Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What was the most *groundbreaking* tour?

forum rss feed
Author

micromusic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't just mean your favorite, but in terms of going beyond conventional music performance; turning it into an experience. Staging, visuals, lighting, theatrics etc.

Would be interested to hear some opinions.

:o)

craigob11 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy tour...by far the best. true rock & roll performances, getting back in touch with fans! loud, fast, raucous, fantastic lighting , hot & sweaty as a concert should be,saw them at manchester apollo..truly superb !!! will never forget it.

Planetgurl user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTW dates and the Crown lighting rig. Did a longer set than usual too...

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

craigob11 wrote:
Crazy tour...by far the best. true rock & roll performances, getting back in touch with fans! loud, fast, raucous, fantastic lighting , hot & sweaty as a concert should be,saw them at manchester apollo..truly superb !!! will never forget it.

100% agree. i had been working for one month, and my first gig since starting work - was at the new NEC, birmingham (nov 79)...amazing - think it was a record indoor UK attendance at that time - just remember it being massive compared to the pub/club gigs i'd been to

have been to some gigs since that rivalled it for power and "leaving an impression"

go deo na hÉireann
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18458 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think some may say the US Hot Space tour.

After the album bombed, the boys kicked things up a notch. The lighting show was spectacular, they sounded heavier than ever, Brian played a flying V and had the "cool" factor, and most importantly - they consistently got good reviews.

If you asked the band, they'd probably say the Magic tour. They poured so much money into their show year after year, always growing it in one way or another, and almost always took a loss. This was the one time they actually made a profit on the road.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Toon_86 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hot Space tour, which cemented their status as a stadium rock band. Ok, the album wasn't the best, but they were at the top of the game live, which really showed in the Hot Space tracks live.

junketerQ2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 152 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally would have thought the South American tour would have been the most "groundbreaking" tour as far as breaking in new territory & audiences. They were also at the peak of their live performances at this time for me.

As far as non-Queen tours go it would have to be U2's Zoo TV tour which takes the cake. It was so far ahead of anything else at the time.

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 18:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say anything between '78 and '82.

Any way the wind blows...
tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1567 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 12, 22:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say The Works tour because the ground shook after they played the sun city gigs :-)

Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1195 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 06:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NOTW tour. Great set list and crown lighting rig
Jazz and Crazy Tour. As a live act they were at a peak, and again great lighting rig!
South America was a truly ground breaking tour in terms of the countries and the size of the venues.
The Hot Space tour, again they were very much on top of their game, but was it really ground breaking?

Holly2003 user is on Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4680 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
NOTW tour. Great set list and crown lighting rig
Jazz and Crazy Tour. As a live act they were at a peak, and again great lighting rig!
South America was a truly ground breaking tour in terms of the countries and the size of the venues.
The Hot Space tour, again they were very much on top of their game, but was it really ground breaking?

That seems about right. They had a number of live transitions in their career, from pubs/clubs to the Hammersmith Odeon, from small-medium sized arenas to Hyde Park and the arena tours in the USA. Brian said getting to play Madison Square Garden generated a real sense of achievement. It was the S. American tour that shifted them semi-permanently from indoor to outdoor arenas. On the musical side, incorporating acoustic songs seems to have been a big moment for them -- a new way to connect with the audience and add a new dynamic to the show. And they had to change their set in the 1980s to include more anthemic songs for massive outdoor audiences. So most groundbreaking? I'd have to say the S. American shows. Great fans, huge audiences, and a real buzz.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18458 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed - in the end, their most groundbreaking tour was South America 1981. Queen were the first major rock band to play there.

It was kind of like the Beatles in America in 1984. TV programs would be interrupted with updates on Queen sightings in the city. 9 of the top 10 albums in the Argentinian album chart were Queen albums. Such a thing hasn't happened anywhere in the world since.

This picture really says it all, taken moments before Queen took to the stage for their first gig on the continent. One can only imagine the excitement in the crowd -
http://www.queenlive.ca/queen/live%20pics/81-02-28_Buenos%20Aires_01.jpg

(edit: of course I meant 1964!)

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 936 posts

MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Indeed - in the end, their most groundbreaking tour was South America 1981. Queen were the first major rock band to play there.
It was kind of like the Beatles in America in 1984. TV programs would be interrupted with updates on Queen sightings in the city. 9 of the top 10 albums in the Argentinian album chart were Queen albums. Such a thing hasn't happened anywhere in the world since.
This picture really says it all, taken moments before Queen took to the stage for their first gig on the continent. One can only imagine the excitement in the crowd -
-------------
Like the beatles in "America" in 1964 but it isn´t the point, as argentinian i must say you´re right it was all a "groundquake" here, even with a terrible dictatorship...
I think when the audicence start to sing Love Of My Life in english it was a "shock"... you can ever hear the --maybe annoying-- moved and excited words of the radio/tv commentator (who is with the mic in the image that you have posted)

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
jeffuk49 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 432 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The cosmos rocks

Leonardo Venegas user not visiting Queenzone.com
Leonardo Venegas
Bohemian: 625 posts

Posted: 18 Apr 12, 15:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
(edit: of course I meant 1964!)

What a fantastic picture, never seen it before!!!

Please will you direct me in the right way?
Queenman!! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenman!!
Bohemian: 929 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 12, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Peter Hince quoted that he personally loved the Works tour; favoutite lightrig, best overal stage sound. I like the Crazytour

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us feel like we could fly!
Flash Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flash Jazz
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 12, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

South America 81