Forums > Fan mixes > Somebody to Love (less is more edit) /Smeagol

forum rss feed
Author

smeagolheart user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Mar 12, 19:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A remix of Someone to Love with less backing vocals that really allows Freddie's lead vocals to steal the show. There were literally some lines of his that I couldn't really make out underneath the layers of harmonies that sound amazing just listen and you'll see what I mean. The backing vocal's aren't completely gone, just the beard has been shaved to a mustache to use an analogy. Enjoy and let me know if you like it in the comments.

Attachment: 125129328928575.mp3 11 MB
This has been downloaded 29 time(s).


stuyvesant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 12, 09:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I get so tired of this song but what you did was great i like it!

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 12, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

quick observation:
when i load the multitrack stems of this song into audacity it come sit a 4:58 your "remix" comes in at exactly 4:54
you've added/remixed very little
1. it appears you've deleted "backingvocals1" and "backingvocals2"
2. cut the 2 seconds silence from the beginning and end from the multis et voila 4:54
3. done yet another mixdown
4. got your friend to post how great your "remixes" are in every new thread you start
please stop this, it's not remixing


go deo na hÉireann
smeagolheart user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 12, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow brENski harsh words. I made a unique version of the song not available elsewhere that some people evidently enjoy, so what exactly is the problem? I have difficulty understanding your position. What do you object to exactly? I did use a lossy format like every other post in these forums. Is it that I didn't use enough technical wizardry in my remix? I think you can't enjoy a painting you because you would get stuck analyzing the paint and miss out on the big picture. Are you the kind of person who can listen to a guitar chord and then get really upset if you hear the sound again because you can guess how the sound is made? I label my threads with my name so please feel free to skip all of them and wait for another artist to post their work, I hope you can enjoy their work better as a Queen fan.

stuyvesant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 12, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I enjoy coming to Queenzone and listening to the Fans Mixes. I especially love the new 'Long Away' Mix @brENski is it possible that you might be Bitter about something? Lifes too Short!

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 12, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Factually, Brenski is correct. It's not really a 'remix' when all you've done is removed one or two elements. That said, for anyone who hasn't got the stems, I guess it would be interesting to hear the lead vocals more clearly. Why did you cut the last piano note off the end, though? That seems a bit pointless to me.

I haven't listened to your Play The Game, as there's no need to, really. I've done the same myself with the synths, and it took 2 minutes. These things are OK to hear once, but there are people here who spend hours just on a few seconds of one mix, trying to get it just right, so don't expect too much in the way of high accolades for the sort of thing you're doing here.


Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 12, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thanks LF
i don't get why people expect glowing praise for loading stems and removing elements

@smeagolheart: re your " I think you can't enjoy a painting you because you would get stuck analyzing the paint and miss out on the big picture" comment
i enjoy lots of pictures/paintings. but your's isn't really a painting, it's a photocopy and nothing more. and it's very very hard to appreciate a photocopy if you've actually seen the original painting.



go deo na hÉireann
smeagolheart user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Apr 12, 21:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi let's hear what you have and I'll let you know if I enjoy it or not. I'm not expecting to be named top remixer of 2012 or a get a new car or anything haha I'm not selling this. I just like my mix and hope others do as well. This is out there and if you enjoy it great. Ok so it's easy for some people, well I don't see it out there anywhere else. It's easy to make an E chord on a guitar too so what it sounds good, would you make fun of Brian May because it's easy? Sometimes meat and potatoes or basic stuff is enjoyable and people like it. Personally, I don't like the distraction of the backing vocals throughout the song. I didn't remove them completely because I do like them in the chorus and certain parts are left in because they add to the song in my humble opionion.

Kacio user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kacio
Bohemian: 753 posts
add to buddy list send PM

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Apr 12, 11:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smeagolheart wrote:
brENsKi let's hear what you have and I'll let you know if I enjoy it or not.
no. i won't. i have done things myself in the past. but not on here. i have done my own christmas mashup and one or two other things. i acutally got about 90% thru a "dog with a bone" mashup about three/four years ago. but despite feeling it was ok, i definitely didn't feel it good enough to share on here. i know my limits. i certainly wouldn't have the temerity to attempt to pass off "muting a couple of audio tracks from stems" as remixing. but whatever you say, my ear is very good and i know when something has been remixed or just silenced in places - and i have a perfect right to highlight to anyone on this "alleged" forum of free speech when something is not what it pertains to be or even if i just don't like it. so don't think you can goad me on the basis of some pointless challenge.
smeagolheart wrote:I'm not expecting to be named top remixer of 2012 or a get a new car or anything haha I'm not selling this.
you can't be named "top remixer" unless you do some actual remixes. these are not remixes
smeagolheart wrote:I just like my mix and hope others do as well. This is out there and if you enjoy it great. Ok so it's easy for some people, well I don't see it out there anywhere else.
you can like your "mix" all you like. but stop deluding yourself it's not a mix or remix.
smeagolheart wrote:It's easy to make an E chord on a guitar too so what it sounds good, would you make fun of Brian May because it's easy?.
i'm no sychophant. if he makes shit (a la the cosmos rocks) i say so, but his dalliance into shitdom with that album is the only way you should be comparing yourself with him, because otherwise he appears extremely talented, and there's been no evidence (as yet) of yours.

ps - i do comment on the mixes i like - have a look in the fan mixes section - you'll see - if somehing is good enough (imo) for me to keep i will say so, if it's ok i i probably wont say a thing, and if it's bad (or worse) i will say so too

good luck in your future "remixes" - pmsl




go deo na hÉireann
smeagolheart user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Apr 12, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it's not a mix then what is it? Because it's not the original song. You should put stuff out there as I have because someone might like it. Nothing is perfect, but you can have the strength to add to the community. You can create a mix and edit and edit and edit and still not quite like something. Just put it out there and learn from the experience and besides someone might actually like it and they will have gained something.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Apr 12, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

smeagolheart wrote:
If it's not a mix then what is it? Because it's not the original song.

re·mix (r-mks) tr.v. re·mixed, re·mix·ing, re·mix·es
To recombine (audio tracks or channels from a recording) to produce a new or modified audio recording: remixed a popular ballad and turned it into a dance hit.

you didn't do that. you simply removed one track

smeagolheart wrote:
You should put stuff out there as I have because someone might like it. Nothing is perfect, but you can have the strength to add to the community. You can create a mix and edit and edit and edit and still not quite like something. Just put it out there and learn from the experience and besides someone might actually like it and they will have gained something.

why would i put out stuff I AM NOT happy with? that makes no sense. you don't just stick stuff out there for the sake of it. how does that enhance anything?


go deo na hÉireann
smeagolheart user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 12, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you do understand or are beginning to. Also it's not the original song, it is new. Or at least a modified audio recording from your definition, or are you saying it's not new or not modified? Anyway you can drop it because I'm calling them edits, it's only a word. I thought I made the point that nothing is ever perfect. Time doesn't stand still so how can anything be perfect it will be different tommorow or in a year, a new car gets old a person gets old and their body starts hurting in ways it didn't before. If Brian May heard some of his stuff from the 70s today he would not think "I nailed it there, there's nothing I would change" no he'd find fault like "I should have changed keys here or bent that note a little more. I can hear my fingers scratching the fretboard there I wish they had the audio equipment today back then". It's the nature of growing, living for people like you and me, we hear or see something and we feel it'd be better if x or y. It's a always a moving target. We hear that same track and think it sounds great, we don't find the little faults. So you can sit on your arse and complain or you can try and contribute, whatever it is you can do. The only way to get better is to try at all. Some people might actually like it as it is. Take a chance, take a risk. Also off topic look at the Star Wars remasters, the originals were great but George Lucas felt he had to change something and it turned into a hot mess with really mixed results, I'm sure you've heard change for the sake of change is not something good.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 12, 02:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and don't tell me to drop it. i have every right to pass comment on your upload(s)
and don't compare what you do to what brian may does - or goerge lucas for that matter.

the key point in all of this is that i was right - and you haven't denied it. all you did was mute one audio track. and all that takes is less time than it takes to load up windows from cold.

you'd be better off actually spending the time you do defending your (ahem) remixes) on doing an actual real remix. good luck

btw - am now disengaging myself from this thread because i DO comment on what i think are good and bad remixes - and i say why i think it. pity is one of this sites most respected mixers said the same thing about your "mix" - but still you disregard the validity of the point made, because you'd rather accept the fawning praise of sychophants who love anything queen, and probably get a thrill out of opening a bag of M&Ms and seeing loads of extra blue ones

one final ps - it's "somebody to love" not "someone to love" what have you been listening to?


go deo na hÉireann