Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > 2011 Queen Remasters £4.95 each!!!!

forum rss feed
Author

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Nov 11, 20:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

2011 Queen remasters £4.95 each at zavvi.com



Single disc editions only though. Deluxe editions still overpriced :((



http://www.zavvi.com/cd/elysium.search?searchFilters=Q0QjZGVwYXJ0bWVudDpjZCE%3D&search=queen

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1580 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why the CD shops in Singapore are still unable to get the 2011 remasters for A Kind Of Magic and The Works (double CD edition) from their suppliers.  They got the last batch of the new releases except these two.  I have placed an order with HMV Singapore for these 2 albums for more than a month and am still waiting for the CDs to arrive.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



tcc wrote: I don't know why the CD shops in Singapore are still unable to get the 2011 remasters for A Kind Of Magic and The Works (double CD edition) from their suppliers.  They got the last batch of the new releases except these two.  I have placed an order with HMV Singapore for these 2 albums for more than a month and am still waiting for the CDs to arrive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe it's time to try someone else, even if it means paying that bit extra for international postage?
You need to get them soon because it was said last year that Universal records would stop manufacturing the deluxe editions on 31st December 2011, which means that the only copies left would be the ones in the shops.
If HMV Singapore still haven't got stocks in by then, they'll be unlikely to do so after that.

This is, of course, assuming the editions HMV Singapore get are legit.
Having been bitten once before, I'm always dubious about CDs & DVDs from China, Singapore & Hong Kong these days.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1580 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 04:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, will take your advice.

So far all the Queen remasters that I have bought from HMV Singapore were all legitimately imported from the UK.

bryony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



brians wig wrote: 2011 Queen remasters £4.95 each at zavvi.com




Single disc editions only though. Deluxe editions still overpriced :((



http://www.zavvi.com/cd/elysium.search?searchFilters=Q0QjZGVwYXJ0bWVudDpjZCE%3D&search=queen

and the reason they are so cheap is nobody is buying the single disc versions - why would they ??!

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 07:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



bryony wrote:


brians wig wrote: 2011 Queen remasters £4.95 each at zavvi.com




Single disc editions only though. Deluxe editions still overpriced :((



http://www.zavvi.com/cd/elysium.search?searchFilters=Q0QjZGVwYXJ0bWVudDpjZCE%3D&search=queen

and the reason they are so cheap is nobody is buying the single disc versions - why would they ??!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bryony.
I ALWAYS read your name as Byrony which, in this instance, is quite appropriate as you are being ironic , yes?! ;-)
LOL

Yep, I too reckon they are cheap because no one is buying them!

Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



brians wig wrote:


and the reason they are so cheap is nobody is buying the single disc versions - why would they ??!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
I would - but the single editions were not made available in the US. There is nothing on the bonus discs worth buying or that I don't already have.

*goodco* user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1128 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Nov 11, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, we might pay a dollar or two for the bonus disc of each release......might. 

We've shelled out enough over the years for LPs, CDs, Hwood CD remixes with eff ups, singles, solo stuff, collaborations,  imports, bootlegs, blah blah blah.  So far, not a penny spent since 'Cosmos Rocks'. 

Some day, one day, it would be nice if QP put out something to change our minds.  Until then, .............


"Discretionary posting is the better part of valor." Falstaff
the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They sound like poop. They are harsh and loud. Keep your old ones, people. I know some people get on here and disagree, but those people are likely to have below avg sound systems where "loud" remasters such as these appear to sound better.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



the dude 1366 wrote: They sound like poop. They are harsh and loud. Keep your old ones, people. I know some people get on here and disagree, but those people are likely to have below avg sound systems where "loud" remasters such as these appear to sound better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Yeah, you're right.
Serves me right for having my arcam CD player connected to a cheap £600 amp with £300 front speakers.
Despite the loudness, these are far superior than the HR 91 remasters and the Japanese 2000(ish) remasters and definately way better than both the orignal EMI and 1994 EMI remasters, and if YOU can't hear that, then maybe you should think about upgrading YOUR system.

As for comparing them to the original Vinyls, that's a different matter.
I recently listened to a set of barely played 1980's vinyls (a mixture of original releases and re-pressings of the 70's albums) and they sound incredible (way better than any previous CD release including the Crown Jewels releases), and these 2011 remastered CDs are the nearest we are ever going to get to that sound on a digital format, but with the advantage of better clarity and no crackles.

Oh, and I just have to add that Queen II sounds BETTER than the vinyl. You can hear more, it's better defined, less muddy and the stereo seperation is like never before.

TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



brians wig wrote:


the dude 1366 wrote: They sound like poop. They are harsh and loud. Keep your old ones, people. I know some people get on here and disagree, but those people are likely to have below avg sound systems where "loud" remasters such as these appear to sound better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


....Despite the loudness.....

There in lies the problem.

The significant loss of dynamics makes them hard to listen to for mine. Each batch seemed to get progressively worse.

A real shame.

stark user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 376 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Nov 11, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TyphoonTip wrote:





The significant loss of dynamics makes them hard to listen to for mine. Each batch seemed to get progressively worse.
A real shame.




Seconded.  A reduced dynamic range just doesn't sound natural (or pleasing) to the human ear.  It's biology, folks!  And it doesn't matter how good your playback system is, the listening is as important, maybe more so, as the hearing.

joesilvey user not visiting Queenzone.com
joesilvey
Bohemian: 238 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 11, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just because something has a broad dynamic range doesn't mean it's automatically superior to a modern, more compressed remaster.  Compression / volume limiting isn't always to shelf off songs so they lose every nuance of character... sometimes it's to compensate for an imperfect master mix.  EQing isn't always purging the original work of art of its integrity... sometimes it repairs some anomalies that were overlooked or unavoidable within the original recording.

no one can tell me that These Are The Days Of Our Lives sounds better on the HR 91 cd than on the reissue.  why are the drums suddenly so present and alive?  compression - it's not an evil thing!

YES, many many remasters and reissues have gotten it wrong over the years... but don't be pre-programmed to dismiss the whole process because of that fact.  It turns out these reissues are indeed better... some more than others... but they are (subjectively, to my ears, at least.  and i do sound mixing and production personally and professionally) and i'm as surprised as anyone...


Joseph A. Silvey
TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 11, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



joesilvey wrote: just because something has a broad dynamic range doesn't mean it's automatically superior to a modern, more compressed remaster.  Compression / volume limiting isn't always to shelf off songs so they lose every nuance of character... sometimes it's to compensate for an imperfect master mix.  EQing isn't always purging the original work of art of its integrity... sometimes it repairs some anomalies that were overlooked or unavoidable within the original recording.
________________________
Agree with all of that. It doesn't ALWAYS make it worse, but often it does. And in my humble opinion, it has in the case of these remasters.

YES, many many remasters and reissues have gotten it wrong over the years... but don't be pre-programmed to dismiss the whole process because of that fact.
________________________
Why have you assumed that I have? Is it not possible that someone might have an informed opinion that is different to yours?

 It turns out these reissues are indeed better... some more than others... but they are (subjectively, to my ears, at least.  and i do sound mixing and production personally and professionally) and i'm as surprised as anyone...
______________

I'm afraid your background in 'mixing and production' doesn't make a shit of a difference, because as you rightly pointed out it is completely subjective. As it happens I also have a substantial background in production, and I happen to completely disagree with you. On other audiophile forums you'll similarly find geek audiophiles also in complete disagreement as to the merits of these remasters when compared to the 1st presses.

What I don't understand is why some people, not necessarily you, get so affronted by any suggestion that their opinion might not be a universal truth.


brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 11, 06:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TyphoonTip wrote:

On other audiophile forums you'll similarly find geek audiophiles also in complete disagreement as to the merits of these remasters when compared to the 1st presses.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be interested in links to these forums please, so I can join and read the comments myself.
Thanks.

TyphoonTip user not visiting Queenzone.com
TyphoonTip
Bohemian: 133 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 11, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



brians wig wrote: TyphoonTip wrote:

On other audiophile forums you'll similarly find geek audiophiles also in complete disagreement as to the merits of these remasters when compared to the 1st presses.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be interested in links to these forums please, so I can join and read the comments myself.
Thanks.
_________

There are plenty to choose from, but this one I frequent the most. But be warned, there are some pretty intense individuals on this site! ...However once you sift through the wankery, you can learn a lot. Geeks are a great resource in small doses. I've been introduced to some great music thanks to some brilliant posters.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/

Toozeup user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Nov 11, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 1994 EMI remasters are still definitive.  A lot of work was put into these and brian and roger were heavily involved as well.  They sound much more dynamic than the new remasters.  The new ones may sound a bit brighter but they have lost a whole lot of involvement.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 11, 09:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



Toozeup wrote: The 1994 EMI remasters are still definitive.  A lot of work was put into these and brian and roger were heavily involved as well.  They sound much more dynamic than the new remasters.  The new ones may sound a bit brighter but they have lost a whole lot of involvement.

Well that's interesting because I've so far never heard a good word about them!

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Nov 11, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TyphoonTip wrote:

There are plenty to choose from, but this one I frequent the most. But be warned, there are some pretty intense individuals on this site! ...However once you sift through the wankery, you can learn a lot. Geeks are a great resource in small doses. I've been introduced to some great music thanks to some brilliant posters.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/


Ah!
Steve Hoffman.
The man I WISH had done the Queen remasters last year....