forum rss feed
Author

Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Oct 11, 17:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9mV4Iucrs&feature=related

For everyone who has said Queen could never have performed March of the Black Queen in it's entirety, please stick this in your ear.

mr mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
mr mercury
Deity: 4631 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 11, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your Fairy King wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9mV4Iucrs&feature=related

For everyone who has said Queen could never have performed March of the Black Queen in it's entirety, please stick this in your ear.

In the 80's maybe they could have since they used other people on piano when Fred was out front doing his bit. In the 70's I seriously doubt since they were effectively drums, bass and guitar with a singer a fair percentage of the time. And they only had 2 backing singers in Brian and Roger. The band you showed in that clip had potentially 6 vocalists - 1 lead singer with 5 backing, so effectively they could do the multiple harmonies better that 70's Queen could.

"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 11, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a pity the cameraman didn't get a clean line out from the mixing console, rather than using the ambient mic on the camera itself. I'm sure the house mix sounded good at the venue, but this audio does not do it justice. Since this is a song rarely covered, it deserves a clean feed when people got to the trouble to arrange it.

If anyone ever undertakes this live, make sure you record the audio straight from the board, you'll be doing everyone a favour!

Still, I appreciate the effort this band made on the night. Like I said, I'm sure it sounded good if we'd been there.

master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 11, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well they're just slugging it out but respect for a decent try.
BUT where are the backing vocals coming from? No one appears to be upto their mic's. A tape perhaps.?
     And Queen, as brilliant as they were, were never really ambitious on harmonies and backing vocals.They seemed to think it was'nt important in a live set and perhaps it was'nt.                                                                                                                                            I've seen tribute acts down the years who were much more particular, even doing the opera section with full harmonies.
        Bands like the Beach Boys and ELO went full out on faithfully reproducing the harmoies and backing vocals as on the studio recordings.

So there you are i'm afraid

Master Marathon Runner
jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 11, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Your Fairy King wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw9mV4Iucrs&feature=related

So what? This band has like 6-7 people in it and they didn't even perform it that well. Indeed maybe with a lot of practice Queen could have pulled it off live but it would have never lasted in the set. Especially at that time of the Queen II tour when they tried to play more mainstream styles that people were familiar with.. like the whole rock and roll medley thing. Also, I don't think they really thought it was worth putting in the effort as they cared more about the show itself and not how complicated the harmonies were. They saved that for their studio work.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
mat_171 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 12 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 11, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dios Salve a La Reina - some English bad pronunciation, mistakes in lyrics and interpretation, but only 4 people. Cheers from Argentina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqd9NiElGZU

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 11, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Before I actually watch it.. was it performed by just 4 people? One who did  not sing?

Over the Field user not visiting Queenzone.com
Over the Field
Bohemian: 170 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 11, 04:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Tough song to cover. I really appreciate their effort but the result is average.