Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Bad experiences with the new BluRay

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Days of our Lives BluRay has arrived today. Now I'm officially as angry as I haven't been a long long time. I spent 4 fucking hours trying to PLAY this shit.

I don't have a standalone BR player, and I DON'T WANT IT. I have basically 2 computers with BluRay drives + legal versions of PowerDVD (which were bundled with the drives). I tried it on my "main" computer, where I have PowerDVD 9 installed. The attempt to load the disc ended with the message that my PowerDVD has to be updated. Well, OK, it's a legal piece of software, so why not ? I tried to update it, but Cyberdyne - or Cyberlink decided that PowerDVD is too old and they don't make any updates for it anymore. But wait a moment, they're great, I can upgrade my version to PowerDVD 11. Cool, isn't it ?
Well, it sounds like a great help, but unfortunately the upgrade costs 49.95 .

Is the world completely insane ? I want to watch a bloody bluray disc, and I have to first buy the hardware, the software, the disc itself and than AGAIN the software ? We're currently doing a major upgrade for one of our customers and it's done as standard operational support, if we would go to the customer and tell them "Hey, I know you have an old version of C****S with which you are completely satisfied, but we have decided that you must upgrade, so give us another million" - they would think we're insane.

Well so I decided that if I simply rip it to my hard disc, I will be able to play it from my HDD since the ripper will remove the protection. The result - PowerDVD doesn't even bother to throw at me an error message, even some stupid "Exception : nil" which I generate daily would be great !

I got fed up with PowerDVD and I have decided to try WinDVD (just to get "something else"), of course an ILLEGAL COPY - I hate trials, and I wanted to test if the playback works. So I download it, install it, and what happens ? WindDVD starts to actually play the BluRay, and stops after a few seconds. Why ? Because "This protected media can only be displayed through digital output" ???
WTF ? Why the fuck does it care HOW DO I CONNECT MY MONITOR ???
My monitor has ONLY an analog input, should I really buy even a new monitor just to play one fucking documentary ???

HOW CAN I PLAY THIS ???? Any tips please ?

PS : FUCK YOU QUEEN PRODUCTIONS !
FUCK YOU UNIVERSAL !
FUCK YOU  Cyberlink !

PPS This was the LAST BLU-RAY I EVER BOUGHT ! These cunts don't deserve my money.

To play the documentary on my computer, I have to
1. buy a BluRay drive
2. buy PowerDVD
3. buy the BluRay
4. buy an upgrade license for PowerDVD
5. buy a new monitor ( even when I'm absolutely satisfied with my current Samsung SyncMaster 2443NW)  which will have a digital HDMI output
6. Buy a new graphic card, which will have HDMI output, even when I'm satisfied with my current
7. Buy a new motherboard, because none of the modern graphic cards will fit into my current motherboard
8. Connect the graphic card with my monitor only via HDMI

What will be next ? This must stop ! I BOUGHT the BluRay, why do you treat me like some thief ?

pittrek

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Or of course I can buy a standalone BluRay player. But not SOME BR player, but a BR player with internet access which can be updated via internet automatically .  Which means I have to create a WiFi network inside my hope. Which means I have to buy hardware for creating the WiFi ...

cmi user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmi
Bohemian: 645 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pittrek, it's very strange to see this kind of post from advanced person like you... Blu-Ray is very good and works perfectly on Blu-Ray player or PowerDVD or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 software for example. If you don't want to upgrade your software or hardware, please buy DVD and watch it with pleasure. It's easy decision...

pittrek

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

CMI wrote: Pittrek, it's very strange to see this kind of post from advanced person like you... Blu-Ray is very good and works perfectly on Blu-Ray player or PowerDVD or Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 software for example. If you don't want to upgrade your software or hardware, please buy DVD and watch it with pleasure. It's easy decision...

Are you sure it WILL work via Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 ? How do you have your monitor connected - analog or digital ?

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:

WTF ? Why the fuck does it care HOW DO I CONNECT MY MONITOR ???

It's a recent measure to prevent people from ripping (off) HD content...an optional per-disc part of the AACS protocol that attempts to secure the video channel between the source and the display, and it needs HDCP enabled digital devices to work.  It is designed to allow the video channel to kick HD down to DVD quality if the security is bypassed.  So I suspect that any new software you aquire will insist on digital components, and older software may force you to try to upgrade as you saw with PowerDVD.  Blame AACS.  And pirates.   Regarding wifi, I have so much wireless communication going on in my house that if we ever do decide it's actually bad for us I'll definitely be toast. Ha ha.  I forget that many people are actually still routerless!

bago.vidovic user not visiting Queenzone.com
bago.vidovic
Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a blu-ray drive in my computer but days of our lives doesnt play :( however i have the playstation 3 which plays everything so it works there :)

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My advice, annoying as it may be, would be to go for a stand alone Bluray player, so you can watch the stuff on a proper sized screen, rather than a PC monitor.  You don't HAVE to have it connected to a WiFi network.  Mine isn't, and never has been, as I don't want to view the Internet content, and I can upgrade the hardware via a download, burned to CD.

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bago.vidovic wrote: I have a blu-ray drive in my computer but days of our lives doesnt play :( however i have the playstation 3 which plays everything so it works there :)

As of January 1, 2011 any blu-ray players manufactured must prohibit analogue output, and that includes the new PS3s.   Just in case the OP was going to run out and buy a PS3,   or a new player, and doesn't have HDMI on his TV. :)

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 17:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi pittrek i haven´t a standalone BR player either, but i can play a BR in my pc with Free software (the only thing i need is a good video card cause the video is a little unsync with the audio)
The software (100% free and without instalation) is called MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC - HOME CINEMA
Try with it! i hope it works!

Cheers!

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 17:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: Or of course I can buy a standalone BluRay player. But not SOME BR player, but a BR player with internet access which can be updated via internet automatically .  Which means I have to create a WiFi network inside myhope. Which means I have to buy hardware for creating the WiFi ...

There´s standalone bluray player with LAN access (LAN works with the conmon blue RJ14 cable) so you don´t need Wi fi to conect the player to Internet.

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote:
It's a recent measure to prevent people from ripping (off) HD content...
=======================================================================================

Haha!
That's the biggest laugh ever!
First thing I did when I got my copy was extract the files on my PC using free software easily found on the internet, strip the protection and then back them all up on my Queen video hard-drive; Something which, I might add, I'm legally allowed to do here in the UK, so long as it's purely for my own purposes.

I'm more pissed off at the fact that it's NTSC again (well, 60i), which means they've had to create frames to fit the format and therefore added drag and jerking to the picture.
Whilst the sound is a major improvement, compared to the HD broadcast on the BBC, the new bluray is hard to actually watch.
I can't believe that QPL go to all the trouble of making their product "sound" perfect, but then they happily let Universal fuck it all up by converting PAL video material to NTSC.
3/4 of the world use PAL as their DVD format you know, so why do we constantly end up pandering to the fucking Yanks and their lower quality video format???????

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan wrote: As of January 1, 2011 any blu-ray players manufactured must prohibit analogue output, and that includes the new PS3s.   Just in case the OP was going to run out and buy a PS3,   or a new player, and doesn't have HDMI on his TV. :)
===========================================

Well that's a fucker for me then because I still have a Standard Def CRT.
Can't afford an HDTV. There's a recession on and I have a mortgage to pay.

At the end of the day it's all pointless.
Just go out and buy an HDMI-analogue converter.

Freddie rey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Freddie rey
Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had the same problem as you. I can play it finally on my computer with a program called Any DVD HD. That program can remove all the copyright and anti-copy things and play the bluray disc. Please, try it :)

Queen is the best
popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're being to harsh.

Just because you can't play the disc, it doesn't mean you have to post "do not buy the new blu-ray". At least write something like "i can't play the Blu-Ray". A friend of mine bought it, and he showed me and it plays without any problem on his PC.

Just because you can't play it, does it mean that no one should buy it?

I'm pretty sure that there are people who bought the Blu-Ray and didn't find any problems playing it.

popy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 450 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:

GratefulFan wrote:
It's a recent measure to prevent people from ripping (off) HD content...
=======================================================================================

Haha!
That's the biggest laugh ever!
First thing I did when I got my copy was extract the files on my PC using free software easily found on the internet, strip the protection and then back them all up on my Queen video hard-drive; Something which, I might add, I'm legally allowed to do here in the UK, so long as it's purely for my own purposes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts

Posted: 19 Dec 11, 22:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My BluRay player was 80 dollars at Wal-Mart. What on earth could be the problem?

God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 11, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ironically (or not) Daniel above me it's quite right...

a cheap blu-ray player does all the right work...

or even better, why not gettin' a full Power DVD version 11 with an "illegal" serial?

it works (it always works) perfectly for me...

give it a go to my last advice, Pete !

Ale Solan user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sod off.
Ale Solan
Deity: 8973 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 11, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sometimes the RIGHT way it's the  WRONG way :P

pittrek

Posted: 20 Dec 11, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie rey wrote: I had the same problem as you. I can play it finally on my computer with a program called Any DVD HD. That program can remove all the copyright and anti-copy things and play the bluray disc. Please, try it :)

Thanks for the tip. I don't like the idea of having an illegal program running in the background only to be able to watch a legally BOUGHT BluRay, but it looks like I will have to do it

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 20 Dec 11, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why didn't you just simply buy a bluray player instead of trying to get it to play on your computer?

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t