Forums > Queen - General Discussion > John Deacons character...

forum rss feed
Author

Day dop user not visiting Queenzone.com
Day dop
Bohemian: 832 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 12, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm don't want to be taken the wrong way here -

I find it a little hard to warm to John Deacon like the others as there's so little to know about him, and he never really gave anything away about himself.
He seems a decent chap and all, and he wrote some amazing tunes, top hits - and a first class bass player - goes without saying - it's just I've been a fan of Queen for years, and yet despite that, I still don't feel like I know him like the others, or at all in fact - which is strange when you've been a fan for such a long time. He seems kind of impossible to get to know - even at a distance.

Am I the only one who thinks that way? (This isn't a put down of him btw! No no no...)

LAP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 12, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasn't born to be a rock star like the others, enjoyed making millions and the comfortable lifestyle it afforded him...good luck to him I say!!

Day dop

Posted: 11 Feb 12, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't disagree with that; good luck to him.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 12, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he doesn't need you to like him. any by you i mean anyone.

my way of thinking is that people don't like you for who you are.. fuck 'em.

Also, I don't need to warm to John Deacon, just like he doesn't need to warm to me... we don't know each other.

When's the last time you had a beer with Brian and Roger?

StoneColdClassicQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
I need a haircut.
StoneColdClassicQueen
Bohemian: 775 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 12, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Man he was cool!
Just because he didn't live his life in the spotlight like a Kardashian you say you can't warm up to his character?
The cool thing about him is that he doesn't care :] and he wasn't one of those rock stars
I admire him for being so private and reserved.
Yeah I hated seeing those pics of him with those strippers but other than that I respect him just for not giving a fuck!
Good post Jimmy Dean XD I doubt Brian drinks beers (publicly)!

"When you make love to someone, use a condom."-Brian May

Paul Rodgers is Chuck Norris.
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day dop wrote:
I'm don't want to be taken the wrong way here -
I find it a little hard to warm to John Deacon like the others as there's so little to know about him, and he never really gave anything away about himself.
He seems a decent chap and all, and he wrote some amazing tunes, top hits - and a first class bass player - goes without saying - it's just I've been a fan of Queen for years, and yet despite that, I still don't feel like I know him like the others, or at all in fact - which is strange when you've been a fan for such a long time. He seems kind of impossible to get to know - even at a distance.
Am I the only one who thinks that way? (This isn't a put down of him btw! No no no...)

John visually never fit in Queen. His personality didn't fit the band either. He was a good bass player. He wrote some very good songs ("Spread Your Wings" being one of my favorite Queen tracks), but he also wrote a lot of crappy songs, particularly the funk/dance crap that influenced Queen far too much. After the "A Kind Of Magic" cd he could have easily been replaced and in some cases was replaced (by synth).

From Jim and Peter's books it appears that John abandoned Freddie when Freddie could have used his friendship the most. Pretty shitty way to treat a friend, bandmate, and business partner.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
blackshuck03 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John is a very nice chap,
I have worked in house doing his wooden flooring,
you wouldnt think he was in the biggest band ever there is nothing queen related anywhere in his home apart from 1 room

QUEEN THE LEGEND LIVES ON
Day dop

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He does seem a decent chap. Perhaps I've worded this wrong in trying to explain what I mean.

I haven't read those books, I have them in my basket on Amazon though. Could you tell a little of what happpened? I'm curious now.

Day dop

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overly defensive?

I did say "from a distance"...

MrFunster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 442 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hope to know a little more about him

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John doesn't actually HAVE a character. That's why he'll always remain the great enigma in Queen.

Day dop

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 16:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He didn't live his life in the spotlight? He was hardly hiding behind closed doors from the early 70's to when Freddie died.

And again, about the beer thing - I said from a distance.
How did anyone miss that?

Posted: 12 Feb 12, 23:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Day dop wrote:
He does seem a decent chap. Perhaps I've worded this wrong in trying to explain what I mean.
I haven't read those books, I have them in my basket on Amazon though. Could you tell a little of what happpened? I'm curious now.

Brian, Roger, Elton John, and Dave Clarke all spent time with Freddie on the days leading up to his death. Per Jim Hutton and Peter Freestone John Deacon never visited Freddie.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"John abandoned Freddie"

He was (and is) probably slightly emotionally retarded when it comes to loss because of the early death of his father. It's most likely that he simply didn't know what to do with the situation.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Day dop

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I figured that.

It's a strange one though, all the same - because he's reported to have been close to Freddie - but I can never quite imagine that. They seemed worlds apart.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 01:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there was an interview with John Deacon in the GVH II video (in the making of Breakthru video) where he said that although the band members worked closely together, they did not socialize after work or visit each other's home.

I have been told that in England you do not visit a person's home unless you are invited.

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 02:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:
"John abandoned Freddie"
He was (and is) probably slightly emotionally retarded when it comes to loss because of the early death of his father. It's most likely that he simply didn't know what to do with the situation.

Then he should have grown a pair and made sure that his dying friend knew that he cared.

I have heard rumors that John had a nervous breakdown. I don't know if this happened sometime after being told that Freddie had AIDS or after Freddie's death.

By John's behavior it appeared that he was more upset with losing his job.

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 02:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote:
I think there was an interview with John Deacon in the GVH II video (in the making of Breakthru video) where he said that although the band members worked closely together, they did not socialize after work or visit each other's home.
I have been told that in England you do not visit a person's home unless you are invited.

Brian and Roger visited Freddie at Garden Lodge before his illness and after his illness.

Brian and Roger have implied that John was really the odd man out.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol at homophobic dimwit jpf passing moral judgements on anyone

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
blackshuck03 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John did have a nervous breakdown sadly,
he has been in the priory clinic quite a few times,

He has and still is had trouble coming to terms with freddies death

QUEEN THE LEGEND LIVES ON