Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Best Death On Two Legs From the 1980 Game Tour

forum rss feed
Author

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 12, 03:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since I'm in a Game Tour mode right now, here's another question for everybody: What do you think is the best performance of DOTL from the 1980 Game Tour? I consider the versions from that tour to be the best versions in the "medley" form: You got Freddie's awesome piano introductions, and he delivers it very well vocally!

Fun Fact: The 1980-1981 versions are the only times Freddie hits both Bb4s on the verses on some versions (All my money, and fools of the first division)!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
masterstroke_84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 12, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say Chicago 80 & Buenos Aires 81 (first show)




Queen rocks!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 12, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oakland, hands down.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 12, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Oakland, hands down.

Oh yes, that performance is pure magic...
As is his peformance of Need your lovin tonight:-)




on my way up
Zodiacal_light user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 118 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 12, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As the real wizard says, without doubt.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 12, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can only answer this question if you have actually ever heard (attended) every gig from that tour. Some gigs have been professionally recorded and others are shitty mono fan recordings that are 100 million generation copies which by definition are distorted and offer no real experience of the gig.

Gregsynth.. which of the 1980 tour gigs that you attended was the best?



horse feathers user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 185 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 12, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

100% spot on, Mooghead. This guy makes me piss, never been to a Queen gig in his life. Then ridicules Freddie's live voice. I went to the Leeds Gig in 82, then the all the four origional gigs they did in 84 before they added the extra dates. Then I went to Manchester, my home town, in 86.
Sound wise the Leeds gig was incredible, but I was about 20 foot away from the stage. But the best tour I went on was the 'Queenworks' tour. Lighting, stage and choice of songs was incredible. This is the tour that Greg ridicules in his radio forums, cos he is a pretentious prick. The 86 gig at Manchester, was crap though.


paul wakefield
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Apr 12, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh come on now. Gregsynth is neither pretentious nor a prick. He loves Freddie. He just really enjoys seeking and debating specifics of the live work, and I'm sure many appreciate his channel and his efforts. He'd be the first to acknowledge that much is subjective. And the very best thing about Greg is that he always talks in exclamation marks! Always! They're very cheerful! And I like them! :)

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 12, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

horse feathers wrote:
100% spot on, Mooghead. This guy makes me piss, never been to a Queen gig in his life. Then ridicules Freddie's live voice. I went to the Leeds Gig in 82, then the all the four origional gigs they did in 84 before they added the extra dates. Then I went to Manchester, my home town, in 86.
Sound wise the Leeds gig was incredible, but I was about 20 foot away from the stage. But the best tour I went on was the 'Queenworks' tour. Lighting, stage and choice of songs was incredible. This is the tour that Greg ridicules in his radio forums, cos he is a pretentious prick. The 86 gig at Manchester, was crap though.

Greg has really got a clue of what he's talking about.

That's so "sweet" of you to go on here and blame him for being a prick...


"I really feel like being evil tonight."
12yrslouetta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 12, 16:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with both mooghead and horse feathers, not the abusive bit though. ive seen many many queen gigs and leeds was fantastic, but the works tour was just superb. the lighting, and the sound quality and the overall feel was a huge step up from all the other gigs that id been to. it was massive. And one thing that isnt mentioned is that live isnt about hitting high notes or replicating whats on the record, its about connecting with the audience. You can listen to all the tapes and bootlegs you want but it doesnt represent what was really going on. Let me say though that Greg seems like a really nice guy and giving us access to his stuff is brilliant. Just keep doing what youre doing Gregsynth

Bad Seed user not visiting Queenzone.com
Bad Seed
Bohemian: 520 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Apr 12, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's interesting to hear this from people who were there at the time. Peter 'Ratty' Hince mentions The Works as being the best tour in his book. He also said the Magic Tour was the worst.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 May 12, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



12yrslouetta wrote: I agree with both mooghead and horse feathers, not the abusive bit though. ive seen many many queen gigs and leeds was fantastic, but the works tour was just superb. the lighting, and the sound quality and the overall feel was a huge step up from all the other gigs that id been to. it was massive. And one thing that isnt mentioned is that live isnt about hitting high notes or replicating whats on the record, its about connecting with the audience. You can listen to all the tapes and bootlegs you want but it doesnt represent what was really going on. Let me say though that Greg seems like a really nice guy and giving us access to his stuff is brilliant. Just keep doing what youre doing Gregsynth

===========

Thanks! I just like uploading shows because I want people to listen to Queen's live music! I take no credit for the actual recordings (since I got them from Queenzone--and without generous tapers, I wouldn't be able to listen to them)!

I personally don't think any Queen tour was terrible or bad, but I do think there's tours that are better than others! I think the Works Tour was the weakest in terms of the music/song arrangements, but I don't think it's bad! You are right that live music isn't about hitting the high notes/replicating the studio versions (which is why I love Queen), but on some Works Tour shows, Freddie doesn't sound good at all singing (not because he wasn't hitting notes, but his vocal shape was often weak, and often cracked/squawked out notes)! If I was at one of the shows, I wouldn't notice that stuff (I'd be too busy having fun and enjoying the atmosphere, his stage performances, and the music), but when you listen to the actual recordings of shows, it can throw you for a loop!

I do agree that the stage set-up, and the lighting was awesome for the Works Tour!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 12, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



mooghead wrote: You can only answer this question if you have actually ever heard (attended) every gig from that tour. Some gigs have been professionally recorded and others are shitty mono fan recordings that are 100 million generation copies which by definition are distorted and offer no real experience of the gig.

Gregsynth.. which of the 1980 tour gigs that you attended was the best?

=========

I saw Queen In Detroit on the Game Tour. I don't have an audio recording unfortunately (my tape got destroyed at the show), but I remember Freddie stopping Love Of My Life because the audience drowned out Brian's guitar! It was a crazy night!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
1sharppencil user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 12, 04:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the piano intro on the oakland show is f*cking amazing...