Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Hot Space No 14 on Classic Rocks worst album list

forum rss feed
Author

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 02:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kiss came 1st

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/the-50-worst-albums-ever/#more-47268

TBH i like hot space but thats just my opinion and it did get quite high in the UK charts

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'm surprised it's so low on the list
i woulda put it about 3 or 4

go deo na hÉireann
Amazon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 996 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: "i'm surprised it's so low on the list
i woulda put it about 3 or 4"

Please tell me that you're not serious! :D

Hot Space is no classic, but IMO it is extremely fun, and in no way is it one of the 50 worse albums of all time. I think that is just absurd.

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6246 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It all depends on what list of albums you're selecting them from. Hot Space certainly wouldn't qualify as "worst record of 1982", but on the list of "worst gold or platinum-selling records of 1982" it would certainly be up high.

My guess is they drew up the list from albums they've reviewed in the past.

I couldn't draw up a "bottom-50" list, so to speak, but I certainly rank Hot Space pretty low (although there is an enormous quantity of junk waaaay below it). I believe a pretty good EP could be made from it.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

YAFF user not visiting Queenzone.com
YAFF
Bohemian: 330 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 09:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

plumrach wrote: Kiss came 1st

Kiss  should've filled up all fifty places. Worst Band Ever.

brENsKi

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Amazon wrote:
brENsKi wrote: "i'm surprised it's so low on the list
i woulda put it about 3 or 4"
Please tell me that you're not serious! :D
Hot Space is no classic, but IMO it is extremely fun, and in no way is it one of the 50 worse albums of all time. I think that is just absurd.

that's not what the article is about
the editorial of the mag sums it up perfectly:
" because it;s just cost you the best aprt of your spending money, and becuase of your loyalty to the feckless eedjits whose name is on the cover, you will spend the next few weeks listening to it over and over, praying that it's a "grower"
the 50 worst albums of all time article is about great bands producing something sh*t - it 's about classic rock groups' 50 worst

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I still disagree. Even if we are only talking about great bands, I think it's 'terrible' status is highly overstated. Among Queen albums, I don't even think it's the worst.

Furthermore, if the article is about great bands producing something that is shit, then why is Kiss on the list? No, I suspect that it's a list of the 50 worse albums of all time, full stop. The term classic rock refers to the type of music, not to the artists being great. I think the article is exactly as I thought.

brENsKi

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you're using "great" in a subjective manner...i agree (imo) kiss aren't great...but the "great" in this article is measure on more than personal opinion.....
sales, worldwide status (kis were and always will be huge in USA and far east - approx 2/3 of the world classic rock market.
no it isn't a simply a "worst albums of all time" article - every band listed fits the classic rock category, and most were at the peak of their powers at the time their "50 worst" album came out
queen's in particular had massive emphasis - Hot Space was the album that killed queen in america for good - they went from USA dominance after AOBTD and CLTCL and the Game to not even being able to give Hot Space away in the USA....that merits their status in this top 50 list,,, that and Freddie's apology at MKeynes ( i know i was there) "it's only a bloody record" and "it doesn't mean we've lost our rock feel" is a clear statement that they underestimated their audience, they felt they could dish up anything and their loyal rock fan base would swallow it...cock balls and all

one more thing...even tho "the game" was funky-ish in places...it still sounded like old queen often enough to work were you a queen fan from their early days thru to 1982? because if you were then i think your perspective might be different. try and put yourself in the place of someone who had "grown up with this band" become part of their fanbase and eagerly awaited each new "rock" album they released....then going out to but this on day of release (like i did) - looking at the cover and thinking "what's this about?" then getting the album home and trying...really trying to get into it...but failing cos i can't....that's the position of most of the "royal rock fans" at that time....it hurt...which is why freddie apologised

finally, while queen were "jerking off and strutting their funky stuff" other rock bands were releasing some great hard rock albums
rush, sabbath, halen, lizzy, etc

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: "you're using "great" in a subjective manner...i agree (imo) kiss aren't great...but the "great" in this article is measure on more than personal opinion.....
sales, worldwide status (kis were and always will be huge in USA and far east - approx 2/3 of the world classic rock market.
no it isn't a simply a "worst albums of all time" article - every band listed fits the classic rock category, and most were at the peak of their powers at the time their "50 worst" album came out"

To some degree, I am using greatness in a subjective manner. However I simply don't agree with you that greatness can automatically be applied to the artists on this list. Ultimately, these are generally rock artists who were popular during the 70's. That doesn't make them great though. You talk about the classic rock market, however the artists they listen to were generally hard rock groups who were big in the 70's. That does not automatically make them great, not matter how many albums Kiss may have sold.

However, I think this is a red herring. Whether this is a list of the 50 worse albums of all time, or the 50 worse albums by great artists, I don't think that HS deserves to be there. It's an album containing arguably among Freddie's finest vocal work, has a couple of terrific solos from Brian, features one of the all-time bass riffs, and has Under Pressure.

"queen's in particular had massive emphasis - Hot Space was the album that killed queen in america for good - they went from USA dominance after AOBTD and CLTCL and the Game to not even being able to give Hot Space away in the USA....that merits their status in this top 50 list,,,"

I don't agree. If this is a list of the 50 worse albums of all time, and not a list of the 50 albums that killed the popularity of successful artists, then IMO it shouldn't be there. Hot Space may have destroyed Queen in America, but that is separate to it being a bad album. Popularity or lack thereof in the US does not indicate artistic quality, or lack thereof.

"that and Freddie's apology at MKeynes ( i know i was there) "it's only a bloody record" and "it doesn't mean we've lost our rock feel" is a clear statement that they underestimated their audience, they felt they could dish up anything and their loyal rock fan base would swallow it...cock balls and all"

That is presuming that Queen didn't go into Hot Space wanting to put out the best album they could, and instead just wanted to put out an album to cash in on their popularity. I doubt that Roger would feel that way, Brian was probably still in his pre-milk Queen's name days, while Freddie and John were both very much for the album.

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote: "one more thing...even tho "the game" was funky-ish in places...it still sounded like old queen often enough to work were you a queen fan from their early days thru to 1982? because if you were then i think your perspective might be different. try and put yourself in the place of someone who had "grown up with this band" become part of their fanbase and eagerly awaited each new "rock" album they released....then going out to but this on day of release (like i did) - looking at the cover and thinking "what's this about?" then getting the album home and trying...really trying to get into it...but failing cos i can't....that's the position of most of the "royal rock fans" at that time....it hurt...which is why freddie apologised'

I became a Queen fan after Freddie died, however I do understand what you're saying. As a matter of fact, when I first heard HS, I was massively disappointed with it; so much so, that I considered giving it away! It wasn't until some years later that I relistened to it, and I realized that it was actually pretty fun. (Although, I should note that I've always loved Staying Power, due to Freddie's vocals.)

I want to emphasize that I don't consider HS to be a masterpiece. I really don't. However when I think of Queen albums that disappoint me, I think of The Works & AKOM.

"Finally, while queen were "jerking off and strutting their funky stuff" other rock bands were releasing some great hard rock albums
rush, sabbath, halen, lizzy, etc"

The early 80's wasn't a great era for quite a few groups, not just Queen.

brENsKi

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. yes you are using greatness in a subjective manner
2. think you should check the list more than half of those listed ARE NOT hard rock artists..and never were
3. it's not saying it's 50 worst of all time - it's saying it's 50 worst by classic rock artists
4. wrong again - i said they underestimated their audience...which they did, their worldwide image was never the same since.

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
"1. yes you are using greatness in a subjective manner"

I said, 'To some degree, I am using greatness in a subjective manner.' There is nothing purely objective about greatness.

"2. think you should check the list more than half of those listed ARE NOT hard rock artists..and never were"

I was referring to the classic rock market, which you referred to originally. However, it's still a red herring. The question is, does HS belong?

"3. it's not saying it's 50 worst of all time - it's saying it's 50 worst by classic rock artists'

I feel like we're going around in circles. Whether it's the 50 worst of all time, or the 50 worst by classic rock artists, or the 50 worst by great artists, there is still only one relevant question. Does HS belong? IMO it does not.

"4. wrong again - i said they underestimated their audience...which they did, their worldwide image was never the same since."

What is wrong? It would help if you quoted whatever statement was wrong.

Also, how am I wrong again? When was I wrong the first time?

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space is certainly better than Wang Chung - Points On The Curve and I didn't see that one on the list.

brENsKi

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

your exact words were:
"You talk about the classic rock market, however the artists they listen to were generally hard rock groups who were big in the 70's"
i replied that more than half were not "hard rock" artists....

you skipped over my point...more than half were never hard rock artists...and the list gets longer if you start treating the likes of Jon Anderson and Genesis as the prog/art rock they were

go deo na hÉireann

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You've got me. I apologize for going by classic rock in general. However it still does not address whether HS belongs on this list. Unless you are more interested in debating what kind of list this is, I think HS's inclusion is more relevant.

You also haven't addressed what statement I made was wrong.

jamster1111 user not visiting Queenzone.com
jamster1111
Bohemian: 844 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is ridiculous. Why do people think Hot Space is such a bad album? It is a great album! I think it is some of Queen's best work. I think people only dislike it because it's style is different than that on Queen's other albums. Technically, most of the songs are very well written songs and only show just how diverse of a band Queen was.

If anything, an album like The Miracle should be on that list but to put a gem like Hot Space is crazy.

It's late, but it's time to set me free

It's late, yes I know but there's no way it has to be

Too late, so let the fire take our bodies this night

So late, so let the waters take our guilt in the t
brENsKi

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i explained my reasons...what i grew up with
the change was not to my liking

go deo na hÉireann
ksimpson1960 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 35 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like listening to all these comments, they're informative,& very interesting answers. 1st: well said brENsKi... I too was disapointed, but I just figured Queen were having internal arguments, you know, John should have a say, let John have an album,John likes horns, honestly, I thought the whole "slow thing" was johns' idea. WOW, do I miss him now

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6246 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:
Hot Space is certainly better than Wang Chung - Points On The Curve and I didn't see that one on the list.

Again, I doubt they've reviewed that, or that it went gold or platinum.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18469 posts

Posted: 06 Feb 12, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's only because records like Sheer Heart Attack and A Night At The Opera exist that Hot Space is a point for comparison.

Side 2 of Hot Space is very good, and ranks up there with some of Queen's better material. As dodgy and dated as some of the record is, there is no way it belongs on a list of the all-time worst records ever made.

It may Queen's worst record, and that's as far as it should go. But again, the filler on A Kind Of Magic might even be worse.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca