Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Livekillers/ Live Magic 2012

forum rss feed
Author

madmetaltom user not visiting Queenzone.com
madmetaltom
Bohemian: 239 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

do you think they will release them in 2 box sets?

Tell me what you think

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4283 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would love a Live Killers boxset, including the original album remixed and updated to include tracks like It's Late, Fat Bottomed Girls, Somebody To Love and If You Can't Beat Them. Throw in a dvd with highlights of the 1979 tour. Some replicas of tourbooks/tickets/merchandise. Include the new version of the album on 4 45-RPM red/green 12" discs. Include a download for a full soundboard show from the 1979 tour.

But we'll probably get Budapest on DVD or something.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Personally, I don't see a box happening... There is more than enough material for one, however.

They should remaster it and include the additional tracks Pim mentioned... This is what Zeppelin did with Soundtrack to the film The Song Remains The Same.

Additionally, they should release the Kampuchea concert on blu-ray simultaneously.

We'd all be content with that.

Kevinrm15 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 273 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Both will be reissued this year, but unsure about bonus being included. Live Killers however will contain PROPER sleeve notes.

Doga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Doga
Bohemian: 938 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Bluray release of Hammy 79 would be great. They find/have the masters at the end?
And other question, is the gig filmed in 16 mm? if the answer is yes, they could release a bluray.

Oh, and a complete release of Budapest will be glorious.

Toozeup user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Budapest is the only other show that was shot on film so it's the only realistic candidate left for a blu-ray release. Although Munich 79 was shot on 16mm I believe but I don't know if the complete show was filmed or not

Doga

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 17:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read somewhere that Munich 79 was incomplete and was filmed for TV (like Wembley, Argentina, Sao Paulo...)
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Queen filmed Rainbow, Montreal and Budapest, (Rainbow & Budapest in 35 mm and Montreal in 65 mm IMAX)
But 16 mm tapes are far better than the Bluray HD, so they didn't have problems in transfer their old 16 mm tapes into bluray.
This left us with Rainbow, Hammy 75, Earls Court, Houston, Japan 85 and Budapest for candidates for a Bluray release (along with Montreal of course). Oh, and i forget Hyde Park.
And i have the doubt if they could release Hammy 79, Japan 82 and some others in HD because i don't know how were filmed.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2237 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 18:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good God. Why does EVERYBODY seem to think that only HD or film material can be released on Bluray?
It's a sodding STORAGE format. They could release bloody photographs and music in mp3 on a bluray disc if they wanted.
This isn't the only thread where people have said/commented/stated this so PLEASE, somebody shoot the next dickhead who makes a comment about how they can only release something on a bluray disc if it was shot on film or in HD. Obviously these idiots don't understand what a  Bluray disc is yet!

Look at the recent Days Of Our Lives release.
How much of that was actually shot in Standard Definition PAL or NTSC interlaced video?
Answer: A LOT of it! and it was still released on a Bluray disc.

The DVD video format is limited and does NOT hold the full 625lines of a PAL video recording, plus there's the issue of bitrate.
With a Bluray disc, they can encode to a high bitrate mpeg2 if they wanted AND have enough room to present the full 625 horizontal resolution so that it looks EXACTLY the same quality as the master tape.

Can we end this now please and everyone just accept that Bluray is a more ideal medium for presenting Standard Definition video recordings than DVD!

Doga

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah! I knew that, If they want they could release an old 8 mm amateur tape and it will be ok, but i was talking about a proper HD release.

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

flu wrote: I read somewhere that Munich 79 was incomplete and was filmed for TV (like Wembley, Argentina, Sao Paulo...)
Correct me if i'm wrong, but Queen filmed Rainbow, Montreal and Budapest, (Rainbow & Budapest in 35 mm and Montreal in 65 mm IMAX)
But 16 mm tapes are far better than the Bluray HD, so they didn't have problems in transfer their old 16 mm tapes into bluray.
This left us with Rainbow, Hammy 75, Earls Court, Houston, Japan 85 and Budapest for candidates for a Bluray release (along with Montreal of course). Oh, and i forget Hyde Park.
And i have the doubt if they could release Hammy 79, Japan 82 and some others in HD because i don't know how were filmed.

Rainbow wasn`t shot on 35 mm but on 2" tapes... about Hyde Park many people say it was recorded on 2" tapes too and later "storaged" on 16 mm...
As brian wig says even a vhs (8 mm isnt a good example cause it has till 900 lines) could be released on Blu ray BUT if we speak about TRUE FULL HD releases on Blu ray they could release Budapest 1986, some angles from Houtson 77 or even maybe some gig recorded by bob harris crew, japan 75,munich 79,etc
Aparently Hammermith 75 was shot on 2" tapes too... another thing to acount for a proper TRUE FULL HD release is the audio, i always prefer a live release with GOOD audio even if it hasn`t a great video...

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
rocknrolllover user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hangman
rocknrolllover
Deity: 2578 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 12, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I doubt that reissue of live albums in the form of box sets, and I doubt that something will be on dvd

I've got the power to love to live

I can't say it ain't right
madmetaltom user not visiting Queenzone.com
madmetaltom
Bohemian: 239 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 12, 06:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thay can't pretend Live magic/Live killers didn't happen same as the live stuff on vhs!

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 10 Jan 12, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The fact that they 'can't' won't stop them from doing so...

Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think with these rediciones there will be some live dvd

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 12, 08:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm hoping for some live DVD releases this year.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 12, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since they've said the live albums will be re-released this year, this is my prediction:

-Live Killers expanded, with proper liner notes, and bonus tracks from Paris/London 79
-Live Magic expanded - full Knebworth
-Hammersmith 75 DVD

I'd be happy with that. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 12, 01:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My tip :

Live Killers with bonus tracks from let's say Frankfurt, + 2 DVDs containing bits of Rainbow 74, Hammersmith Odeon 75, Paris, Tokyo 79

Live Killers - bonus CD with missing tracks from Knebworth, 2 DVDs with all what they have from all Magic shows including Budapest and Knebworth

on my way up user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 12, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Since they've said the live albums will be re-released this year, this is my prediction:
-Live Killers expanded, with proper liner notes, and bonus tracks from Paris/London 79
-Live Magic expanded - full Knebworth
-Hammersmith 75 DVD
I'd be happy with that. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Ok, that'd be pretty good but:
Why not release London'79 (Hammy) on its own? That show is beyond amazing...

on my way up
tero! 48531 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 737 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 12, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Realistically speaking, these live albums are going to get the same treatment as the studio albums.

That means 5 alternate live versions of the biggest hits, and a whole lot of disappointed fans for each release.

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 12, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pittrek wrote:
My tip :
Live Killers with bonus tracks from let's say Frankfurt, + 2 DVDs containing bits of Rainbow 74, Hammersmith Odeon 75, Paris, Tokyo 79
Live Killers - bonus CD with missing tracks from Knebworth, 2 DVDs with all what they have from all Magic shows including Budapest and Knebworth

Sorry pittrek but that is too much idealist... i think the reality will be a bit different...
i´d wish they released something like what bob says... or at least i´d wish that they released something, even a re-edition of the live albums with a bonus disc with only 5 live songs, like the past year would be good (better than nothing i guess)

The possible reality:

* Live Killers (re-re-re-mastered) + bonus disc with:

-If tou can´t beat them
-Fat Bottomed Girls
-Complete Mustapha
-It´s late
-Whatever

* Live magic (re-re-re-mastered) + bonus disc with:

something similar... maybe and unedited version of Bohemian rhapsody,etc

What i want:

* Live Killers (remastered and remixed) + A dvd with footage from the nights recorded (paris,munich,etc), even a "compile" dvd would be good + Hammersmith 1979 dvd/bluray

* Live Magic (remastered and remixed) + a dvd with compile rare footage of the whole tour, much from Knebworth 86 + Budapest 86 dvd/bluray

* Hammersmith 1975 dvd with Hyde park 76 as bonus dvd

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury