Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Adam Lambert: No talk of U.S. Queen dates

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 12, 20:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Lambert says he and the members of Queen haven't discussed the possibility of playing dates in the U.S.

"It's just that one date at Sonisphere and the warm-up gig in Russia," Adam said Friday at a radio-station event in Nashville. The two acts are playing together June 30 in Moscow and July 7 in England, with Lambert filling the frontman spot left vacant by the Freddie Mercury's death in 1991.

"Maybe we'll be able to do, like, a special night somewhere here, I don't know," he said during an interview with 107.5 The River on-air personality Intern Adam. "But there's no plan. There hasn't even been talk of that, so don't get your hopes up."

Adam says he'll do a lot of rehearsing with the band before those shows. "I've got my work cut out for me," he says. "I know the songs, but I don't know them all by heart, so I'm going to have to practice. But it's going to totally fun. I'm going to learn a lot from it, I think."

Adam doesn't look at his role in the shows as replacing Mercury.

"I'm there to sing music that he and the band wrote," he says. "It's not about imitation. It's not about doing an impression. It's, like, doing it my way in a way that, in my head, he would like. And Brian (May) and Roger (Taylor) are there to give me the green light or the red light."

Nor will he being trying to mimic Mercury.

"I'm not a mimicker," he says. "I'm my own artist. But he has inspired me. Hopefully, it will come from a deep, organic place. But I'm not growing a mustache. I won't be singing the songs with a British accent. ... I don't want to disrespect his memory and his legacy by getting up there and goofing on it."

Plus, he adds, "I can't wait to find out what my outfit is."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/idolchatter/post/2012/03/adam-lambert-no-talk-of-us-queen-dates/1#.T1wP4IEgfpw

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 12, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh God...

Any way the wind blows...
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 12, 22:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please let there not be a studio CD, either.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
fr1986 user not visiting Queenzone.com
fr1986
Bohemian: 191 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i hope that never materialize, otherwise we are at the beginning of another future queen++ dvd/cd release. i beg it does not happen

e-man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 697 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they've taken the Queen brand to a new low. some us dates won't make a difference

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's hope the ones in England and Russia don't materialise! If Roger wants a vocalist what was the point of the Extravaganza, one of those what have been better than that mincing drama Queen Lambert.

"Give it to me one more time!"
Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1229 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As with Paul Rodgers, they don't want a Freddie sound alike.
So they don't need any vocalists from the Extravaganza show. Get over it. If you don't like the idea, don't go!

Scofflaw user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 40 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Brian and Roger had any integrity, they would have just packed it in back in 1991 and started their own group, and named it anything other than Queen. They have now sold out on every level: Dr. Pepper ads, Rock Band, commercials with Muppets, etc...

I'm really dreading Lambert's "interpretation" of Freddie's songs. It will probably will include a lot of horrific stylistist choices including screaming, goat vibrato, caterwauling, and riffs that just don't belong. Plus, when he gets nervous, he tends to just go off the rails altogether. Should be a train wreck.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Lambert said:
"It's just that one date at Sonisphere and the warm-up gig in Russia"

I think he meant to say warning gig.

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 17:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't understand why he would refer to the Russia gig as a warm-up. It seems pretty arbitrary to me to do a concert in Russia first. Do other groups do this?

Toon_86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 120 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeez, I just don't understand some fans. Would you prefer they didn't tour with Paul Rodgers, perhaps didn't coroborate with anyone? Who would you prefer they sing with? Bowie? George Michael? Annie Lennox? Or sit at home with a pipe and slippers? I don't always agree with the choices, but you know what, I love still seeing them live, singing the classic songs they wrote, that Freddie sang with heart and emotion, but he isn't here anymore. Its been 20+ years now, get over it. Everything needs to move on.

Give the kid a chance FFS.

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If i was going to sonisphere it would to be to see kiss and the darkness. if pr was singing id go, but not interested with lambert. bri and rog have lost the plot.

"Give it to me one more time!"
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I won't be singing the songs with a British accent

Where is he from??
--
i never noticed a STRONG british acent in Freddie´s Queen songs (maybe live, his speeches was very London-ish acent ha ha).. well i know i´m not a native speaker but i always hear how freddie said the word "Love" in a "strange" way... maybe cause he wasn´t born on england...

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
GratefulFan

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 18:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Toon_86 wrote: Jeez, I just don't understand some fans. Would you prefer they didn't tour with Paul Rodgers, perhaps didn't coroborate with anyone? Who would you prefer they sing with? Bowie? George Michael? Annie Lennox? Or sit at home with a pipe and slippers? I don't always agree with the choices, but you know what, I love still seeing them live, singing the classic songs they wrote, that Freddie sang with heart and emotion, but he isn't here anymore. Its been 20+ years now, get over it. Everything needs to move on.

Give the kid a chance FFS.

Adam Lambert is not an unknown quantity.  FFS.  He, as Paula Abdul said, "dared to dance in the path of greatness" all over television for 5 or 6 eye rolling months in 2009. He was given the glory spot on the AMAs shortly after that, where he was aurally and visually wretched. He participated in the AI tour in the same year.  He had is own tour.   He put out an album.  There are videos.  He has performed Queen material and performed with Queen twice.   What chance would you have people who simply don't like or respect his sound or his artistic choices give him?  The chance to go back to the womb and try it all over again?  What?  He'd have to be a completely different singer than he's been for any of the years for which we have a record for me to look towards these dates with anything but disappointment ranging to dread.  My favourite band is about to play a rare live show and I"m almost certainly going to feel nothing for those songs.  Can all you people with the questionable taste and questionable standards for rock and roll just let the people who are disappointed be disappointed? Really.  Enough is enough. Nobody is analyzing you.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scofflaw wrote: If Brian and Roger had any integrity, they would have just packed it in back in 1991 and started their own group, and named it anything other than Queen. They have now sold out on every level: Dr. Pepper ads, Rock Band, commercials with Muppets, etc...

I'm really dreading Lambert's "interpretation" of Freddie's songs. It will probably will include a lot of horrific stylistist choices including screaming, goat vibrato, caterwauling, and riffs that just don't belong. Plus, when he gets nervous, he tends to just go off the rails altogether. Should be a train wreck.

Yep,  he serves himself instead of the music.  IMO, YMMV, etc, etc...

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1229 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Instead of ripping Adam Laberts singing ability apart, and questioning Brian and Roger's choice and reasoning, shoulding everyone just step back and reserve judgment until the first show in Moscow. All any of us have heard or seen is an appearance on a talent show and a short, less than 10 minutes on a TV program.

A fully rehearsed two hour show might allow us a different view of his ability. Time will tell.

As far as the view that Brian and Roger should have formed a new band in 92. Well I'm guessing this new band would have been touring Queen songs, and so would have come under fire for trying to be Queen. . . .

Catch 22 maybe?

GratefulFan

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote:  Yep,  he serves himself instead of the music.  IMO, YMMV, etc, etc...

That's really well put.  It can be difficult to find the words to describe the things that are wrong or missing when there is significant technical ability and power and range and an undeniable natural gift. Can't wait to see the crackerjack sensibilities at about 3:54 in the ballad "Broken Open' applied to Love of My Life.  And for the accent people above he inexplicably elects to sound like a Babushka at about 4:05.  Should go over well in Russia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pkxo-tRR_g

GratefulFan

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Donna13 wrote: I don't understand why he would refer to the Russia gig as a warm-up. It seems pretty arbitrary to me to do a concert in Russia first. Do other groups do this?

I think it's wise and prudent.  Adam has absolutely zero experience soloing for stadium sized crowds and the only shows he's fronted for two hours thus far have largely been for adoring middle aged women at 2000 seat theatres.  This is an incredible leap of faith and an opportunity to shake his nerves off at a smaller show with somewhat less pressure can only help.  Is there some benefit to do it in Russia specifically?  Don't know, but perhaps receptive audiences and lesser media there offer some advantages.

Doga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Doga
Bohemian: 938 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do it in Russia maybe is an a idea of Brian or Roger, they feel bad for not playing in that country with Freddie (the goberment don't let).
Remember how exited they were in the first gigs of the Cosmos Tour with the gigs in Russia and Ukraine.
Oh, and the venue is the biggest indoor arena in Europe, so is not a small crowd.

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 718 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 12, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GratefulFan, we live in the same city, we share the same beliefs in Queen, if I weren't happily married I'd be asking for your hand in marriage as your intelligence is supreme :)