Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Morgan: Mercury biopic on hold

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Peter Morgan has revealed he has put his Freddie Mercury biopic on hold for Sacha Baron Cohen.

The award-winning writer of The Queen and Frost/Nixon has written a film about the life of the late Queen singer and is keen for controversial comedian Sacha to play the lead.

Peter revealed at the London Film Festival screening of 360: "Well, Sacha Baron Cohen is currently making a film about a dictator and a goat herd, or something. He's busy doing that.

"So while he's away, for the best part of a year, we've sort of put the script in the fridge and we will revisit when he re-emerges."

He quipped: "As a dictator, or I hope he comes back as goat herd. He'll be easier to deal with."

The Ali G funnyman is starring in The Dictator, a Saddam Hussein-inspired comedy which he wrote himself.

The film is said to be based on Zabibah And The King, a romance novel the CIA believes was penned by ghost-writers under the influence of former Iraqi dictator Saddam and published under his name.

The comedy is due to be released worldwide on May 11, 2012 by Paramount Pictures.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jOxl8BIBzICvFbQ_pItX7oMffUnQ?docId=N0057771318517562129A

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts

Posted: 14 Oct 11, 22:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hope this isn't a sign this movie will never see the light of day....

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hope this is.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18455 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I strongly suspect Brian didn't like where the movie was going, so they pulled the plug.

He would have never agreed to this movie in the first place had he not had creative veto power.  And good on him - he has every right to ensure the movie would be free of fabrications purely meant to make Hollywood money.

Hollywood and Freddie Mercury never sounded like a good mix.  I liked the idea of a new generation experiencing Queen at Live Aid at the end of the movie, but there was always the question of whether or not they were going to focus too much on Freddie's gay club life instead of the actual plot pf the movie - his relationship with the band between 1980-85.  Looks like we just got the answer.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 692 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too suspect there's a disagreement between the band (mainly Brian) and the film makers

a few years ago, someone "leaked" a script (or at least a synopsis), which focued mainly on Freddie's wild lifestyle.

and as much as he might have indulged - the world has always known him, and WILL always know him, for his music.
if the focus of the film is not mainly music - I applaud Brian's decision to pull the plug on the whole project.

the movie is the last chance the band has to win over USA again (let's face it, this queen extravaganza thing won't...) - so if they go the "sex ,drugs and a touch of rock n roll on the side" route, it'll be an instant smash.
let's hope integrity wins

Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I too had reservations about it. However, the idea of there being a film about Freddie (and with SBC playing him, and it being written by Peter Morgan) is really appealing to me. Even if there is an over-emphasis on his personal life, it will have to also focus on his musical career, and if that means that he can attain the recognition which he deserved but did not get, then I would be happy with that. I mean, while he was extremely famous, he isn't spoken of as an icon, and in the Lennon/Jagger vein, at least in the US. Anyway, the one film which I do NOT want to be made is the WWRY musical.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1567 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 18:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the Hollywood people think that only a scandal and controversy can sell a movie, then I hope a biopic in this vein will not come on.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 15 Oct 11, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think an inaccurate biopic would harm his legacy all that much.  If anything, these things actually have the reverse effect of educating people, because there's always someone around to tell you just how many lies are in the movie.  I don't even care if he doesn't have big teeth in this movie, it'll be good for a laugh.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2739 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 11, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote: Hope this is.

same here. Sacha Baron Cohen... why?

Seems like just an excuse for this guy to ham it up and kiss more men on screen. (Something that - despite the fact there are sooo many gay actors, seldom gets portrayed on the screen) A ploy to generate self controversy and milk his stupid career based on bad taste and 12 yr old morons. Hopefully they'd give dignity, trouble and strife to the man's life rather than go for extremes and well...ah...

Sir GH summed up the suspicion well... who knows?

I figure if it wouldn't see the light on the 40th then it probably wouldn't. Ever.

Maybe the man's private life should just be left to speculation.

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "
Shvili user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 18 Oct 11, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good!
SBC should keep on playing parodies of dictators, French car racers, journalists form Kazakhstan etc. this list can
go on and on..

Yes, I'm typecasting him.

Nothing really matters in the end.
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 11, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Told ya.

This movie ain't happening people.  Brian didn't pull a plug.  A producer never put it on hold. 

It never got off the ground!  All that publicity was to "test the waters".  Waters were ice cold.  Cohen didn't sign anything, it was brought up to him at a lunch or something.  He said, "uh-huh".  And you've all been hoping for Johnny Depp and James Cameron to sign on.

Move on.  There will never be a Queen Biopic at the motion picture level.  Just go watch Days Of Our Lives again and be content.

queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 19 Oct 11, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh oh the night comes down
... and it's dark again
... and it's dark again
... and it's dark again

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 11, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I have NO interest in the biopic, other than the additional publicity the band would end up getting because of its release (whether it's good, bad or otherwise) - that part, I'd enjoy.

"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 11, 14:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Just go watch Days Of Our Lives again and be content"

Already was doing that...

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4258 posts

Posted: 20 Oct 11, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just watch "Mr Postman XI: Swordfights In My Mouth" instead. Plot is basically the same, except for the ending.