Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Tips for the perfect release

forum rss feed
Author

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the last day of a quite successful year (regarding Queen releases).
The band has shown us that they have really a huge amount of great audio and video recordings. What do you think would be worth releasing ?

My tips :

BBC box
--------
Allright, the bonus discs featured some excellent sounding BBC recordings, but where is the rest ? The Stormtroopers exhibition and the new BluRay featured clips of various Top Of The Pops performances, but where are the full shows ?
The band has done 6 BBC radio sessions, plus the Golders Green Hippodrome 73, the Christmas Eve show from Hammersmith Odeon in 75 and of course Live Aid were broadcast on the radio and I'm not even counting all the interviews.
They have also appeared on Top of The Pops for a few times (3 times miming Seven Seas Of Rhye, 2 times miming Killer Queen, once miming Now I'm Here, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy and Las Pallabras De Amor), had a couple of BBC-specific versions of their videos shown on both TOTP and OGWT  (Keep Yourself Alive, Bohemian Rhapsody, Bicycle Race, Death On Time ...), full concerts were shown (Hammersmith Odeon 75) and I have no idea how many interviews were done. Why don't you guys take it all and release it as a multi-CD/multi-DVD(or BluRay) release ? Put it in some nice package and add some rare photos and you have a bestseller !

A Concert For Life : The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert For AIDS Awareness
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next year it will be 20 years since this "last chapter of the Queen book" took place and we still don't have a "proper" release. We only have an edited VHS, which features less than 75% of the concert, and a brutally edited DVD, which features less than 40% of the whole show. While I understand that Plant doesn't want the world to see that he couldn't remember a word from Innuendo, but what about releasing an "ALMOST COMPLETE" version ? Next year is the 20th anniversary gentlemen !

Live At The Rainbow
-------------------
Since we FINALLY got BOTH nights from Wembley 86 this year, why don't you inspire yourself and release both nights of Rainbow ? The Rainbow VHS was a great release for 1992, but the fans actually want an un-edited and un-overdubbed version :-)
You know what was the BEST bonus for me on the BluRay ? The part of Liar from the second night, that's EXACTLY the kind of material that is precious to collectors :-)

Live at Hyde Park
-----------------
OK, so you got out hundreds of thousands (or how many, I don't know) fans to a great gig, you film the whole day and you don't release it in the last 35 years ? Well I don't see any logic in there, but that's not important :-) The important thing is that you have shown us this year that you have this concert in excellent video and audio quality, and it's only waiting for an official release.

Live in Houston
---------------
This would be an excellent and the most logical release. You have footage of the band arriving to the venue, footage of the band backstage, the soundcheck and a multi-camera recording of the concert itself. This would be really an absolutely logical release.

Live in Hammersmith Odeon 79
----------------------------
My personal favourite concert of all times. I don't care that if you have the multitracks or not, the mono sound captured by the cameras is perfect for most of the fans :-) Just PLEASE release it and I'll shut up :-)

Live Killers
------------
You know what would be the PERFECT bonus to next years re-re-re-re-re-re-release of Live Killers ? A double DVD set with all the incomplete concerts from this tour, which you have (at least Brussels, Rotterdam, Munchen, Barcelona ...)

Live Magic - Knebworth
----------------------
Well we always knew that the band archives contain footage of the last concert when Queen were Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon and Roger Taylor (plus Spike Edney, the "unsung hero" of course). Even Brian admitted that the "documentary footage" shot by DoRo still exists. I don't care if it's boring or not, it would be the PERFECT release. Couple it with Pete Still's amazing photos and the full soundboard recording and you have another bestseller !

What do other Queenzoners think ?

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All great suggestions, and the move to Universal at least gives them the opportunity to do something, but I won't be holding my breath while I'm waiting. They've already missed so many opportunities to release some of this stuff. It's been over 30 years since all of this stuff -- how much longer?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do have to say Pitters, that out of ALL the concerts held in the Queen archive and our own, the FM Tribute concert is the LAST one I would ever want to see again.

bago.vidovic user not visiting Queenzone.com
bago.vidovic
Rocker: 34 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about Budapest ? Would it be worth releasing ?

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This just the same question that has been asked a million times before......

Mr. Bulsara user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And don't forget Rio 1985, Japan 1985, Caracas 1981,
Argentina 1981, Earl's Court 1977, Sao Paulo 1981, Tokyo 1982, Sydney 1985. All this concerts worth a DVD or Blu-ray Release

André Bulsara
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 11, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've never heard Death On Time, though I am quite fond of Dead On Two Legs. In all seriousness though, this is well thought out and I agree with it for the most part. The Tribute Show could definitely do with a re-release, it's annoying watching a truncated version, though Brian's said there isn't any planned because of all the royalties.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the famine of official 70s releases come to an end sometime soon.

rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2578 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to see Live at the Rainbow theatre 1974 with new stereo sound mix and complete footage

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
Bad Seed user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bad Seed
Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 12:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: It's the last day of a quite successful year (regarding Queen releases).
The band has shown us that they have really a huge amount of great audio and video recordings. What do you think would be worth releasing ?

My tips :

Live in Houston
---------------
This would be an excellent and the most logical release. You have footage of the band arriving to the venue, footage of the band backstage, the soundcheck and a multi-camera recording of the concert itself. This would be really an absolutely logical release.

What do other Queenzoners think ?
===================================

I think this could be a great release but can't see it happening as they don't seem to have the multi-track audio.
It could/should be released in a similar way to 'The Song Remains The Same'. First showing the band arriving in the USA, then the soundcheck and backstage footage. Highlights of the show (also with the footage the BBC shot) could then be shown with the '77 OGWT footage shown in between songs.

I really hope QP have considered something like this. Its such a waste that all of that wonderful footage seems to be just sitting gathering dust. I'd love to know what Bob Harris really thinks about it.

Bigfish user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 430 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but Hyde park will never see the light of day because it was a bad performance particularly Freds singing - great occasion though it may have been..

Big Fish
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Bulsara wrote:
And don't forget Rio1985, Japan 1985, Caracas 1981, Argentina 1981, Earl's Court 1977, Sao Paulo 1981, Tokyo 1982, Sydney 1985. All this concerts worth a DVD or Blu-ray Release

================

The quality of most of these shows isn't good enough for a blu-ray, or even a DVD.  The only one of those worth releasing in full is Earls Court 77.  There are plenty of 80s DVDs already, but I'd make an exception for Knebworth.

Concerts from Queen's artistic peak do not exist for the public outside ofy outube.  Rainbow, Hammersmith, Hyde Park, Earls Court and Houston would all be welcome DVD releases.  And clearly the footage and audio are still intact, judging by recent releases and broadcasts.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bigfish wrote:

Sorry but Hyde park will never see the light of day because it was a bad performance particularly Freds singing - great occasion though it may have been..

===============

Don't judge it based on the existing video.  There are quality issues that make his voice sound much worse than it was.  He sounds great on the audience tape.

Freddie sounds better at Hyde Park than he does on most of Live Killers.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

mooghead

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can anyone here upload a proper untampered with clip of Hyde Park because from what I have seen the stage looks crap and the sound is crap (and Freddie bottles a lot of his notes..)

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: Can anyone here upload a proper untampered with clip of Hyde Park because from what I have seen the stage looks crap and the sound is crap (and Freddie bottles a lot of his notes..)

Have you seen some official documentaries from last years ? Like the ANATO anniversary DVD or last years BluRay ?

rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2578 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote: mooghead wrote: Can anyone here upload a proper untampered with clip of Hyde Park because from what I have seen the stage looks crap and the sound is crap (and Freddie bottles a lot of his notes..)

Have you seen some official documentaries from last years ? Like the ANATO anniversary DVD or last years BluRay ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don`t worry! mooghead didn`t see concerts and he didn`t listen to Queen, he`s another one dog with a bone

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
mooghead

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes... can anyone add an untampered version of the gig or not?

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All we've seen is clips in documentaries.  Here's the only complete song -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxOTa4MEAzo

shamar user not visiting Queenzone.com
shamar
Bohemian: 128 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:The band has shown us that they have really a huge amount of great audio and video recordings. What do you think would be worth releasing ?

New album and tour with Adam Lamb. It will be definitely the best thing they can do...

Come on... These guys had great possibility to release great stuff on 40th anniversary. They didn't do that.
I bet probably most of fans don't care about their words anymore.

People lost faith in these guys. That's all...

Nobody buys another shit about new releases, working and stuff.

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hyde Park is an interesting one, the quality of his singing varies a lot (the peak being You Take My Breath Away, which is phenomenal), but it's never gets to the point of being a particularly bad performance.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Jan 12, 18:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it any coincidence that people think YTMBA is the best performance of the show, while it is the only song that has been properly released?

There is no such thing as a bad Queen show.  A few came close, but Hyde Park ain't one of them.