Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Who has experience of the new Vox AC30 C2 amps?

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just wondering is anyone here has the new AC30C2 model?
I have been running the Fryer Treble booster through the Normal channel and it seems to overload the signal somewhat, works fine on the Top Boost Channel which actually sounds much closer to the classic Brian May tone
Anyone done this or had experience of these newer models?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did a gig with a C2X. Didn't really have a lot of time to muck around with the settings, I was pretty pleased with it though.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only "experience" I've had on the newer models is walking away from them.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It works great for me.

If you're using the treble booster, just be sure to roll off the EQ completely. I've got the top boost volume at about 8, and the tone is bang on.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
BradMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 13 Feb 12, 23:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Played it once for about 45 mins with my old Brian May signature and i was quite pleased, however.... my first real amp is going to be the AC-15 cuz i dont have money for a 30, and because its to big/loud for my 6m2 studio

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 12, 04:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:
The only "experience" I've had on the newer models is walking away from them.

You should give them a try, they are actually more flexible and robust, the addition of a master volume means you dont have to run them at max levels all the time if you want the brian tone, the clean sounds are very nice indeed if you want to hear for your guitar sounds like in a pure state.

The Vintage ones are indeed wonderful but somewhat unstable and require a lot of TLC if your going to gig them, personally I would only record with them these days as the new AC30C2 model is a good road amp plus you can practice at low levels without blowing the windows out.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 12, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pay no attention to Microwave, Togg. He was being a sarcastic smartass there, as is typical of his character.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 14 Feb 12, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Grow up, inu-liger. We're talking about guitar amps here, something you know nothing about.

The new ones just dont seem to have any gas. There's a reason they didn't have a master volume control... not just Brian but everyone played them at max level.

I think part of the reason is that everyone wants to practice with them, so we have to redesign it so you can turn it down. That, and the cheaper parts and construction just make em a far cry from what they used to be.

That said, I NEVER take my 30 out to just any gig... they are definitely not a road worthy amp after so many years.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 12, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:
Grow up, inu-liger. We're talking about guitar amps here, something you know nothing about.

Um, you do know he's a guitarist, right?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 14 Feb 12, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I've heard. That's why I said it.  What is that... a Digitech?

I've got several guitars and a couple of really sweet amps too.  So what?  Anyone that has an original knows the difference.  They just don't have the balls that the older tubes had.  I don't know if it's the speakers, I believe, to be one of the main culprits.  I'm not a tech junkie, all I know is there's nothing like this or a '65 Fender Princeton... so I saved and saved and bought em both.

As for newer amps, I really like the new amps Bogner is producing.   Very British sounding.  Also, Orange makes a pretty good combo.  Both are much superior to anything carrying the Vox name.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 12, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think they're shits....they never stand their round in the pub

go deo na hÉireann
Graeme Arnott user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg, sign up to the red special forum, they will answer all your queries, I have three c2 amps and think they are great.

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 02:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote: Grow up, inu-liger. We're talking about guitar amps here, something you know nothing about.

Oh, and what source do you have to back up your oh-so-assertive conclusive statement?

NONE. And not that I really need to, but here's where I prove you wrong once again:

Enough said.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my god, you didn't just post a picture of your Peavey Raptor and some Squier guitar did you?!?!?

Hehehe.

But back to the topic, what say you... guitarboy... do you like the amp or not?

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And a Peavey practice amp and Digitech pedal!!! Hahahahahahaha.

Never mind.  You don't need a Vox amp.. you're doing just fine there.  Your amp should be sufficient.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here's my keyboard (Nord Electro 3) which costs more than EVERYTHING in your picture about to be played in front of 40,000 people and national TV (ABC) in Dallas on New Year's Eve a 1½ months ago.  We headlined.  I think I know a little bit about amplifiers.

That's a Valley Arts Electric you can slightly see in the picture as well...  again, costs more than EVERYTHING in your picture.

Attachment: 1259152019902702.jpg 92 KB
This has been downloaded 46 time(s).

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And yet no one knows or cares who either of you are.

I don't want to speak out of turn but I guess I will anyway - the general rule of thumb is that if you've got time to post on Queenzone, then you're not all that great. As a rule it works for me and it's definitely working its arse off for the two of you. Works for Treasure Moment - works for Brian May too, if you extend the rule to 'musicians who waste time talking about retarded fucking badgers'.

Head down, tail up - just do the music thing already and stop your pissing match because it's not impressing anyone.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I'm impressed with microwave's jazz hands...

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it would be nice to get back to the topic... the newer Vox amps.  Not too sure what Inu-liger thinks about them... not too sure why we'd care.

As you might have surmised, I'm not too impressed. But c'mon, Zebonka, you gotta admit that Squier guitar picture was funny. I bought my daughter one of those about three years ago.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 15 Feb 12, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Back in the late 1980s or early 1990s (they all blur into one long decade unfortunately) I used to have a Hank Marvin Squier and it was really nice. Sounded just like a strat should. Nice action too. Not a patch on my vintage Les Paul, but still pretty good. Like an idiot I sold them both -- the Les Paul for £300, which even back in 1998 was still a bargain :(

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)