Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen
Toronto, ON, Canada
Maple Leaf Gardens
December 3, 1978

AUD > ? > Cassette > WAV (GoldWave speed correction, edits) > FLAC level 8

This is an upgrade of the Toronto audience tape.  It's still a generation or two away from the master, but the EQ is more balanced, and it is the most complete version of the tape available.  The best previous versions had no less than 15 cuts between songs.  All of those cuts are absent here, and there is more tape at the beginning of the show than before.

There are still cuts in Spread Your Wings and Keep Yourself Alive (for tape flips, both at their respective 45-minute marks), and the cut in Somebody To Love was probably a security duck.  The tape wheel turning can be heard in the left channel for the few minutes surrounding the first tape flip.

The first portion of the show was taped on a 90 minute tape, but this copy was dubbed onto 60 minute tapes.  Fortunately they left plenty of overlap, so I seamlessly patched up the cuts in Get Down Make Love and during Freddie's speech before It's Late.  Interestingly enough, these are the same cuts that were on older versions of the recording, but they were not so generous with the overlap, resulting in missing music.

All credit to "A Word In Your Ear" for the original tape.

Everyone, please check your old cassette collections, as similar upgrades could very well be in there !  Post somewhere on this forum, and you can forward your samples to any number of people willing to compare your copy to theirs.  And if you don't have a tape deck, there are plenty of people ready to transfer tape to digital for everyone to enjoy.

Disc 1:

1. intro
 2. We Will Rock You (fast)
 3. Let Me Entertain You
 4. Somebody To Love [cut]
 5. If You Can't Beat Them
 6. Death On Two Legs
 7. Killer Queen
 8. Bicycle Race
 9. I'm In Love With My Car
10. Get Down, Make Love
11. You're My Best Friend
12. Now I'm Here
13. Spread Your Wings [cut]

Disc 2:

1. Spread Your Wings [continued]
 2. Dreamers Ball
 3. Love Of My Life
 4. '39
 5. It's Late
 6. Brighton Rock
 7. Fat Bottomed Girls
 8. Keep Yourself Alive [cut]
 9. Bohemian Rhapsody
10. Tie Your Mother Down
11. Sheer Heart Attack
12. We Will Rock You
13. We Are The Champions
14. God Save The Queen

https://mega.co.nz/#!lgNUTLib!Ii1dzQr7zNIk_6iJcosMEULOV5tqnXuGFEdT8umYr6Y

Enjoy, and keep it lossless !

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to hearing this recording... I like this tour a lot and I've always got a soft spot for this show, I prefer it over Montreal.

on my way up

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just listened to some bits. Sounds GREAT and heard this show for the first time in a LONG while and must say: fantastic!

Thanks again, and keep up the good work;-)

on my way up
GuitarMay user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ainda vale a pena viver !?
GuitarMay
Bohemian: 991 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

New upgrades,
thanks so much !!!
\0/

sorry for my bad english...

Keep QUEEN alive, yeah :-)

Viva o CLUBE ATLÉTICO MINEIRO (GALO)

Campeão da Copa Libertadores 2013 da Recopa Sul-Americana 2014 & agora Campeão da Copa do Brasil 2014
bokkepoot user not visiting Queenzone.com
bokkepoot
Royalty: 1941 posts

Posted: 20 Jan 12, 23:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much Bob !!

thefallenqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
thefallenqueen
Bohemian: 699 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

looking forward to listen to this upgrade, thanks a lot

MercurialFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
old fashioned dandy
MercurialFreddie
Bohemian: 823 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome ! Thanks very much for posting this gem !

MercurialFreddie user not visiting Queenzone.com
old fashioned dandy
MercurialFreddie
Bohemian: 823 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, it's worth noting that on this recording we can hear some nice drums work from Roger

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Recordings like this prove perfectly that Queen was an awesome ROCKband. Live they knew how to rock in a unique and wonderful way. There are only a couple of bands in the same league as Queen in that regard imo. The atmosphere is wonderful. Gotta love Freddie's comments after Let me entertain you haha.

Agree with Bob: people should check there cassettecollections. There are some (huge) upgrades to be found in those collections. Going from B+ quality to A- (like in this case) may look like a small upgrade while in fact it's a very important upgrade. Of course, not having all those cuts is very important aswell. I'm certainly hoping for more such stuff in 2012:-)

on my way up
brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bumping this one up so that it doesn't get lost amongst all of the REALLY OLD threads that have come back to life these last few days.
Right. I'm back off to look at my new Lady GaGa book....

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2239 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bumpo!

GuitarMay user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ainda vale a pena viver !?
GuitarMay
Bohemian: 991 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

on my way up wrote:
Recordings like this prove perfectly that Queen was an awesome ROCKband. Live they knew how to rock in a unique and wonderful way. There are only a couple of bands in the same league as Queen in that regard imo. The atmosphere is wonderful. Gotta love Freddie's comments after Let me entertain you haha.
Agree with Bob: people should check there cassettecollections. There are some (huge) upgrades to be found in those collections. Going from B+ quality to A- (like in this case) may look like a small upgrade while in fact it's a very important upgrade. Of course, not having all those cuts is very important aswell. I'm certainly hoping for more such stuff in 2012:-)

I fully agree with everything said, on my way up.
Queen is "the band" !! Throughout his career they had gathered all the best in all of the terms and at their concerts created an indescribable atmosphere like this in Toronto.
Queen, the only and incomparable.
...and I wish always have more and more upgrades :)

sorry for my bad english...

Keep QUEEN alive, yeah :-)

Viva o CLUBE ATLÉTICO MINEIRO (GALO)

Campeão da Copa Libertadores 2013 da Recopa Sul-Americana 2014 & agora Campeão da Copa do Brasil 2014
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1789 posts

Posted: 21 Jan 12, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
QueenToronto, ON, CanadaMaple Leaf GardensDecember 3, 1978AUD > ? > Cassette > WAV (GoldWave speed correction, edits) > FLAC level 8This is an upgrade of the Toronto audience tape.  It's still a generation or two away from the master, but the EQ is more balanced, and it is the most complete version of the tape available.  The best previous versions had no less than 15 cuts between songs.  All of those cuts are absent here, and there is more tape at the beginning of the show than before.There are still cuts in Spread Your Wings and Keep Yourself Alive (for tape flips, both at their respective 45-minute marks), and the cut in Somebody To Love was probably a security duck.  The tape wheel turning can be heard in the left channel for the few minutes surrounding the first tape flip.The first portion of the show was taped on a 90 minute tape, but this copy was dubbed onto 60 minute tapes.  Fortunately they left plenty of overlap, so I seamlessly patched up the cuts in Get Down Make Love and during Freddie's speech before It's Late.  Interestingly enough, these are the same cuts that were on older versions of the recording, but they were not so generous with the overlap, resulting in missing music.All credit to "A Word In Your Ear" for the original tape.Everyone, please check your old cassette collections, as similar upgrades could very well be in there !  Post somewhere on this forum, and you can forward your samples to any number of people willing to compare your copy to theirs.  And if you don't have a tape deck, there are plenty of people ready to transfer tape to digital for everyone to enjoy.Disc 1: 1. intro 2. We Will Rock You (fast) 3. Let Me Entertain You 4. Somebody To Love [cut] 5. If You Can't Beat Them 6. Death On Two Legs 7. Killer Queen 8. Bicycle Race 9. I'm In Love With My Car10. Get Down, Make Love11. You're My Best Friend12. Now I'm Here13. Spread Your Wings [cut]Disc 2: 1. Spread Your Wings [continued] 2. Dreamers Ball 3. Love Of My Life 4. '39 5. It's Late 6. Brighton Rock 7. Fat Bottomed Girls 8. Keep Yourself Alive [cut] 9. Bohemian Rhapsody10. Tie Your Mother Down11. Sheer Heart Attack12. We Will Rock You13. We Are The Champions14. God Save The Queenhttp://www.multiupload.com/ZDUJDWGTN4I'll post the second link early next week.Enjoy, and keep it lossless !

============================================================

Thanks Bob, Yes great idea, if everyone dug out their old audio collections, you never know, there might be some more upgrades lurking amongst them....

Joyful the sound
bokkepoot

Posted: 22 Jan 12, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bump

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard

Posted: 23 Jan 12, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Part 2 is now posted.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

vivaqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
vivaqueen
Bohemian: 782 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 12, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MERCI BEAUCOUP SIR

bokkepoot

Posted: 23 Jan 12, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing this second part :)

ShortSharpShock user not visiting Queenzone.com
(Dedicated to ...
ShortSharpShock
Champion: 70 posts

Posted: 23 Jan 12, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much!

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1789 posts

Posted: 24 Jan 12, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Again Bob, for doing your thing with this recording!!!

Joyful the sound
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard

Posted: 24 Jan 12, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any time man !  Here's hoping a couple others from your collection turn out to be upgrades.

A slight oversight - here is a replacement for '39, with a slight cut/repeat removed.  Can't believe I missed this one earlier.

http://www.mediafire.com/?hdw3graa434hadu