Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What was up with Freddie's voice at Hyde Park '76?

forum rss feed
Author

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Oct 11, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure we all know this concert. It's one of my favorite shows but for some reason, I never liked Freddie's voice during this gig. Except for on a few songs, I've always that he he sounds extremely unstable throughout and sings out of key on so many songs. Even on sources without the fluttering, his voice doesn't sound right. Just compare versions of White Queen or The Prophet's Song to earlier versions played throughout the year (even on most Japan versions he sounds more stable). I have possible suggestions to why he sounded like this specifically at Hyde Park:

1. This idea was partially thought of by gregsynth but maybe he caught a cold when performing in the rain in Cardiff and was still a little sick during the Hyde Park show. - (this explains his thin voice) 

2. It was mostly nerves because it was their biggest crowd yet (by far!) and anybody would be nervous. 

3. The monitors weren't loud enough so Freddie couldn't hear himself - (this explains the singing out of key) 

Also, what's weird about this gig is that he gave one of his best live performances during You Take My Breath Away yet sounded awful on some sections of other songs. 

Queenzone is a place with smart queen fans.. so I figured I'd ask to see what people think.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 00:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



jamster1111 wrote: I'm sure we all know this concert. It's one of my favorite shows but for some reason, I never liked Freddie's voice during this gig. Except for on a few songs, I've always that he he sounds extremely unstable throughout and sings out of key on so many songs. Even on sources without the fluttering, his voice doesn't sound right. Just compare versions of White Queen or The Prophet's Song to earlier versions played throughout the year (even on most Japan versions he sounds more stable). I have possible suggestions to why he sounded like this specifically at Hyde Park:

1. This idea was partially thought of by gregsynth but maybe he caught a cold when performing in the rain in Cardiff and was still a little sick during the Hyde Park show. - (this explains his thin voice) 

2. It was mostly nerves because it was their biggest crowd yet (by far!) and anybody would be nervous. 

3. The monitors weren't loud enough so Freddie couldn't hear himself - (this explains the singing out of key) 

Also, what's weird about this gig is that he gave one of his best live performances during You Take My Breath Away yet sounded awful on some sections of other songs. 

Queenzone is a place with smart queen fans.. so I figured I'd ask to see what people think.

Yes... i`ve to admit there`s some strange with freddie`s voice in that gig... but at the moment the only song with EXCELENT audio quality that i heard from the hyde park gig is YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY... maybe there was a problem with monitors but the multitracks (and only You take my breath comes from Multitracks -even the Sweet Lady on ANATO 25th aniversary dvd comes from a Soundboard recording since souns identic to a version shown on TV in 1977-) were recorded well... that`s why many songs (except YTMBA) sounds strange... it`s only a hypothesis... With a good remix (ala TATOOL documentary) the gig could sound AWESOME... i don`t know about the picture quality there`s people who say that some "places" of the 16 mm film are damaged or someting like that...


"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
pittrek user is on Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that's just the problem with the sound quality of the available recordings

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



MERQRY wrote:


jamster1111 wrote: I'm sure we all know this concert. It's one of my favorite shows but for some reason, I never liked Freddie's voice during this gig. Except for on a few songs, I've always that he he sounds extremely unstable throughout and sings out of key on so many songs. Even on sources without the fluttering, his voice doesn't sound right. Just compare versions of White Queen or The Prophet's Song to earlier versions played throughout the year (even on most Japan versions he sounds more stable). I have possible suggestions to why he sounded like this specifically at Hyde Park:

1. This idea was partially thought of by gregsynth but maybe he caught a cold when performing in the rain in Cardiff and was still a little sick during the Hyde Park show. - (this explains his thin voice) 

2. It was mostly nerves because it was their biggest crowd yet (by far!) and anybody would be nervous. 

3. The monitors weren't loud enough so Freddie couldn't hear himself - (this explains the singing out of key) 

Also, what's weird about this gig is that he gave one of his best live performances during You Take My Breath Away yet sounded awful on some sections of other songs. 

Queenzone is a place with smart queen fans.. so I figured I'd ask to see what people think.

Yes... i`ve to admit there`s some strange with freddie`s voice in that gig... but at the moment the only song with EXCELENT audio quality that i heard from the hyde park gig is YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY... maybe there was a problem with monitors but the multitracks (and only You take my breath comes from Multitracks -even the Sweet Lady on ANATO 25th aniversary dvd comes from a Soundboard recording since souns identic to a version shown on TV in 1977-) were recorded well... that`s why many songs (except YTMBA) sounds strange... it`s only a hypothesis... With a good remix (ala TATOOL documentary) the gig could sound AWESOME... i don`t know about the picture quality there`s people who say that some "places" of the 16 mm film are damaged or someting like that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvj4-X55az4&feature=related

To MERQRY and Pittrek

That is also from the same multitrack mix. Yes the awful quality of the audio we have for most of the gig doesn't help matters but he still sounds out off key in some spots and sounds different than he did at Edinburgh which only a few days before the Hyde Park gig. Awful recording quality doesn't make THAT much of a difference.

Also you can listen to the audience recording. It's strange because the note he is cracking on aren't even high notes.. in several examples they are lower notes. He actually has his full range at this gig and is able to hit some of the key high notes in songs.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2576 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 04:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



jamster1111 wrote: I'm sure we all know this concert. It's one of my favorite shows but for some reason, I never liked Freddie's voice during this gig. Except for on a few songs, I've always that he he sounds extremely unstable throughout and sings out of key on so many songs. Even on sources without the fluttering, his voice doesn't sound right. Just compare versions of White Queen or The Prophet's Song to earlier versions played throughout the year (even on most Japan versions he sounds more stable). I have possible suggestions to why he sounded like this specifically at Hyde Park:

1. This idea was partially thought of by gregsynth but maybe he caught a cold when performing in the rain in Cardiff and was still a little sick during the Hyde Park show. - (this explains his thin voice) 

2. It was mostly nerves because it was their biggest crowd yet (by far!) and anybody would be nervous. 

3. The monitors weren't loud enough so Freddie couldn't hear himself - (this explains the singing out of key) 

Also, what's weird about this gig is that he gave one of his best live performances during You Take My Breath Away yet sounded awful on some sections of other songs. 

Queenzone is a place with smart queen fans.. so I figured I'd ask to see what people think.

================================================================================================

If QPL had time for more thorough remastering of this concert, they could fix  nuances which possibly are in this concert. And once again make a reservation, I do not believe that this concert in archives QPL  not very good. quality.
From any of the concert about which   they tell "not very good quality" possible  make concert  very good quality. But apparently all the power and energy, QPL spends in the other direction




I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even being in not a very good shape, Freddie still sounds great. I don't think his voice has something to do with the recording quality. I mean his voice doesn't sound that good because of bad recording quality. But if they fully remastered it, it would be amazing.


"I really feel like being evil tonight."
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you can't get sick from standing in the rain...


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was HIV.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 402 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leotards are too tight, thata the problem.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



rocknrolllover wrote:


jamster1111 wrote: I'm sure we all know this concert. It's one of my favorite shows but for some reason, I never liked Freddie's voice during this gig. Except for on a few songs, I've always that he he sounds extremely unstable throughout and sings out of key on so many songs. Even on sources without the fluttering, his voice doesn't sound right. Just compare versions of White Queen or The Prophet's Song to earlier versions played throughout the year (even on most Japan versions he sounds more stable). I have possible suggestions to why he sounded like this specifically at Hyde Park:

1. This idea was partially thought of by gregsynth but maybe he caught a cold when performing in the rain in Cardiff and was still a little sick during the Hyde Park show. - (this explains his thin voice) 

2. It was mostly nerves because it was their biggest crowd yet (by far!) and anybody would be nervous. 

3. The monitors weren't loud enough so Freddie couldn't hear himself - (this explains the singing out of key) 

Also, what's weird about this gig is that he gave one of his best live performances during You Take My Breath Away yet sounded awful on some sections of other songs. 

Queenzone is a place with smart queen fans.. so I figured I'd ask to see what people think.

================================================================================================

If QPL had time for more thorough remastering of this concert, they could fix  nuances which possibly are in this concert. And once again make a reservation, I do not believe that this concert in archives QPL  not very good. quality.
From any of the concert about which   they tell "not very good quality" possible  make concert  very good quality. But apparently all the power and energy, QPL spends in the other direction




I totally agree. Most of these things are easily fixable with a little bit of tweaking here and there. If they could fix this up like they did on Rock Montreal, it would make for an incredible release.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd drive over 10 chinese children to get an official release of this concert.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2803 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Holly2003 wrote: I'd drive over 10 chinese children to get an official release of this concert.


that's not funny. Going overboard. Please stick with ragging on the absurd... like kiddie pop bands... that was too close to being sociopathic


"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



matt z wrote:


Holly2003 wrote: I'd drive over 10 chinese children to get an official release of this concert.


that's not funny. Going overboard. Please stick with ragging on the absurd... like kiddie pop bands... that was too close to being sociopathic


it's ok matt z, i would do the same.. i'd probably even run over 10 chinese children anyw... never mind.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Zebonka12 wrote: It was HIV.


Agreed.


Any way the wind blows...
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



jamster1111 wrote:


matt z wrote:


Holly2003 wrote: I'd drive over 10 chinese children to get an official release of this concert.


that's not funny. Going overboard. Please stick with ragging on the absurd... like kiddie pop bands... that was too close to being sociopathic


it's ok matt z, i would do the same.. i'd probably even run over 10 chinese children anyw... never mind.


lol


Any way the wind blows...
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I only hope that if some day the concert is released they delete these annoying REVERB on freddie`s vocals... indeed too much reverb isn`t so necesary...


"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



MERQRY wrote: I only hope that if some day the concert is released they delete these annoying REVERB on freddie`s vocals... indeed too much reverb isn`t so necesary...


i actually thought the reverb they put on his voice during you take my breath away made it sound good.


It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



matt z wrote:


Holly2003 wrote: I'd drive over 10 chinese children to get an official release of this concert.


that's not funny. Going overboard. Please stick with ragging on the absurd... like kiddie pop bands... that was too close to being sociopathic

Well it made me giggle right out loud.  It's humour, not homicide.  Or you know whatever driving over 10 Chinese children would be.  Probably homicide.

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 11, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



jamster1111 wrote:


MERQRY wrote: I only hope that if some day the concert is released they delete these annoying REVERB on freddie`s vocals... indeed too much reverb isn`t so necesary...


i actually thought the reverb they put on his voice during you take my breath away made it sound good.
I mean the reverb on the youtube track that you shared here, the reverb on YTMBA is more... discreet? and as you said it sound good!


"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Oct 11, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



matt z wrote:


Holly2003 wrote: I'd drive over 10 chinese children to get an official release of this concert.


that's not funny. Going overboard. Please stick with ragging on the absurd... like kiddie pop bands... that was too close to being sociopathic ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct, that was too much. Let's make it five Chinese kids instead, or as a humane compromise, as many badgers as you like.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)