Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Question(s) for all those that hate Hot Space

forum rss feed
Author

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretend for a moment that its not a Queen album and that you just randomly came across the album, would you like it then? Or is it because in the fans views it goes against what you feel Queen "should" be producing in the way of music?

Lets not forget that it did pretty well in the UK Charts and it reached number 4 the same as News of the World and thats a decent album as well

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 05:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like it - I don't care if it's Queen or not. However I DO like the LIVE versions of the songs

Day dop user not visiting Queenzone.com
Day dop
Bohemian: 832 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always liked it - and always will do.
I bought it without reading any reviews - and it was never a disappointment in the slightest. Quite the opposite in fact. Those tunes are seriously catchy. Staying power, Back chat and Dancer = yes yes yes. And all the rest.  

Can you tell I listened to the album only yesterday? :-)

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like rock not 80's synth pop so I would probably despise it more without the queen name attached.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 06:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like rock not 80's synth pop so I would probably despise it more without the queen name attached.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it weren't a Queen-album, I'd never have bought it. There are three songs on it that I like, two I find o.k., and all the others either don't do anything for me, or outright annoy me.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
If it weren't a Queen-album, I'd never have bought it. There are three songs on it that I like, two I find o.k., and all the others either don't do anything for me, or outright annoy me.

100% agree. Anyone else and I would have avoided it.

The only reason I think I like anything off it is because I listened to it about a thousand times when it was released cause of how big a Queen fan I was.

Tommilaiho user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´d say that i would still dislike that album . I don´t actually hate it , because it has a couple of nice peaces in there , but in general that album is not what i want listen to.

Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 931 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't like Hot Space except Under Pressure and Put Out the Fire. The rest is black, funky gaybar music.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the songs sounded great live ,but the studio production was quite poor.Some good songs though.Freddie and John pushed Roger and Brian in a direction that they were not happy with.It certainly pushed the barriers though.

TomP63 user not visiting Queenzone.com
TomP63
Bohemian: 373 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Better ask what Roger feels about Hot Space.........
My opinion, I've been a Queen adapt since 1974, and yes of course Queen and their music went several directions over the years. But from the first album until The Game, Queen could nothing wrong. Well nothing wrong, some songs did lift an eyebrow, but then again it was Queen! But with Hot Space, mmh that's different kind of cup a tea. When I bought the album I started with the B side, this not on purpose, just my mistake. Put Out The Fire, hell what a start, but then the rest, nah, Cool Cat, even with Bowie (unreleased though) does nothing for me. Hot Space is not just a bloody record, Hot Space is Queen's biggest mistake big time. John and Freddie did Queen no justice by pushing the rest of the members to a direction theu didn't wanted. Why Queen did make Hot Space is beyond me? Because it was in them days modern music? Don't make me laugh, just stick to your guns and your believes boys. When do I like Hot Space, if the demo's are released and if the album was produced in a 'new different way'. And if they get rid of the fake bass and drums.............if that ever will happen.

Tom

Calling_all_girls user not visiting Queenzone.com
Calling_all_girls
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IMHO, if the songs were played without all the synths, drum machines, etc and played with just the guys and the natural instruments, I think it would have been such a better album.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

can't imagine why you would think that people who hate this album only do so cos it's queen.

i hate it cos i think it's a steaming festering pile of shit.

regardless of who shat it out their bottom - it's still a turd.

go deo na hÉireann
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would absolutely be intrigued...

These four white boys can make this funky record? Impressive. Who the #$$@! is John Deacon and why hasn't George Clinton called him?

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1229 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was Roger Taylor who introduced funk to a Queen album, Fun It, on Jazz.
It's funny that John and Freddie seem to be blamed for it. On The Game John wrote Another one Bites the Dust which became a huge hit. Hot Space took things further, but it is less then half the album that ventures into Disco/ Dance and one of those is a Brian May song, Dancer.

Hot Space is just Queen being Queen. It's different to the Album before it and different to what came after it, You don't have to like everything they've done. I like it more than The Works and A Kind of Magic. If you don't like it that's fare enough, but it doest make it bad.

plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also would it not take 4 peoples approval for the album to be released> If Brian and Roger did not like it then why let it go ahead?

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Suprisingly good it sounds in the documentry:)

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 554 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Suprisingly good it sounds in the documentry:)

dive2063 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 200 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this album and I don't care about crytic.
Catchy sounds, good lyrics on some songs, and, of course, great live versions (Action This Day, Back Chat)

louis.007 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hated it when it first came out, well apart from Las Palabras. I think the problem was, if anything, that it was 5 years too soon for a rock band to follow such a hard line of funk.

I now like it for what it was although was thrilled when they went back to their roots with The Works.... strange though that out of the 2, I tend to play Hot Space more?? Don't forget though that Staying Power & Under Pressure were amazing live!