Forums > Personal > What do you think of Messi?

forum rss feed
Author

Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 937 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Apr 12, 23:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you think of Messi?

In My opinion is one of the best ever with Maradona , Garrincha , Pelè and Ronaldinho

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 12, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never heard of him/her

ActionFletch user not visiting Queenzone.com
ActionFletch
Champion: 57 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 12, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I prefer Ronaldo for sheer unstoppable entertainment. Messi has the added bonus of the best midfielders in the world surrounding him, but there's no doubt his team effectiveness outshines Christiano - however - just like Ronaldo's last two years at Man Utd, it seems like this year he is (almost) single handedly winning La Liga for Real Madrid!
For Ronaldo to win the Ballon award Real must win La Liga AND the Champions League - either loss and the award will go to Messi, again!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 12, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Messi is the best football player ever. Maybe Maradonna was a slightly better technical player but Messi is the better team player and better athlete, he is less of a diva and he always delivers. Ronaldo is almost as good but I would still vote for Messi who has been elected world footballer of the year for 3 years in a row for very good reasons. Ronaldo is an excellent technical player but he does not have quite the determination Messi has who is also a real fighter imo. You see the deficits of Ronaldo when he plays with the Portuguese national team instead of Real where is is surrounded by the best possible players in Europe. Messi should be world champion with the Spanish team but I have a lot of respect for the fact that he chose to play for his native country.

I do not want any google ads here.

The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz

Posted: 15 Apr 12, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote: I think Messi is the best football player ever. Maybe Maradonna was a slightly better technical player but Messi is the better team player and better athlete, he is less of a diva and he always delivers. Ronaldo is almost as good but I would still vote for Messi who has been elected world footballer of the year for 3 years in a row for very good reasons. Ronaldo is an excellent technical player but he does not have quite the determination Messi has who is also a real fighter imo. You see the deficits of Ronaldo when he plays with the Portuguese national team instead of Real where is is surrounded by the best possible players in Europe. Messi should be world champion with the Spanish team but I have a lot of respect for the fact that he chose to play for his native country.

Yes, I agree completely

The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz

Posted: 15 Apr 12, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hopefully that will give us the title in brazil 2014!

I'm Argentine and I'm proud of Messi , Maradona and Batistuta , The best that Argentina has in the history.

The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz

Posted: 15 Apr 12, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote: Never heard of him/her

Perhaps you are ignorant or is Madridist lol :)

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After reading some posts I don't think anymore that Messy and Messiah are the same person. No seriously, is it some football player ?

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messi is the best player in the world right now. Maradonna the best player ever.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

he's better than Kiss (football and musically)
but then that's not exactly mission impossible, is it?

go deo na hÉireann
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When he does something with the Argentine National Team, like Baggio did with Italy, Maradonna with Argentina, Pele with Brasil, Romario with Brasil, Beckenbahuer with Germany, then ask the question again.

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
brENsKi

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i remember a quote from last season (it may have been a misquote at the time) but it was still funny and sums up the whole Ronaldo/Messi comparison succinctly:

when asked about his skills Ronaldo replied:
"i was sent by God to teach people the beautiful game"

when asked abut this quote Messi is supposed to have replied:
"well, i don't remember sending him"

go deo na hÉireann
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Best ever? Impossible to say. The best judge of a player in any era is how much he stands out from his peers. You cannot judge a player based on how many trophys he won. George Best won some honours with Man Utd but never went to the World Cup with Northern Ireland, for example. In my lifetime the players that really stood out were Pele, Maradona and Best. No one could get the ball off them, and they were frequently marked by 2-3 players. Best and Pele played in an era when defenders could continually kick and foul skillful players and that was tolerated. For that reason, if they were still playing today they might be even more amazing because they would be protected as Ronaldo and Messi (mostly) are.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's terrible that I have to do this, but:
This is *not* an attempt at a cheap blow, it's an *honest* question -
What is it that people see in football (or any other 'spectator sport' for that matter)? I mean, I don't like playing football myself, but I could imagine that others enjoy playing the game. However, I just can't wrap my head around the pleasure many people seem to get from *watching* others they don't even know play a game. Can anyone explain this to me?

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1581 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of interest is fuelled by betting.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
It's terrible that I have to do this, but:
This is *not* an attempt at a cheap blow, it's an *honest* question -
What is it that people see in football (or any other 'spectator sport' for that matter)? I mean, I don't like playing football myself, but I could imagine that others enjoy playing the game. However, I just can't wrap my head around the pleasure many people seem to get from *watching* others they don't even know play a game. Can anyone explain this to me?

Watch either of these videos. If these don't show you the attraction of football then words never will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WUiu_RbENA

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

greaserkat wrote: When he does something with the Argentine National Team, like Baggio did with Italy, Maradonna with Argentina, Pele with Brasil, Romario with Brasil, Beckenbahuer with Germany, then ask the question again.

And Garrincha in Brasil (World Cup 1958 , 1962)

good answer!

brENsKi

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcc wrote:
A lot of interest is fuelled by betting.

i don't think that's the predominant aspect of why. it maybe for home/pub viewers - but not the fans who go to live games.

i think there,s more to do with the Roman colleseum origins of "spectator sport". civilised society requires entertainment
1. it keeps the masses engaged
2. it takes some of their money back off them

organised football is (i believe a british working class invention - the working classes needed soemthing to do, so clubs were formed, following from that mounds (kops) were built for people to stand and watch from - (kop comes from Spion Kop, a battle site from the boer war)

anyhow, most of the origins came from this. if you look at most british (football terraces - as was) - they rose about 1906 - the year of the battle. stadia are a new thing. crowds grew from a few dozen initally and some form of covered terrace was required.

apols if i rambled a bit

go deo na hÉireann
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote: Watch either of these videos. If these don't show you the attraction of football then words never will.

Those were great clips.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

@Thomas

Varying levels of investment and different motivations of course, some of which are relatively uncomplicated. It's simple entertainment at one level, distraction from the mundane, and there is pleasure in depth of knowledge in anything, the history and the in and outs of a sport no exception.   But perhaps the most powerful thing is the way in which it ties people to things.  Sometimes from very early on to parents, often fathers, or older siblings, and later on to friends and places and the wider culture.  Once you accept a team as a proxy of sorts for people or things or places that you love, or qualities that you value like loyalty or perseverance or grit for example, a game or championship easily becomes a moving narrative whose appeal would need no explanation in another context.  Hard work well rewarded, bad behaviour avenged, triumph thwarted, delayed or realized, David and Goliath stories, emotions of the players reflected and absorbed by fans in both success and failure. Sometimes just the simple joy in happiness for the achievement of others. All shared with thousands of people who feel the same way, often in one very special place or moment in time.  Every time I see Sidney Crosby's OT goal in the 2010 Olympic hockey final it makes me tear up. And I've probably seen it 50 times. I know the whole sequence by heart, I know what's coming, and it still get me every time.