:

rocknrolllover wrote:

Lostman wrote:

Completely agreed !

For me he is too. He inspires me and he's the best man ever in the whole world for me.

Brother I completely agreed with you

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best vocal albums i think are A Night at the Opera, Races, News, Jazz, Game, and Hot Space. Specifically I would say I think he sounded the best on A Night at the Opera and Races. I think his tone was the best there. A lot of singers could hit high notes powerfully but I think it was Freddie's timbre that made his voice so beautiful and not the high notes. - The high notes are just a plus!

His worst vocal albums I think are Works, Magic, Miracle, and Innuendo. I'm not a fan of his thinned out voice on Innuendo - but that is something i am DEFINITELY not going to complain about as it wasn't in his power. Also I don't like his voice on Mr. Bad Guy. Cigarettes NEVER did well for his voice.

He sang well on the first few albums but to me, his voice wasn't quite developed then and sounded somewhat unstable at times.

But on an overall basis, he ALWAYS sounded great.. except for on a few live concerts ;) 

However, best live vocal period is late 1979-mid 1982.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cigarettes barely affected his timbre (it was more of his style to sing deeper/more macho, plus you lose power when smoking affects your voice). I have the feeling that when a certain part of Freddie's voice was at its peak/top form, he would tend to "show off" that specific part of his voice. Like in the mid 80s, his chest voice and vocal power were at its peak--so he would belt high notes (as high as D5/Eb5) and use his chest voice (mostly), to reach them. On stuff like Barcelona/Innuendo--his head voice got really strong and he preferred that lighter approach (though to be fair--his illness did have some factor on his Miracle era voice-onwards).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Works, Queen 2 and NOTW

"Give it to me one more time!"
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first 3 albums Queen as a band were on top of their game,  but freddie' voice was still Developing,  he was still in the top 5 rock singer's at the time though...maybe top 3...IMO,  It was ANATO that put him on that next level....his voice really filled out on that album..Queen at their best was the first 5 or 6, but freddie as a singer his best was  ANATO,, NOTW,JAZZ, Hot Space,  Mr. Bad guy, Barcelona.......ADATR,  AKOM, Innuendo  were other solid albums for him as well......

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For any album, I'd have to say Barcelona. But for just Queen, It'd probably be The Debut Album or Jazz.

Any way the wind blows...
shanoon user not visiting Queenzone.com
shanoon
Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 02:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

to me, news of the world and miracle have the best vocals.. but can't complain on any vocals on any albums. brilliant all the way

pietrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pietrek
Bohemian: 108 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 02:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo, no doubt

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 03:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANATO and ADATR for me, his voice is pretty much the same in both and he still used that soft falsetto that he stopped using these two albums. NOTW would be my next favourite.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
hauntofroulettedares user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 14 Jan 12, 01:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Night At The Opera...because of all the crazy multitracking and harmonies on tracks like Seaside Rendezvous. Not to mention he did all of the "woodwind instrumentation" using only his voice! Also, the vocal improvisation in The Prophets Song was pretty fucking epic.