Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Which is Queen's most tragic lyrics?

forum rss feed
Author

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My vote goes to the "Mama Please Let Me Back Inside" verse of Mother Love.
I find it to be highly tragic to the extent of slightly disturbing. In the fear of death as Freddie lets go he pleads for a returning back to the womb. Back to the safety of mama to take him in again. This is heavy, very heavy stuff from a man looking directly to the abyss.


P.S. Have to add that i always thought that this line came from Freddies hand, cos it sounds extremely personal. But Brian sais in his Soapbox : "WELL, I WROTE THE LYRICS AS WE WENT ALONG, BUT I DID SO FEELING A KIND OF CLOSE EMPATHY WITH FREDDIE … I JUST KEPT CHECKING WITH HIM ….. HE KEPT NODDING AND ENCOURAGING … AND WHEN THE TAPE WAS ROLLING HE WOULD GO FOR THE LINES".(link-http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbjul06.html)



`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 19:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Are you running...are you running...are you running?"

For some reason, that bit makes me really sad, which is weird because it doesn't really mean anything in particular as far as I know. That one's good too, though; all of Mother Love is so sad.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 19:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would have to go with, and as cliche as this might be,
"Any way the wind blows," or "Nothing really matters to me."


Any way the wind blows...
waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MadTheSwine73 wrote:
I would have to go with, and as cliche as this might be,
"Any way the wind blows," or "Nothing really matters to me."

How is that tragic? Just wondering.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

waunakonor wrote:
"Are you running...are you running...are you running?"
For some reason, that bit makes me really sad, which is weird because it doesn't really mean anything in particular as far as I know. That one's good too, though; all of Mother Love is so sad.


What's that from? Confused.

I'd have to say the entirety of Nevermore hit me pretty hard the first time I listened to it. 'And now it matters not if I should live or die' from Jealousy also had a similar effect on me.

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 12, 23:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

waunakonor wrote:

MadTheSwine73 wrote:
I would have to go with, and as cliche as this might be,
"Any way the wind blows," or "Nothing really matters to me."
How is that tragic? Just wondering.

I don't know... It just moves me.


Any way the wind blows...
The Flash Danny Project user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 02:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You're all wrong.

Queen's most tragic lyric is "You've got the cutest ass I've ever seen / Knock me down for a six anytime".


Insert stupid signature here
jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 02:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Which is Queen's most tragic lyrics?

"Body Language"


"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Flash Danny Project wrote:
You're all wrong.
Queen's most tragic lyric is "You've got the cutest ass I've ever seen / Knock me down for a six anytime".


lol
So true ;)


Any way the wind blows...
malicedoom user not visiting Queenzone.com
malicedoom
Bohemian: 698 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They don't usually do sad (the last couple of albums of course being a huge exception) but, of the earlier albums, the final line of In Only Seven Days (off Jazz) would qualify for me:

"So sad... alone."


"I'd love to go down and see my pictures."
Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 937 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whatever comes out of Adam Lambert's gob when he imitates Lord Freddie of Mercury


"Give it to me one more time!"
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote: whatever comes out of Adam Lambert's gob when he imitates Lord Freddie of Mercury

*applause*


Any way the wind blows...
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

waunakonor wrote:
"Are you running...are you running...are you running?"
For some reason, that bit makes me really sad, which is weird because it doesn't really mean anything in particular as far as I know. That one's good too, though; all of Mother Love is so sad.


The "Are you running...are you running...are you running?" coming from Untitled Hidden Track of MIH album i think is also sad for the reason it is the first post-death track of Queen. It gives a subconscious texture of moving on to the other world. Its like the living asking the dead "Do you still exist is some way?" or "Are you heading for somewhere (space, universe, heaven)?"


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
plumrach user not visiting Queenzone.com
plumrach
Bohemian: 716 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Mother love where he sings

I long for peace before i die

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

malicedoom wrote:
They don't usually do sad (the last couple of albums of course being a huge exception)

really? seriosuly? think you've been listening to different albums to me then, freddie's writing is littered with "sad" in one form or another...whether it be lovelorn, tradegy, futility, he did it all

some examples from the albums you say they didn't do sad on:

liar
my fairy king
nevermore
in the lap of the gods revisited
love of my life
you take my breath away
somebody to love
my melancholy blues
jealousy
life is real
it's a hard life
keep passing the open windows



go deo na hÉireann
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

STELIOS wrote:
waunakonor wrote:
"Are you running...are you running...are you running?"
For some reason, that bit makes me really sad, which is weird because it doesn't really mean anything in particular as far as I know. That one's good too, though; all of Mother Love is so sad.

The "Are you running...are you running...are you running?" coming from Untitled Hidden Track of MIH album i think is also sad for the reason it is the first post-death track of Queen. It gives a subconscious texture of moving on to the other world. Its like the living asking the dead "Do you still exist is some way?" or "Are you heading for somewhere (space, universe, heaven)?"

i thought it did mean something very specific....Freddie was asking if the tape was running?


go deo na hÉireann
BelfastQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com


add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its not tragic but the anger in Death on Two legs

"You're a sewer rat decaying in a cesspool of pride" is a great line.

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
STELIOS wrote:
waunakonor wrote:
"Are you running...are you running...are you running?"
For some reason, that bit makes me really sad, which is weird because it doesn't really mean anything in particular as far as I know. That one's good too, though; all of Mother Love is so sad.

The "Are you running...are you running...are you running?" coming from Untitled Hidden Track of MIH album i think is also sad for the reason it is the first post-death track of Queen. It gives a subconscious texture of moving on to the other world. Its like the living asking the dead "Do you still exist is some way?" or "Are you heading for somewhere (space, universe, heaven)?"

i thought it did mean something very specific....Freddie was asking if the tape was running?

Even if the literal meaning was what you mention you think they put it in this specific track without having in mind the potential subtext or interpretation? I am not saying that my interpretation is valid.I am saying that for me it worked in that way.

P.S. Also have to say that my interpretation doesn’t work anymore. I hadn’t realized that it was Freddie’s voice on "Are you running?".pfff....


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Mar 12, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tomchristie22 wrote:
waunakonor wrote:
"Are you running...are you running...are you running?"
For some reason, that bit makes me really sad, which is weird because it doesn't really mean anything in particular as far as I know. That one's good too, though; all of Mother Love is so sad.

What's that from? Confused.
I'd have to say the entirety of Nevermore hit me pretty hard the first time I listened to it. 'And now it matters not if I should live or die' from Jealousy also had a similar effect on me.

As mentioned above, it's from the untitled track 13 of Made in Heaven, you know, the one that just goes on and on and on and on...it's kind of a pretty thing that I believe is supposed to represent the afterlife, though I don't know if "Are you running?" is as simple as what brENsKI is suggesting or if there's more backstory to it. Anyway, I kind of like it, even though it makes me kind of sad.

MadTheSwine73 wrote:
waunakonor wrote:
MadTheSwine73 wrote:
I would have to go with, and as cliche as this might be,
"Any way the wind blows," or "Nothing really matters to me."

How is that tragic? Just wondering.

I don't know... It just moves me.

Fair enough, I just wasn't really thinking along those lines.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.