Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Can Brian play the blues?

forum rss feed
Author

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So I've been listening to the Starfleet Project for the first time in many moons, in particular  "Let Me Out", and "Blues Breaker". Brian has said "Electric blues is where I came from originally" and these songs are probably as close as we'll get to hear Brian playing the blues spontaneously. However, apparently Brian sent a copy of the album to Eric Clapton thinking Clapton would be flattered but in fact EC wasn't impressed by it and supposedly sent the record back. If this is true it is a bit surprising as EC is a fan of Gary Moore (he played "Still Got the Blues" in Belfast last year as a tribute to Moore) and the blues tracks on Star Fleet are similar to Gary Moore's approach. Anyway, my question is, can Brian play the blues? I'm not overly impressed with either  "Let Me Out", and "Blues Breaker" but I think "See What A Fool I've Been" and "Sleeping on the Sidewalk" are amongst his best work. "Lost Opportunity" is a bit so-so, but I've often thought that of a lot of Eric Clapton's songs. I don't think Brian's ever been that great when asked to be "spontaneous" and he produces magic only when he uses a structured approach. Views?

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
BradMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, the most scales Brian uses are the Major/Dorian scales, i think he càn play the blues, because Pentatonic is very easy, and you can get a lot of tonal variations out of it, but i just dont think he will play it.

He had some bluesy licks on Voodoo though

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think blues are very much about "feel" and your comments about structure more or less sum Brian's playing up
you only have to listen to his BR solo - not much deviation down the years...
so i'd say no he isn't and never will be a blues player - SWAFIB (much as i like it) is a pastiche and
nothing more
if Clapton did send the record back (cruel as it may have seemed) it's probably a very accurate ajudication - pretty much amounts to Simon Cowell pressing the "RED X" button
why did Brian send it to EC? i know there was graffiti round that time saying "EC is God" - but did Brian really think he'd get approval for his pseudo-blues from above?

go deo na hÉireann
Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

eric crapton most overated geetar man ever!

"Give it to me one more time!"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was probably the EVH bits that made him send it back. Christ knows I get tired of hearing it.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
MartynTS user not visiting Queenzone.com
MartynTS
Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Clapton is a "Purist"

According to him theres a specific way to play the blues. If you venture to far out of this it's not good anymore.

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 16:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There´s many ways to play blues...

is this a blues?

http://www.mediafire.com/?zpbz3x38jwcyh8w

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
Montreux user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the answer gives the Queen + Paul Rodgers track called "Voodoo" - such amazing guitar work...

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think so. Star Fleet was kinda bluesy.

Any way the wind blows...
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 14 Mar 12, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
i think blues are very much about "feel" and your comments about structure more or less sum Brian's playing up
you only have to listen to his BR solo - not much deviation down the years...
so i'd say no he isn't and never will be a blues player - SWAFIB (much as i like it) is a pastiche and
nothing more
if Clapton did send the record back (cruel as it may have seemed) it's probably a very accurate ajudication - pretty much amounts to Simon Cowell pressing the "RED X" button
why did Brian send it to EC? i know there was graffiti round that time saying "EC is God" - but did Brian really think he'd get approval for his pseudo-blues from above?

ha ha you´re cruel as damn.... but maybe you´re a bit right...
i like the Bri´s solo on some live songs like Son And daughter but yeah mainly is always the same... anyway brian have his "feel" way to play guitar... have you ever seen his strange (some womens say it´s cute) face when he´s playing? he must feel something ha ha

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
ActionFletch user not visiting Queenzone.com
ActionFletch
Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 00:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stealin' is a nice little blues number, well played by Brian.

jpf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 710 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote:
eric crapton most overated geetar man ever!

I saw EC on the "Journeyman" tour. Most boring concert ever. All of the songs sounded the same. All of the solos sounded the same.

"Every night's a party at Melina's mansion!"
BradMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw him 2 years a go on his tour with winwood, didnt like the sound of the backingband and his sound....

Óli Gneisti Sóleyjarson user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I haven't heard the "Clapton sent it back" story before. Where does it come from?

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Lost Opportunity", "Sleeping on The Sidewalk", "See what a fool I've been" & even the begining to "Last Horizon" have that Blues-y feel to them.

Joyful the sound
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

quote from Clapton back in the late 70's/ early 80's; 'I dont see myself as a really great guitarist,i mean that guy out of Queen does things i can only dream of'

Master Marathon Runner
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Word In Your Ear wrote:
"Lost Opportunity", "Sleeping on The Sidewalk", "See what a fool I've been" & even the begining to "Last Horizon" have that Blues-y feel to them.

blues-y is not blues

and SWAFIB is definitely a parody/pastiche call it what you will
much like when queen did vaudeville, rockabilly, hip-hop, funk etc....that may have actually been queen's problem
- no real identity - which explains the lack of critical acclaim

go deo na hÉireann
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I maintain that it was EVH that scared off Clapton.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

blues-y is not blues
much like when queen did vaudeville, rockabilly, hip-hop, funk etc....that may have actually been queen's problem

Bingo. Writers are generally myopic, and need to categorize you somewhere. Queen's sound was just too unique and widespread, so befuddled reviewers usually didn't know what to make of them.

In fact, most of their good reviews were on the Hot Space tour, when they did a straight-ahead rock show with big lights.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
AlbaNo1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 311 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 12, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:

blues-y is not blues

They have a sonic identity in that they usually sound like Queen no matter what style they are attempting. Lack of critical acclaim probably comes from lack of complexity of lyrics or serious subjects. The last thing critics seem to care about is the sound of the music.