Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Academic studies on Freddie Mercury's lyrics

forum rss feed
Author

TripletKick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Greetings fellow Queen fans,

I'm currently studying comparative literature and medical sciences in Dublin, Ireland. One essay that I am considering writing is about the lyrics of Freddie Mercury. I am particularly interested in the development of his themes from the early fantastical Pan-nymphet references and stylings, to the later more hedonistic and overtly-gay referenced themes of his lyrics. Basically, the essay would look at how Mercury's own personal journey of self-development and identity as a gay man is reflected in his lyrics, and how certain themes and references can be looked at in a larger context of sexual identity in art and literature.

Does anyone know of academic papers which have looked at this kind of thing? My searches haven't yet surfaced anything relevant. It's early days yet, but any constructive suggestions would be appreciated.

Keywords: Queer Theory, Sexuality Studies, the Artist's Life, Masculinity Theory.

And before anyone gets in there with something negative or cynical, I'll be the first to admit that Freddie dismissed his work as being made by a "musical prostitute". But that doesn't exclude it from serious analysis.

Looking forward to hearing your considered responses.

Cheers,
TripletKick

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But Freddie wasn't gay.  It was just an act for the show.

CosmosTales user not visiting Queenzone.com
CosmosTales
Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reply:But Freddie wasn't gay.  It was just an act for the show.

Exactly,he was the greatest pretender:)

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was previously a brief discussion here about an academic analysis of Bohemian Rhapsody that was from a larger work called 'Queering the Popular Pitch', which a quick search tells me can be found on Amazon if not through some other source at your school.  The discussion thread is here:  

http://www.queenzone.com/forums/1267403/bo-rap-queer-analysis-by-shela-whiteley.aspx?page=1

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like you'll have to copy and paste the above link.  It's failing as posted and apparently we can't edit.  Again.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 12:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why so much emphasis on his sexuality all the time??

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2804 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: Why so much emphasis on his sexuality all the time??

Because many instructors are "exullaysay epressedray" themselves... and it gets their jollies going.

Others for sensationalism, .... Others so they can steal your concepts and expound on em.

I'll give my two cents.... but please credit this submission to Matt Zarella (as in CHEESE)

The Fairy Feller's Masterstroke:

just a stretch from the original joke. Along the lines of Fairies Wear Boots from Black Sabbath.

Social outcasts (often times in different generations) mingled together... hence the references to queers and midgets.
(that's the sabbath reference backing this up)

"the fairy folk have gathered round the new moonshine,

to see the the feller crack a nut

At night's noon time

To swing his axe he swears

As he climbs he dares

To deliver the master stroke

Ploughman wagoner will' and types (all sorts of workers)[/i]

[i] Politician with senatorial pipe
(even the rich political slob)[/i]

[i] He's a dilly dally oh

Pedagogue squinting wears a frown (squinting eyes.... "corn holing?")[/i]

[i] And a satyr peers under lady's gown

He's a dirty fellow

What a dirty laddie-oh"

etc..

The queer folk have gathered round someone's "bottom" to see another "bust a nut"

i don't have to go any further do i?... Master Strokes? Just wouldn't want to...

I'll piss people off.

Just look for em, OR consider that they're ALL literal... and the subject of the painting AND the song was purely humorously relative....and not intentional.

I'm just saying... it sounds like a very hedonistic place....for sure it goes back to Greece and Rome... super gay.

i'm not knocking or queer bashing... that's just what the song seems to be.

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly - Mooghead.   Play to the salacious everytime and exploit.

You have struck a nerveTK and I, for one, don't agree with what you will be attempting.  

Also, what kind of an academic can't find what GFF just handed you above?  It's been discussed and picked apart many times here on QZ (that particularly persons study) as well as others.   It's not very original these days to go after BoRap (as has been done over and over and over again) trying to find the "coming out" song and gay lyrics (whatever that means).  If you are a fan of Queen - why do this?   Queen are 3 additional people - not just Freddie.  So be sure to write about the counterbalance of being in a band with 3 straight people - because I don't think they've been informed that their musical arrangements have a particular sexuality - although you will soon enough read about the Sheila's "ground breaking" theory of phallic drums (still love that one!).    

You have tried yourself to dismiss what you're doing by using Freddie's words.    Who's the prostitute now?

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth

Posted: 01 Nov 11, 19:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks all for your comments, particularly GratefulFan's link.

To clarify, this is merely a preliminary query. Nothing is planned and the idea may be impractical or even irrelevant.

Remember, I am a mere postgrad drone with no original thought. This is also my first thread. I may not be familiar with your social customs in this thing you call "QueenZone". I did not know it is custom to mostly disparage any thread which may possibly tweak the hairs on your Outraged buttons. I see Piggyback Assassination and open ridicule is on the language menu in this Zone.

Forgive me brothers! Sisters! Screaming Queens! I am merely sniffing around the damp crevices of desperate academic topics, willing to write Yet Another Paper Without Any Connection To Reality Or Anything Of Interest To Anyone Really. I am probably a mad fool and you should take no notice of me. I am a mere worm etc etc bow grovel don't shoot please I'm just the piano techie...

It's clear to me now that my clearly outrageous and undoubtedly insane speculative paper on Mercury would eventually become the finest toilet roll Known To Man. Or maybe not even reach that hallowed status, as recognised by the Institute of Inspired Bolloxology here in Dublin City Wanky Academic Cunts. It may even inspire someone to cry: "Sheeeee-it maaaan! I ain't even wiping my ass with that no-good bullshit wanky lah-di-fucking-dah comparative literature piece of trash about Freddie!"

I stand chastened and humble in the vast encompassing wisdom and swift judgement that is QueenZone, and bid your compassion - for I know kindness doth exist in all your hearts - to allow me safe passage to exit these vengeful lands. Mercy! I beg! MERCY!

Adieu!

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenUSA wrote: Exactly - Mooghead.   Play to the salacious everytime and exploit.

You have struck a nerveTK and I, for one, don't agree with what you will be attempting.  

Also, what kind of an academic can't find what GFF just handed you above?  It's been discussed and picked apart many times here on QZ (that particularly persons study) as well as others.   It's not very original these days to go after BoRap (as has been done over and over and over again) trying to find the "coming out" song and gay lyrics (whatever that means).  If you are a fan of Queen - why do this?   Queen are 3 additional people - not just Freddie.  So be sure to write about the counterbalance of being in a band with 3 straight people - because I don't think they've been informed that their musical arrangements have a particular sexuality - although you will soon enough read about the Sheila's "ground breaking" theory of phallic drums (still love that one!).    

You have tried yourself to dismiss what you're doing by using Freddie's words.    Who's the prostitute now?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your arguments might carry more authority if you could string even one sentence together that made any sense. Have you considered the possibility that your bizarre opposition to any interpretation of Queen lyrics/music that goes beyond the purely literal might derive from you being a bit thick?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Gregoryvincke user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 111 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi,

I'm a Belgian student in literature and linguistics from Geneva University. Your thesis  seems to be a very interesting topic.
This is my email-address : gregoryvincke@gmail.com. Contact me, I might be able to send you some interesting thoughts or info on the matter.

Cheers

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this "paper" is just a cover story.

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Gregory - thanks I'll PM you.

@Microwave - I see you're familiar with our work at the Insititute of Inspired Bolloxology's sub-department of Scientific Trolling And Non-finite Teratology (STINK). As it suggests, it tends to leave an awful stench. Luckily it can be defused by a quick sense of humour, and the cognition that one's beliefs or thoughts have no direct bearing on reality, nor anyone else, whether typed, spoken or farted. :)

CosmosTales user not visiting Queenzone.com
CosmosTales
Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reply....to the later more hedonistic and overtly-gay referenced themes of his lyrics. Basically, the essay would look at how Mercury's own personal journey of self-development and identity as a gay man is reflected in his lyrics, and how certain themes and references can be looked at in a larger context of sexual identity in art and literature.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Well i´m just curious...Could you give us examples of what  you mean in the following sentences:

-Mercury's own personal journey of self-development and identity as a gay man is reflected in his lyrics??
-how certain themes and references can be looked at in a larger context of sexual identity in art and literature??

Enlighten us please

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2804 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 19:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CosmosTales wrote: Reply....to the later more hedonistic and overtly-gay referenced themes of his lyrics. Basically, the essay would look at how Mercury's own personal journey of self-development and identity as a gay man is reflected in his lyrics, and how certain themes and references can be looked at in a larger context of sexual identity in art and literature.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Well i´m just curious...Could you give us examples of what  you mean in the following sentences:

-Mercury's own personal journey of self-development and identity as a gay man is reflected in his lyrics??
-how certain themes and references can be looked at in a larger context of sexual identity in art and literature??

Enlighten us please

I dunno bout the first part... maybe it's how long it took a guy to get a boner?

But part two sounds like this:
Basically its probably an ART class... where they're asking students to select an artist and his/her identity and relate that to ideologies (compare/contrast) and eras... And use terms and references relative to symbology inherent in classic art.

Ex) Phoenix --- rising from death etc.

and "sexual identity in art and literature?" dunno if there's much to be said... He donned the NY Gay bar stache... that's more like fashion though.

Sounds like someone wants us to do his homework ;)

DO UR OWN WORK!

No offense to anyone here... Nature vs Nurture argument...but a starting point may have been the ALL BOYS school...

was it not?.... i forget.

anyways... where's a troll when u need one?... I haven't got my trolling license yet.

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
...... as it began
queenUSA

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 21:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:

queenUSA wrote: Exactly - Mooghead.   Play to the salacious everytime and exploit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your arguments might carry more authority if you could string even one sentence together that made any sense. Have you considered the possibility that your bizarre opposition to any interpretation of Queen lyrics/music that goes beyond the purely literal might derive from you being a bit thick?

First off - take ego out of it completely.  I'm  not trying to be an '"authority" - and never claimed to.   The topic starter is the professor - not I. 

And if you think I'm being a bit thick - let me clear it up for you .... BUG OFF Holly!

It's my opinion and I'm free to express it.

...... as it began
queenUSA

Posted: 02 Nov 11, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ ^ Hey, wait a minute .... it's all coming back to me now.  

Perhaps this touched a nerve with you Holly because you're the one who originally posted Sheila Whiteley's steaming pile of s___ earlier this year - the infamous "BoRap Queer Analysis" Paper.   What a load of crap that piece was.   As I said - beware the false professor.

Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 03 Nov 11, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenUSA wrote: ^ ^ Hey, wait a minute .... it's all coming back to me now.  

Perhaps this touched a nerve with you Holly because you're the one who originally posted Sheila Whiteley's steaming pile of s___ earlier this year - the infamous "BoRap Queer Analysis" Paper.   What a load of crap that piece was.   As I said - beware the false professor.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You seem to have a huge emotional investment in Bo Rap not being about Fred's sexuality. I wonder why that is ...

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003

Posted: 03 Nov 11, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenUSA wrote:
Holly2003 wrote:

First off - take ego out of it completely.  I'm  not trying to be an '"authority" - and never claimed to.   The topic starter is the professor - not I. 

And if you think I'm being a bit thick - let me clear it up for you .... BUG OFF Holly!

It's my opinion and I'm free to express it. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have offered an opinion -- any dimwit can do that -- but you haven't engaged with what's been said, either by myself or anyone else or the author of the article I posted in that other thread. Why then do you have such an emotional attachment to Queen lyrics meaning nothing beyond the purely literal? Is that so beyond teh realms of possibilty? Clearly not.

...... as it began
queenUSA

Posted: 03 Nov 11, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You put up that academic rag of a paper back in April and seem to have NO capacity for critical thinking yourself.  See it for what it is. 

Why have you no investment in BO RAP?  It's only one of their greatest tunes.  If you think these studies do no damage - then you are naive. 

On itunes and elsewhere on the net the biography of Queen that is put out for the public now states that
We Are The Champions is a Gay anthem.  Really?  How did that happen?  Likely from some other rag writer!  There's so many.

But why should you care about any damage on your car's windshield?  Isn't that the funny things you like to write about?  That action sums you up.  So pardon me - If I swerve past your messy crime scene.