Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Who's entering the "Don't Stop Me Now" contest?

forum rss feed
Author

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 02:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just curious.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3613 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would but I know for a fact the end result would be nothing like what is in my head. Plus the only sound editing software I have is Audacity which isnt really very good

PiotreQ user not visiting Queenzone.com
On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ
Bohemian: 888 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am :-)

Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am too.
But it's a difficult song to remix.

"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

Kacio user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kacio
Bohemian: 747 posts

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1783 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was going to, but don't think I'll bother now that 2 of the masters "Daniel Vz"  & "PiotreQ" are entering. Look forward to your mixes + "Lord Fickle" might come out of mixing retirement and do a mix :-)

already had a tinker (work in progress, but not entering)

Don't Stop me Now (word mix -work in progress)

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ijeh8dgsa1l4p5 

thoughts would be welcome.

Joyful the sound
rhyeking

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To answer my own question, I am as well.

Or at least I'm trying remix it and as pointed out above, it's not an easy song to work with. There aren't that many layers to play with and what is there is fairly minimalist. It works for the finished regular mix, because it's so tightly wound, but taking it apart and putting back together to try to get something different is a challenge.

And yes, I'm working with audacity at the moment, which is like trying to paint with a bowling pin when it comes to delicate editing. I'm plowing through and will share my results here for criticism.

On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am not surprised they give us DSMN and not some other song to remix - it's quite difficult to create something really special. However I am almost done but will hold on for a while as still some ideas are arriving daily lol

rhyeking

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm fine-tuning a mix I did yesterday and may even do another. I have a few ideas. I don't think there was a limit to how many mixes one can submit, was there?

I can also see why they said we could only use these original tracks for the mix, since it prevents a thousand generic dance/techno mixes with the lead and backing vocals just laid over them. As well, there are no copyright issues with sampling, say, an orchestrated version of the song.

On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's impossible to submit more than one remix as when you click the submit button there is no option to do it again. The only way is to set up another account on Talenthouse ;-)

Regarding other sources used for a mix, your own self-produced samples should be OK. Of course adding another song to DSMN mix is forbidden I think (in that case it would be mash-up) but I already added a small portion of another version of DSMN to my mix lol

rhyeking

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I meant was: QPL will not have to deal with copyright issues if they keep it strictly about using the multitracks provided, therefore *no sampling either*.

As to adding music we ourselves create, that may be less-sticky, but QPL may still not want to bother with them. I interpreted the rules as *just these multitracks" and am mixing accordingly. If we're allowed to use our own performances of original material, that's just more creativity available for people.

One per account, huh? I better make mine good, then.

:-)

On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: I interpreted the rules as *just these multitracks" and am mixing accordingly.

My interpretation is a bit different: must create a remix which contains supplied stems ;-)

TomP63 user not visiting Queenzone.com
TomP63
Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also will enter with a possible "new" mix of DSMN.  I have made some various mixes, and I am not that keen on the result, so there much more work to do. My fellow mixes on this site, I wish you all the best.........Let's hope that the winner may come from the zone..................

Ciao, Tom

Have to have some fun......................Brian May

rhyeking

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PiotreQ wrote:

rhyeking wrote: I interpreted the rules as *just these multitracks" and am mixing accordingly.

My interpretation is a bit different: must create a remix which contains supplied stems ;-)

+++++++++++++++++

You could be entirely correct. I honestly don't know if we're allowed to exceed the tracks provided. They probably ought to have made that clear one way or the other. Either way, I wouldn't use other stuff even if we were allowed, because most of the alternate mixes I enjoy from Queen are those that work with what was recorded for the song, rather than adding previously-unrelated material.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone. I'm eager to hear what ideas we all come up with!

On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, good luck to all of you! :-)

queenrocks23 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 13 Nov 11, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

great!

Samuel Pérez

A Queen Of Magic

http://www.aqueenofmagic.com
Vali user not visiting Queenzone.com
Vali
Deity: 2044 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 11, 04:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´m half way through my own remix as well; I know there´s much more talented people out there and my baby will look like a child´s play, but my Cubase skills are improving veeery slowly day after day and, yeah, I´m quite satisfied with the results so far. Can´t wait listening to so many new remixes done by REAL fans !! :)

Bring out the charge of the love brigade
Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 14 Nov 11, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Aye, I'm doing one as well, it's nothing special, but it's actually quite fun to do(albeit extremely irritating at moments :P)

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
rhyeking

Posted: 14 Nov 11, 11:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Djdownsy wrote: Aye, I'm doing one as well, it's nothing special, but it's actually quite fun to do(albeit extremely irritating at moments :P)

+++++++++++++

Regarding irritation: I hear you!

I love the challenge, even though using only the stems provided it's a narrow playing field that we've been given. No complaints, just constant the adjusting of ideas in order fit that range.

Still, some of the best results can come from limited resources.

I spent two hours trying to come up with an solution to a segment of the mix that needed filling. After I finally worked it out, by trial and error, I'm quite pleased with the result, even though it wasn't my original, ideal idea.

nplmdthfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 16 Nov 11, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I am entering.  Absolutely.

I downloaded the stems last week, and WOW!!  I don't care aboot any mistakes in the performances, just hearing the isolated tracks is quite a treat.  The first thing I listened to was Freddie's lead vocal on my laptop with the internal (crap) speakers and I got all tingle-y.  Once I popped them into a proper ProTools session down at my studio that feeling was intensified.  As a 15-year-old kid back when Jazz was released I could never have imagined such an opportunity to hear something like this.  At that point I had only begun to learn the guitar, and I was still a few years away from my first 4-track.

I agree with those above that, if all we can use is the stems, there's not a lot of ways to go.  Just sprucing it up is probably not what's gonna win the contest.  Let's get creative folks...

Best of luck to all!!

Cheers...