Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Somebody To Love Live Discussion Thread (Debates/Discussions Needed)!

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For one of my upcoming projects, I want to make a video centered around the live versions of Somebody To Love! I want to know everybody's opinion on what they think is the best version of this song live. To make it slightly simpler, I'll nix all the Works Tour versions, and keep it to the 1977-1982 versions.

I'm torn between Crazy Tour Versions, the two 1980 recordings of the song, some 1981 versions, and a few 1982 versions for my personal opinion on the best version. I also think that Stockholm 1978 is excellent! I want to know everybody's opinion on the best version of the song live.

Here's a list that I made going off comments I've seen on Queenzone, Facebook, and Youtube. This list has 10 versions of STL that are almost always brought up when this song gets mentioned. The list is in chronological order:

1. Stockholm 1978
2. Newcastle 1979 (1st)
3. Newcastle 1979 (2nd)
4. Hammersmith 1979
5. Oakland 1980
6. Sao Paulo 1981 (1st night)
7. Monterrey 1981
8. Montreal 1981
9. Munich 1982
10. Milton Keynes 1982

I'm 100% sure that people would disagree, and say that some of the above versions aren't nominees for the best. I'm also 100% sure that people would nominate different versions for their opinion on the best version! I encourage debates, discussions, etc. The work on this site will be featured on Youtube (when the project gets done), so do your best!

-Gregsynthbootlegs

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
1sharppencil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 02:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

just to get things started:
my vote goes to mk, amazin' version

mut92 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 3 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 07:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you must add
rio(The first night)
Edinburgh (1982, first night)

Kacio user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kacio
Bohemian: 753 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, i love Stockholm 78, Sao Paulo 81, Montreal 81, Milton 82, Hammersmith 79 Leeds 82 and...hmm... Buenos Aires 81

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Buenos Aires 3-8-81
Puebla 10-17-81
Leiden 4-25-82
Leeds 82
Edinburgh 82 both nights
New York 7-28-82

...are worthy of a mention. Many of the News Of The World versions are good too (like Philadelphia and Houston 77), but they get lost in the mix because Freddie's r&b-influenced creativity in the early 80s brought him into another dimension.

1979-82 was Mercury's peak on stage, and he was growing as a vocalist and performer by the night. Shows like Hammersmith 79, Sao Paulo 81 and Milton Keynes 82 (all at the ends of tours) are peaks of periods of growth.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Milton Keynes number one for me

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've got a soft spot for Osaka 24/10/1982 too. Wonderful version of STL. Freddie was very creative on stage in 1982.

I agree with the Real Wizard concerning Freddie's peak shows. You could hear him get better - and more confident and consistent - from concert to concert. Imagine having an official Hammy'79 dvd. The best tribute to Freddie ever imo.

on my way up
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 16:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:
I've got a soft spot for Osaka 24/10/1982 too. Wonderful version of STL. Freddie was very creative on stage in 1982.
I agree with the Real Wizard concerning Freddie's peak shows. You could hear him get better - and more confident and consistent - from concert to concert. Imagine having an official Hammy'79 dvd. The best tribute to Freddie ever imo.

If that was officially released--it would probably be the best show out of all of the official releases!

I think Osaka 1982 has a very underrated version. Sure he's not in the best voice, but at least he tries--and he's very creative. I find it better than 7/28/1982's version!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mut92 wrote:
you must add
rio(The first night)
Edinburgh (1982, first night)

The Edinburgh versions are fantastic! Rio is most likely the best version on the 1984/5 tour--but I'm just focusing on the "full" versions of the song.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 17 Jan 12, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That discussion wasn't going anywhere. This thread is more "people-orientated" and everybody's views will be featured in a video!

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 12, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually it's hard to choose. A few versions are just awesome, and I can't tell which one is better because all of them are fantastic. Hammy '79 is one of these awesome versions IMO.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
soxtalon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 12, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favorite STLs were when I heard Rog's backing vocals very clearly and Freddie did one of those really high falsetto whoooooos!!! One reason I love MK so much...But I also do have to say that Montreal, Hammy 79, Oakland 80, Puebla Mexico in 81 tickle my fancy as well...

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 19 Jan 12, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

soxtalon wrote:
My favorite STLs were when I heard Rog's backing vocals very clearly and Freddie did one of those really high falsetto whoooooos!!! One reason I love MK so much...But I also do have to say that Montreal, Hammy 79, Oakland 80, Puebla Mexico in 81 tickle my fancy as well...

Plenty of versions from 1979-1982 tickle my fancy as well--that's why it's so hard to chose the best version! With everybody's help, we can together figure out the best version (or at least narrow it down)!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 19 Jan 12, 02:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lostman wrote:
Actually it's hard to choose. A few versions are just awesome, and I can't tell which one is better because all of them are fantastic. Hammy '79 is one of these awesome versions IMO.

Most people will agree with Hammy 1979 being awesome!

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 19 Jan 12, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After looking through the comments on here, here's a list of the versions that got mentioned by everybody (in chronological order):
1. Philadelphia 1977
2. Houston 1977
3. Stockholm 1978
4. Hammy 1979
5. Oakland 1980
6. Buenos Aires (3/8/1981)
7. Sao Paulo (3/20/1981)
8. Puebla (10/17/1981)
9. Montreal 1981
10. Leiden (4/25/1982)
11. Leeds 1982
12. Edinburgh 1982 (both nights)
13. Milton Keynes 1982
14. New York (7/28/1982)
15. Osaka 1982

formulaone+queenmad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 19 Jan 12, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank god Edinburgh's in there! 6/1 is better than 6/2! And wait til Demitri comments! :P

fjac1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
fjac1980
Bohemian: 283 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Earls Court 1977 doesn't appear?

Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fjac1980 wrote:

The Races Tour versions aren't as good as other versions from different tours.

on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:
fjac1980 wrote:

The Races Tour versions aren't as good as other versions from different tours.

I agree but... Bristol '77 is an awesome version...

on my way up