Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen Drummer Roger Taylor Says There Will Be No New Album

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 11, 22:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen drummer Roger Taylor has officially debunked recent reports regarding plans for a new album from the band that would feature Freddie Mercury’s vocals taken from demo recordings.

In an exclusive conversation with Ultimate Classic Rock, Taylor said that while there are no plans for such an album, they are indeed working to prepare songs that Mercury recorded with Michael Jackson for future release.

“I’ve got to tell you, there won’t be an album. There’s just not enough and the last thing I want to do is have a sort of barrel-scraping exercise. But there’s a couple of great tracks that Freddie recorded with Michael Jackson that Brian and I are working on and they are good. So at some point they will surface I think when we feel it’s a good moment. I don’t really want to ride any sort of wave there. So that’s an interesting thing, but that will be probably later some point next year.”

Taylor will be in Los Angeles on Monday to judge the final round of auditions for the ‘Queen Extravaganza,’ a North American talent search that he created to build the group of musicians and singers who will help to celebrate the music and legacy of Queen. This new group will serve as the officially-sanctioned band for the 2012 Queen Extravaganza Live tour. Stay tuned for the rest of our conversation with Roger, which will be online soon!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-no-new-album/

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 441 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 01:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FUCK THEM ALL !!! LONG LIVE MERCURY

ITSM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1019 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bad news - I'm really disappointed!

Chuck Norris never sleeps, he waits...
dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1542 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 03:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After scraping the barrel, they can no longer scrape the barrel.
Good on him for realising that.

So.... anthology then?

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't stand Michael Jackson so this news really does very little to excite me.They should concentrate on a bloody good  anthology and clean up their solo albums and release them with extra tracks ,remixes.Interresting to see the latest Deep Cuts CD selling for £3.99 on Amazon.I new i should have waited !!

Queen1973 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen1973
Bohemian: 590 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just knew it....Queen forever, its been like that for years with Queen releases Coming Soon Etc.   Ok let us make up the album with the best demos out there. There not offical releases so lets start now.

New york new york is my choice for the Unoffical demos album.

ride the vision

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 05:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh well. I'm pissed now.

Any way the wind blows...
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2711 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 06:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did expect it.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 2946 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That does seem to go against what Roger said recently about reviewing old material, when he specifically cited Dog With A Bone, and stated that unreleased archive stuff like that seems to be presented to them more and more for checking out.

Perhaps that will be kept for the mythical archive set(s), or he is now trying to quell any anticipation or expectation of a new album but there is a loose idea to do one.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6245 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 07:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not spending a single cent on any Michael Jackson-crap, not even if it does feature Freddie Mercury prostituting himself.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's fair to say we've never been given the entire big picture regarding what's in the vault, what the states of those tracks are and what Brian and Roger's exact intention are/were regarding them. We have to remember that entertainment news is not really interested in the straight reporting of cold hard facts (especially when they don't have any or only have very few). What gets reported is what gets readers to buy that publication, so unrelated statements, such as "We're working on the FM + MJ tracks, finally" and "we're always being sent copies of unreleased stuff by the guys going through the vault" get morphed into headlines like "Queen are going through the vault to finish tracks, possibly for a new album." Sometimes it's deliberate, sometimes it's the reporter not understanding Queen, the situation or why one thing has nothing to do with the other. Entertainment news is not like CNN, where they plan to have full coverage of a story from start to finish, with detailed analyses and talking heads. All that matters is the story in front of them. Today, it's "Queen to record new album," tomorrow it's "Lady Ga Ga dresses weird again," next week its, "Singer in rehab." The only time you'll get larger-than-average coverage is if someone dies (the bigger they are, the more coverage) or of the Flavour Of The Month band/artist.

Anyway, I do hope this paves the way for an Anthology set, but with Roger focusing on the Extravaganza, your guess is as good as mine.

MAYniac91 user not visiting Queenzone.com
MAYniac91
Bohemian: 610 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never expect only a second a new album with unreleased songs!

Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Three thoughts:

1- I'm dissapointed that there's not a lot of unreleased new songs in the archives.

2- I'm happy they aren't going to scrape the barrel and put out crap.

3- Fk Michael Jackson, but I understand that these songs have to come out - it is music history having 2 prodigious (and now dead) talents record together.

4- I'm really glad that Roger and Brian are involved with the post-production instead of the Jackson family - who'd probably throw some Jermaine vocals in the mix.

5- I can't count

6- The "I can't count" joke never gets old.

Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 936 posts

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18460 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good.

There's not a chance they'd be able to top Made In Heaven.  The last Queen album is a very strong one, and there is no need to go out with a whimper.

Bring on the old concerts and boxed set.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2711 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 15:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote: Good.

There's not a chance they'd be able to top Made In Heaven.  The last Queen album is a very strong one, and there is no need to go out with a whimper.

Bring on the old concerts and boxed set.

I agree with you, Bob. They'd better at first release a few concerts from the 70's than such album like this.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
MercurialFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
old fashioned dandy
MercurialFreddie
Bohemian: 804 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He didn't say that there isn't many of the demos. He DID said that there is not enough for a new album. That's a difference.
And I suppose they were looking through the recent ones (demos recorded during 1982-1991)  as not to make a confusion with "whose is that voice ". I assure you, if they would rework the early demos (72'-80) people would ask "wow, who's that :D?"

As I said in another topic on the very same matter. It is said that they won't have a go at the "barrel-scraping exercise" as we won't get to hear what's there in the vaults without anniversary/anthology. What is more, if they reworked these domes with John and David Richards the result could be magnificent. If these demos would have been reworked wisely with Freddie on vocals the outcome and success and praise and that's all would be guaranteed. But nah, they give us the MJ + FM tracks so people would stop asking where is the new material ?
In my opinion they're tired and want to concentrate on some childish stuff like Queen Extravaganza (aka: who would sing in our tribute band?)

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:

There's not a chance they'd be able to top Made In Heaven. 

Zing!  Pow!  Whammo!

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3611 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 11, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

" the last thing I want to do is have a sort of barrel-scraping exercise. "

He says before flying out to judge some absolute bullshit Queen x factor shite.

The fucking moron.