Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen at the EMAs

forum rss feed
Author

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1058 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The appearance was just on. Shortened versions of The Show Must Go On, We Will Rock You and Champions.

The singer was a man dressed in black who I didn't recognise and wasn't introduced.

It was ok I guess. The show didn't feel 'live' and the sound and picture seemed fuzzy throughout.

Cheers.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Scofflaw user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The singer was Adam Lambert.  Right now his fans are going ape shit all over the internet about how he's the new Freddie.

Personally, I think his version of TSMGO was atrocious. Too much screaming, too much vibrato, no real emotion. It was terrible, and I am disappointed the band let him butcher the song.

cmsdrums user is on Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3038 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed - roger and Brian were good, Adam Lambert not so. I really wish Brian wouldn't get so swept up with thinking anyone who says they like Queen will always then be worth playing with. There are certainly better, and more suitable, vocalists out there. Paul Rodgers may have been a bit hit and miss, but at least he was 'credible'.

I think it was Spike on keys, but does anyone know who was on bass? (surprised not to see Jamie Moses).

Bad Seed user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bad Seed
Bohemian: 520 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 17:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Watched it a few times now and I must say that Adam Lambert is an INCREDIBLE singer! Whether you like his 'performance' or not, his singing ability cannot be denied. Anyone who say's that guy cant sing either doesn't have a clue about singing or is an arsehole.

Loved Brian's sound too, sounded like he was using a Boss CE-1 (though probably wasn't) like Montreal '81.

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not that he can't sing, he over sings everything. If I had never heard TSMGO before, I might have thought it was a good performance, albeit too showy and over the top, but having heard Freddie's version, it sucked, because I only have that to compare it to, and it falls so flat in comparison, it doesn't even register as "good" to me.

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's version IS over the top. I don't see the problem. Loved it.

Killed by drones.
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lambert clearly has the pipes--I don't think anybody will disagree with that, but I will say that just because you have a killer set of pipes--doesn't mean you can deliver killer versions of songs.

The WATC was good (much better than the Idol version), and the WWRY was fine--but TSMGO didn't sound as good as the other performances. I didn't like the over-vibrato and "scooping" on notes during that performance.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
argQ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brain and Roger were ok. About that TV guy, I heard him singing and screaming but he didn´t put any emotion into the songs. Queen deserves singers like Paul Rodgers or even Tom Chaplin.

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cmsdrums wrote: Agreed - roger and Brian were good, Adam Lambert not so. I really wish Brian wouldn't get so swept up with thinking anyone who says they like Queen will always then be worth playing with. There are certainly better, and more suitable, vocalists out there. Paul Rodgers may have been a bit hit and miss, but at least he was 'credible'.

I think it was Spike on keys, but does anyone know who was on bass? (surprised not to see Jamie Moses).

============================================================================================

The Bassist was Neil Fairclough, who was the Bassist on Brian & Kerry's recent tour.

Joyful the sound

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fairyking, Freddie's version IS over the top, but it works because it makes you feel something, at least it makes me feel something. TSMGO conveys a lot of emotion and raw feeling, but I don't think Lambert showed any of that, and his version didn't make me feel anything. I'm not denying that he can sing, just that he did a shit job of covering TSMGO. Being able to hit the notes is only a part of delivering a performance.

notimeforlosers user not visiting Queenzone.com
notimeforlosers
Bohemian: 176 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the whole performance was atrocious. I was embarassed watching it.

Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scofflaw wrote: Fairyking, Freddie's version IS over the top, but it works because it makes you feel something, at least it makes me feel something. TSMGO conveys a lot of emotion and raw feeling, but I don't think Lambert showed any of that, and his version didn't make me feel anything. I'm not denying that he can sing, just that he did a shit job of covering TSMGO. Being able to hit the notes is only a part of delivering a performance.

============

And staying on pitch is another part of delivering a performance (which Lambert failed to do in some spots). Freddie wasn't perfect live (by any means), but his sense of pitch was quite excellent. Lambert's live pitch isn't his greatest strength.

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Marcos Napier user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 622 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Voice of Reason 2010 wrote: The singer was a man

Not really.

Your Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
Your Fairy King
Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lambert needs to show some restraint when singing Queen material. Brian did some interesting things with TSMGO solo, but the solo at the end of WWRY just didn't sound good to my ears. That bit requires a much cleaner tone.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bad Seed wrote: Watched it a few times now and I must say that Adam Lambert is an INCREDIBLE singer! Whether you like his 'performance' or not, his singing ability cannot be denied. Anyone who say's that guy cant sing either doesn't have a clue about singing or is an arsehole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny that because I feel that anyone who DOES like his singing is an arsehole and should get THEIR hearing checked!
To be fair, I've only heard him perform Queen songs and he's f*****g awful.
What he's like with other stuff I have, being English and not American, no idea, but with what I've heard I don't want to hear anymore.

Bo Alex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bo Alex
Bohemian: 494 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scofflaw wrote: Fairyking, Freddie's version IS over the top, but it works because it makes you feel something, at least it makes me feel something. TSMGO conveys a lot of emotion and raw feeling, but I don't think Lambert showed any of that, and his version didn't make me feel anything. I'm not denying that he can sing, just that he did a shit job of covering TSMGO. Being able to hit the notes is only a part of delivering a performance.

I totally agree with you.

A man who learnt how to teach, but forgot how to learn.

A la grande le puse cuca!!

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Marcos Napier wrote:

Voice of Reason 2010 wrote: The singer was a man

Not really.

There was plenty to laugh/complain/criticize about that performance without questioning his gender.

Hitman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2217 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EEEeaeAEaeEAeaeaeEAEaeAEeaea.........."move over there's an ambulance approaching!!!"
...ah no it's just adam singing!

he oversings ideed, too much vibrato, but overall performance...ok!

Anything too stupid to be said... is sung.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's like they sat him in a walk-in freezer before the show.  'orrible.  Bring back Tom Chaplin.  Oh hell, I'd rather see them play to old Freddie DVDs than hear this cunting thing again.

I wouldn't mind so much but I reckon Lambert is better than this performance.  Disappointing.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts

Posted: 06 Nov 11, 20:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't really give a shit, it has nothing to do with music, let alone Queen's music, it's all hype and sales and embarrassing.  As Brian said about Queen joining Universal, "They have new angles and they said in the beginning, 'Our job is not to sell you to the people who already love you. Our job is to get you to the people who don't get you already.'"  So, Adam Lambert, obscure Japanese trance bands, Susan Boyle are all in play to help B & R sell a few more albums.  Cost of dignity loss is uncertain against new fan sales.