Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie and vocal improvisations. A maverick ?

forum rss feed
Author

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 01:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

These days seems like another one of his trademarks but i was wondering if he was a pioneer in this kind of vocal ping-pong with the audience.
Where there artists before him experimented in the same way?


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
BradMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think he was, i dont believe there was anyone else who did it.

When was his first ever Audience improv?, 1978/79 ?

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 03:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something around that yeah, possibly NOTW. I haven't really looked for it though.

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He started with it in Japan 75 but it was much shorter and with music

BradMay user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 164 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Prophet Song, i dont count that as a vocal improvisation with the audience to be honest.

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BradMay wrote:
Prophet Song, i dont count that as a vocal improvisation with the audience to be honest.


At some point he said fuck the delay machines. Lets use the masses.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Complete and utter BS by Freddie-worshipers. Crowd interaction is as old as music itself, and call-and-response is generally accepted as the oldest structural format in music.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
Complete and utter BS by Freddie-worshipers. Crowd interaction is as old as music itself, and call-and-response is generally accepted as the oldest structural format in music.


Crowd interactions and sing alongs is one thing. But the back and forth of small melody lines delivered with a sence of climax is another.I was talking about the second.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Freddie was a pioneer. He officially was the first to get the crowd to say "de - do - de - do - da - oh".

Life has never been the same since.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

this is an example of yet another ridiculous thread. how loing before some of these utterances become uban myth and then established as fact? before making these suggestions it may be wise to use google - or even lsiten to some older bands live lps

it's rubbish to even suggest it may be the case....plant used to do this with zeppelin in the late 60s, and gillan did it as a "standard" with purple from 1972 onwards

but why don't we ignore the facts and just lets cut to the chase and accept that freddie invented everything....the lightbulb, zip fastener, microchip, radiotherapy and a few things not invented yet...how about time travel, mind reading moving at lightspeed

so, in the interests of balance i'm going to annoy you a lot now by saying that
Freddie was not a God, pioneer, inventor, maverick, or any of the other "sychophantic superlatives" used by the stepfords on QZ...he was a very promiscuous guy who died of a horrible disease but could sing a bit


go deo na hÉireann
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dezaVVEQgXQ

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
this is an example of yet another ridiculous thread. how loing before some of these utterances become uban myth and then established as fact? before making these suggestions it may be wise to use google - or even lsiten to some older bands live lps
it's rubbish to even suggest it may be the case....
plant used to do this with zeppelin in the late 60s
and gillan did it as a "standard" with purple from 1972 onwards
but why don't we ignore the facts and just lets cut to the chase and accept that freddie invented everything....the lightbulb, zip fastener, microchip, radiotherapy and a few things not invented yet...how about time travel, mind reading moving at lightspeed


Exactly how on earth do you suggest should i use google and key words with such a question? No way.
By the way if i type live vocal improvisation the five first results i get from google is videos from Freddie and Queen doing the ire-re-re-ro stuff.

Oh, and he did invent radiotherapy :-)



`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nicely sidestepped my suggestion to "listen to some older bands live lps"

i used keywords like "audience participation" "rock" and "gigs" and "history"

one reference to the monterrey pop festival 1967 cites Otis Redding's set as involving audience participation


go deo na hÉireann
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Mercury invented the light sabre, caused the extinction of Australia's megafauna, was the world's first Zoroastrian opera singer, set dogs and cats against eachother, was the second gay man on the moon and has two degrees in astrophysics. However, he did not invent audience participation.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
Complete and utter BS by Freddie-worshipers. Crowd interaction is as old as music itself, and call-and-response is generally accepted as the oldest structural format in music.

And that should be the end of the thread.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
nicely sidestepped my suggestion to "listen to some older bands live lps"
i used keywords like "audience participation" "rock" and "gigs" and "history"
one reference to the monterrey pop festival 1967 cites Otis Redding's set as involving audience participation


brENsKi come on. You know that this thread was not refearing to audience participation.
It was all about the vocal ping-pong we all understand as a very Freddie thing.
And its not a huge invention but it played its role in the completion of Queen live = pure electricity and manipulation of the masses(in a good way)


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are all dicks.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

STELIOS wrote:
brENsKi wrote:
nicely sidestepped my suggestion to "listen to some older bands live lps"
i used keywords like "audience participation" "rock" and "gigs" and "history"
one reference to the monterrey pop festival 1967 cites Otis Redding's set as involving audience participation

brENsKi come on. You know that this thread was not refearing to audience participation.
It was all about the vocal ping-pong we all understand as a very Freddie thing.
And its not a huge invention but it played its role in the completion of Queen live = pure electricity and manipulation of the masses(in a good way)

i know exactly what you meant
the point i was making is that if you ever bothered to listen to some other bands live albums or bootlegs you'd hear loads of "vocal ping-pong" as you call it - going back well before queen....
try doing some research yourself before trying to establish a fiction as fact
ffs - even bloody kiss indulged in a bit of this stuff before freddie


go deo na hÉireann
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Trying to establish a fiction as fact"? Nope.This thread had a question mark after the word maverick. Bother to read it carefully.



`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Mar 12, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when i say "And its not a huge invention but it played..." means it wasnt huge and apparently it wasnt an invention.It just something done with great charisma so perhaps stepped voc.improvisations to a next level.


`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````