Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen On Drugs

forum rss feed
Author

Biggzy10 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was any of the members into drugs? If so, who and what did they use and did they ever have addictions?

Flash Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flash Jazz
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie, recreational use of cocaine.
John and Roger probably did some too, but I'm not certain.
Quite sure that Brian didn't use any.

1sharppencil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nice question...
yeah, Freddie's cocaine habit is well documented
I'm pretty sure they all used in their Munich days - cocaine is the rich man's drug
well, Brian, perhaps not, you may be right there :)

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wasnt John a heavey drinker around '86?

MartynTS user not visiting Queenzone.com
MartynTS
Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Biggzy10 wrote:
Wasnt John a heavey drinker around '86?

He had someone who made him drinks during shows during The Magic Tour, so yes you could say that.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie also used "downers" ; think valium or other type of depressants and probably has tried everything else ("uppers") including LSD/XTC etc.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right, Freddie went through his years with the coke but I personally don't think he had an addiction to it. It seemed more recreational during his party years. After he got sick it probably fall by the wayside. He seemed to be a vodka drinker from reports we hear of. Deaky was a big drinker and if you look at stills or live footage you can see Ratty had an entire set-up near his amps fully stocked ith beer and cocktails. Roger admitted in an interview he never like marijuana so I think he was a drinker. Maybe he dabbled in coke. Brian? God knows! I'd say pot was his thing. But if you think about it, you never in their entire career heard of them going into a rehab or having or ODing. They seemed to handle that party life somewhat cautiously.

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's pretty clear they were not heavy in drugs unlike most rock bands. Good for them.

DrumBrother user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 223 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seem to remember reading an interview with Brian a few years back in which he said after his parents and Freddie died, and he had an affair, that he became addicted to perscription drugs. He went into treatment somewhere in America. Anyone else remember hearing this???

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3662 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John and Roger were smokers and I refuse to believe for one second that a rock star in the 70's or 80's didn't at least get stoned now and then. Brian.. no way, not illegal drugs anyway.

Freddie.. god knows... 70's/80's disco music scene... can't even imagine...!

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I dont consider pot to be a hard drug. Most people, not just rockstars, smoked pot in 70's and 80's.

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DrumBrother wrote:
I seem to remember reading an interview with Brian a few years back in which he said after his parents and Freddie died, and he had an affair, that he became addicted to perscription drugs. He went into treatment somewhere in America. Anyone else remember hearing this???

Yes Brian went to a clinic in Arizona but not just for his addiction.He had clinical depression and at some point he had suicidal thoughts.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Freddie Mercury. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he went to America to get out of his depression, and here he had to take some medication, but he was very much against it because of his attitude to drugs.

MartynTS user not visiting Queenzone.com
MartynTS
Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it was more of a recreational thing too. I really doubt Brian ever really did drugs.

They all looked like they were healthy through the years. Except, of course, when Freddie became ill. And Brian was skinnier (than usual) after he got out of the hospital for Hepatitis.

At least they kept drugs off of the stage. There's only been a few incidents of drunk band members :-)

Stelios

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Freddie was into XTC and poppers apart from cocaine.These drugs were a must in the gay scene of London and especially N.Y. so he must have gone the hole way.
And yes Roger said that pot was not his thing.When he first tried it he thought his head was going to explode.
Also that explains the Don't Lose Your Head lyrics. And we thought it was about Highland immortals.Nahhh...

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Stelios

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also i am not sure if Freddie used cocaine or some other drug while performing.

We know he used vodka and beer but on the Milton Keynes (or Rock Montreal)dvd Brian sais on the commentary something like "Freddie was very powerfull that day, he might was on to something" meaning somekind of drug.

Peter Freestone on the other hand denies that on his book saying he wanted to have full control.

pidge123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seem to remember reading something that Brian said he never used drugs because there was already enough going on in his head without them.

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 18:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I remember Freddie saying he didnt really enjoy using drugs. He said something on the lines "I liked to have full controll over myself". So he probably did them only to fit into the gay club scene.

But I don't believe he got high on stage. Drunk? Yes. There are several bootlegs of him drunk off his ass.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 12, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Biggzy10 wrote:
Yeah I remember Freddie saying he didnt really enjoy using drugs. He said something on the lines "I liked to have full controll over myself". So he probably did them only to fit into the gay club scene.
But I don't believe he got high on stage. Drunk? Yes. There are several bootlegs of him drunk off his ass.

I only know of two shows where he was drunk on stage: The first one is the 2nd Osaka show of 1976 (they had a party between two gigs on that day), and Auckland 1985 (Freddie got drunk with Tony Hadley and Freddie went on stage completely blitzed)!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Stelios

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 00:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The drunken Rhapsody in Osaka http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj6Tul2nH8M