Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Slane 1986 (Crazy Crowd)

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Nov 11, 18:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

We all know about the crowd at this show--they were very rowdy, intoxicated, and Freddie even had to address the crowd at times about the craziness. However, one of my subscribers "Carbon657" posted a very interesting comment on my Youtube upload (Bohemian Rhapsody). Here's what he said:

"I read somewhere that two drunk fans tried to get to the backstage area by swimming across the large river behind the stage, both drowned and Queen heard the news of their deaths moments before going on stage and were pretty shaken and very saddened by it. Then later when Freddie saw other drunk fans fighting in the audience (being already emotional because the drownings) he snapped and threatened to end the show early. Exactly how true that is I dont know but I remember? reading it."

This seems like a believable scenario (plus fans were actually sneaking into the show using the river).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 11, 23:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody drowned at Slane in 1986. Two fans did drown at the REM concert in 1995.

As for the crowd, read the attached .pdf

Attachment: 11532398943110.pdf 911 KB
This has been downloaded 106 time(s).

Arse.

Marknow user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hello
Marknow
Deity: 2878 posts

Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 11, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody drowned at the Queen Slane gig.

Someone did climb onto the catwalk I remember.

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Djdownsy user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mama Please
Djdownsy
Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 24 Nov 11, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's funny, people having been sneaking in through that river for years and years and it's only in the last few years they've started putting patrols out on the river to prevent people getting in that way. :S
Speaking of which, there's hardl any decent to half decent audio or footage of Slane circulating, is there? I always assumed there wasn't, but there was an articale on RTÉ News this evening and there was some (very brief) footage of Slane. Looked like good quality too.

Tá suil agam go bhuil tú go maith!

Arsebiscuits!!!!!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 11, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Djdownsy wrote:

Speaking of which, there's hardl any decent to half decent audio or footage of Slane circulating, is there?

================

There's a quite decent audience tape available here, and the bit of One Vision footage from TV is excellent.  But "decent" is a subjective term, of course !

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Senna user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 25 Nov 11, 09:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was there wasn't that bad really serious overcrowding 15000 gate crashers. Was nearly killed in the crush getting out, stewards abandoned the place. Was there 2 years ago at Oasis, nothing much had changed.