Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May Admits Queen Can Never Be The Same

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Dec 11, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Legendary guitarist Brian May has admitted that he thinks that without Freddie Mercury and bassist John Deacon, any work that him and Roger Taylor put out under the Queen name will simply not be the same as the Queen everybody knew and loved.

There have been a lot of rumours and speculation flying around the web that Queen would be returning to the music scene too, with a host of different singers (including Lady Gaga and Adam Lambert) tipped to be the replacement for the iconic Freddie Mercury. But May has told the BBC that they aren’t really the same band without Mercury or Deacon, asking, ‘Are we Queen?’

“Are we Queen? In a sense we are but in another sense we never can be,” May said. “We keep getting asked to do things which is great but it's that being Queen thing, I think we'll have to make a film 'Being Queen', what does it mean? The good thing about it is, we are a sort of open book, we can interact with people when it comes up.”

Regardless of the statement, it’s likely that you’ll see Queen performing once again with a stand in singer and bassist. What do you think of Queen’s on-going career? Tell us in the comments section below.

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/169446/9

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20111212_brianmay.shtml

It seems a lot of their recent focus has been on the various 40th Anniversary stuff, like the re-issues, appearances and things like that, so nothing's really on the books for immediate future yet, except the DSMN remix contest and the Queen Extravaganza, which is Roger's baby.

It's telling that Brian makes a point of saying he does not want to be misquoted about working on anything in the vault and that recording new material doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.

The FM + MJ tracks might be the only recording work they're considering. I wish she'd asked about solo work, if Brian's got anything on the go

I guess all we can take from this is that nothing new is planned that we don't already know about and anything can happen from this point on. 2012 may be relatively quiet.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It only took him 21 years to realize this!!!

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1229 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is all a little strange. Brian is questioning whether Queen can be Queen. Well we all know it's not Queen as it was. They managed to tour twice with Paul Rodgers and record and release two live albums, a studio album and three live DVD's. During this time their was no sign of Brian or Roger questioning if they where Queen or not.
So what's changed?
This year Brian said on his web site a couple of months ago that he and Kerry Ellis were beginning to work on new songs and they were thinking about live dates next summer.
Then Roger Taylor said that he feels to old to do more Queen shows, hence the Queen Extravaganza. But then a week ago he said that he and Brian were thinking about live dates next summer.
On top of this Brian has mentioned a live TV show with Lady GAGA as vocalist.

Queen4ever13 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen4ever13
Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amen Brian, so glad that you've finally verbalized this.

ParisNair user not visiting Queenzone.com
See right through you!!
ParisNair
Bohemian: 873 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Are we Queen? In a sense we are but in another sense we never can be,” May said

I feel I can now listen to Q + PR with an open mind.

mrbadguy82 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as much as i love Brian May & Roger Taylor and the stuff they do together, Queen will only ever be Queen when i hear Roger's drums, Brian's guitar, Johns bass and Freddie's voice.

MattB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been a Queen fan for 30 years and they're my favorite band of all time. Coincidentally, my favorite singer is Paul Rodgers. Naturally when Queen and Paul Rodgers teamed up, I was happy as a clam. Having seen 3 of the US shows (Continental Arena, DCU Center, and Nassau Coliseum), I believe it was an enormous success and while not really Queen, a terrific effort. I was not as impressed with the ensuing album "The Cosmos Rocks" though.

I don't see a problem with Brian and Roger continuing as Queen + Adam Lambert, Lady Gaga or anyone else. In our star-obsessed culture, we fail to recognize the humanity of our idols. Queen did NOT die in 1992 with Freddie Mercury. Brian, Roger and John are still living (whether or not John chooses to participate) and are entitled to build on the body of work they created.

Elton John once said that it must be like keeping a Ferrari in the garage for Brian and Roger. How true! Brian and Roger can still out-rock virtually any band on the planet. Why should they not continue as Queen? No one expects Freddie to be replaced and Brian and Roger have never remotely suggested it. Anything they do is a tribute to the greatness of Freddie and Queen.

Personally, I hope that Brian and Roger are back here on US shores in the near future. The Worcester DCU Center show in 2006 was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

rhyeking

queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 13 Dec 11, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't exactly quote Brian without listening to it again - but he also stated something to the effect of ..... trying to go forward as Queen with a new singer doesn't really work and made a comparison to attempting to go forward in life with a "replacement" brother or a "new" father - just not possible.

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
rhyeking

Posted: 14 Dec 11, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They never did replace Freddie.

The Queen+ releases were collaborations. Paul Rodgers was never a member of Queen, nor was George Michael or Robbie Williams or any of the others. And since Brian and Roger can sing lead, and have on numerous Queen recordings, tracks like "No One But You" avoided the need to replace Freddie.

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 11, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote: They never did replace Freddie.

The Queen+ releases were collaborations. Paul Rodgers was never a member of Queen, nor was George Michael or Robbie Williams or any of the others. Andsince Brian and Roger can sing lead, and have on numerous Queen recordings, tracks like "No One But You" avoided the need to replace Freddie.

In my opinion, "No-One But You" was the last true Queen song. The three of them together, paying a tribute to their friend. I'd rather they put it on "Greatest Hits III" though, the "Rocks" album was unnecessary. So yeah, John's departure sealed the end of the band for me, really. Having said this, things like "Days of Our Lives" DVD or "Stormtroopers..." exhibition do work for me and I wish them luck on SIMILAR projects.

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 11, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You'd NEVER believe that the guy actually has a doctorate, woud you?  What a genius.

Benn
L-R-TIGER1994 user not visiting Queenzone.com
member of the Royal Family
L-R-TIGER1994
Deity: 3652 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 11, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: It only took him 21 years to realize this!!!

You took the words out of my mouth! I´m glad Brian and Roger are still working and making music but the Queen+ projects had begun to frighten me.

Heap big woman you made an asshole outta me....gimme your bums and ride!!!!!!
queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 14 Dec 11, 19:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote: You'd NEVER believe that the guy actually has a doctorate, woud you?  What a genius.

Was it necessary to state this on Brian?   Your bad manners are showing and I have no patience for it today.

I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
SimonFerocious user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 11, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's be honest, Freddie's absence has forced Brian and Roger to work with some people that don't belong on the same stage as them (Dappy???). That's the thing I hate most about the death of Freddie, that these extremely talented musicians, producers and songwriters are reduced to that. Having said that, I do feel sympathy for the guys. They love to perform live and to work with other performers and they're taking every chance they can to do that. If there's one hope left, it's that John Deacon will reunite with them soon. We'd all love to see that so much. Come back, John!

myusername user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 11, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe that Brian May is going to be performing with Lady GaGa...she doesn't even deserve to be in the same room as him. Queen can NEVER be Queen with Freddie...I can't believe it took Brian this long to understand that. As much as I would love for Queen to go on, I think Brian needs to just...let it go. It was great while it lasted and it still is and it always will be. Queen will be Queen. Queen will be THE Queen that everyone knows and loves. I want to remember Queen like it used to be, not with some autotuned freak singing Freddie's sacred lyrics.

alBHMfan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 11, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simonferocious wrote: "a lot of people are up there with queen that don't belong there. That's the thing I hate the most about the death of Freddie"
Really??? The thing I hate the most about the death of Freddie is that he suffered terribly. He was in such tremendous pain towards the end of his life that musicians &/or music, no matter how good they were, is the last thing you think about when faced with death.

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts

Posted: 15 Dec 11, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

audio

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167274

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms