Forums > Queen - General Discussion > For Michael Allred and Q + AL fans

forum rss feed
Author

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 May 12, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There has been a lot of trash going back and forth (for years to be honest) about what Queen is doing in the past 10 to 15 years. There are certain forum members whose opinions I respect who seem to be diametrically opposed to a lot of people who don't see Brian and Roger plus Adam Lambert as anything but a glory grab with today's flavour of the day. Michael Allred in particular has been particularly vocal about people who don't share his passion for what is going on with Adam Lambert's involvement. So, without bias or comment, I'd love to hear from Michael and others one thing, and I will reply after:

What exactly are we missing by not being on board with this collaboration?

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 12, 13:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

allred is a prick...



"Give it to me one more time!"
Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 12, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote:
allred is a prick...


So is your mother but do I make an issue out of it? No.

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 12, 14:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Brass Neck wrote:
There has been a lot of trash going back and forth (for years to be honest) about what Queen is doing in the past 10 to 15 years. There are certain forum members whose opinions I respect who seem to be diametrically opposed to a lot of people who don't see Brian and Roger plus Adam Lambert as anything but a glory grab with today's flavour of the day. Michael Allred in particular has been particularly vocal about people who don't share his passion for what is going on with Adam Lambert's involvement. So, without bias or comment, I'd love to hear from Michael and others one thing, and I will reply after:
What exactly are we missing by not being on board with this collaboration?


You seem to confuse "complete, slobbering support" with just going with the flow and not being so god damn negative about EVERYTHING and that's what you and several others on here so, bitch about EVERYTHING over and over again.

It's not a "passion" for what's currently going on, I'm just not personally insulted by what two guys are doing with another guy that has absolutely no impact on my life what so ever. It's just music, that's all yet some of you act as if your lives are being forever changed for the worse.

I thought the Pepsi commercial was ridiculous, the musical is a total joke, the Queen's jubilee cringeworthy, etc but my god, do you see me posting again and again about it for months on end? Throwing around insults and accusations at the band for some reason? You embarrass yourselves with this behavior. There has been nothing constructive in any of it. "Brian May is a moneygrubbing whore!" "Roger Taylor is a pathetic old man!" and blah blah blah. Blindly attacking like some rage fueled children who feel entitled to everything does nothing but make the band and it's management ignore you completely.

As to your question Brass Neck, what are you missing out on? Why even ask it in the first place? Your mind has been completely shut off from it, you made your decisions based upon two quickly thrown together TV performances and the snobbish view that the singer, who rose to fame thanks to television, was never worthy to begin with so frankly, I don't have an answer that's even worth my time to type out because it will be dismissed and ignored.

My only suggestion however is this, stop taking things so bloody serious. You might actually have some fun from time to time.

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 12, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Allred, the cut and paste dickhead who rates Lambert! Lambert didnt even know May's name ffs. He deserves a slating. Jeff Scott Soto or Paul Rodgers have already fronted 'Queen' post Fred and did well. I do agree about pepsi but 5ive and robbie williams are just as bad and dappy! Brian and Roger have lost their dignity in the eyes of the rock community, its very sad. They are NOT ABOVE criticism and deserve the flak from many long time fans for this perceived pissing on the legacy by trying to be popular. im feel lucky to have seen Queen with Fred twice and PR twice. Now I wouldn't pay a penny to see this latest embarassment.


"Give it to me one more time!"
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 12, 19:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To each their own. What are you missing by not being on board with this collaboration? Well, just the opportunity of seeing two of your fave musicians in what could be their last live performances.
With a douche, yes, but still Brian and Roger would be worth the ticket, don't you think?

It's Q+Paul all over again. I remember people being very vocal about "not supporting" and even "boycotting" those shows only to regret years later in these very same forums.

It's Ok to like it. It's Ok not like it. Fuck off!

Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 May 12, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Michael, thank you for answering, and I'll try to respond to your comments in my usual calm, brilliant, intelligent way :)


"You seem to confuse "complete, slobbering support" with just going with the flow and not being so god damn negative about EVERYTHING and that's what you and several others on here so, bitch about EVERYTHING over and over again."


That is an uninformed comment and ridiculous. I believe Queen at their best are artists in the company of The Beatles, Picasso, and the world's great film makers. So I am not bitching about EVERYTHING, maybe everything CURRENT as I believe as artists that today they are closer to the Starving Artists who plagarize other artists great works.


"It's not a "passion" for what's currently going on, I'm just not personally insulted by what two guys are doing with another guy that has absolutely no impact on my life what so ever."


Either am I, but you have decided I am, which is not true. I don't see the point of it, that is a huge stretch to say "I" am personally insulted. You are putitng words in MY mouth.


"I thought the Pepsi commercial was ridiculous, the musical is a total joke, the Queen's jubilee cringeworthy, etc but my god, do you see me posting again and again about it for months on end?"


Nope, and good for you. So your issue isn't with the fact that I and others think the AL collaboration is a joke, it's that we post about it. Should we call you about being positive for something that a lot of people think is blasphemy?


"As to your question Brass Neck, what are you missing out on? Why even ask it in the first place?"


Because you are going after people in a confrontational manner who don't agree with you. You've told people to keep polishing their Freddie statues and keep living in the past because they don't like the Q +AL idea. Which is ironically why I am so opposed to the whole idea of what Queen is doing, because it's you Michael, are living in the past. Nothing here is new except the singer, who I feel has a fine voice. He is not a rock singer, iMHO, he's Broadway so I don't think it works. You've decided that people who don't like AL are dinosaurs. I'd like to see B + R work with the guy form Keane, or even a true talent like Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy.

I have as much or more knowledge about the band than anyone on this forum which means SFA. I've never said my experience as having seen Queen in the 70s or discovering their music as it happened is greater than someone who discovered it on the Q+PR tour, or the upcoming Adam Lambert shows. I would hope that people who got into Queen in '71 as opposed to '75 as I did don't dismiss me as newbie who doesn't know what the band was about. But, but, but, if anyone in their right mind believes what Queen is about today has ANYTHING to do with Queen when they were vital, just does not get it.
People like to use Freddie quotes to their benefit. My favourite quote is "fuck today, it's tomorrow I live for." That quote is responsible for Queen not being dinosaurs, and not for better all the time as it gave us Body Language and a ton of shit in the 80s. But for Brian and Roger, it's "fuck today, it's 1977." Michael, that's 35 years ago. I lived through it, saw Queen at the height of their powers doing the songs they will on this tour when they were vibrant. Please don't tell me that I am negative because my favourite band have become a sales machine aimed at people who don't care about music except as entertainment. If Picasso started touring with Kim Kardashian to get an audience I'd expect people to be pissed also. You're not, that's great. I am, that's apparently bad to you.


"My only suggestion however is this, stop taking things so bloody serious. You might actually have some fun from time to time."
I don't. I've said many times I like your thoughts. You don't know if I'm a man, woman, in my 40s or 80s. You've decide I'm negative based on your POV. I'm not negative, but I've been to top of the mountain. Forgive me if I don't get excited about seeing the valley.

Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 735 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Brass Neck, perhaps there's some English language problems, or perhaps manners, but calling out Michael by name as a topic in a forum, and then--to Michael's credit--getting a reasonable, non-ad-hominem response, and then insulting him over and over again in your paragraph-by-paragraph response, is pretty low even for Queenzone fora.


God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:
Sheer Brass Neck, perhaps there's some English language problems, or perhaps manners, but calling out Michael by name as a topic in a forum, and then--to Michael's credit--getting a reasonable, non-ad-hominem response, and then insulting him over and over again in your paragraph-by-paragraph response, is pretty low even for Queenzone fora.


Non-Ad-Hominem? Did you miss the bit where Michael called someone's mom a prick, for no reason?


"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Russian Headlong wrote:
Allred, the cut and paste dickhead who rates Lambert! Lambert didnt even know May's name ffs. He deserves a slating. Jeff Scott Soto or Paul Rodgers have already fronted 'Queen' post Fred and did well. I do agree about pepsi but 5ive and robbie williams are just as bad and dappy! Brian and Roger have lost their dignity in the eyes of the rock community, its very sad. They are NOT ABOVE criticism and deserve the flak from many long time fans for this perceived pissing on the legacy by trying to be popular. im feel lucky to have seen Queen with Fred twice and PR twice. Now I wouldn't pay a penny to see this latest embarassment.


It's called quoting you doofus.

Anyway, good for you.

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Canadian May Fan wrote:
Daniel Nester wrote:
Sheer Brass Neck, perhaps there's some English language problems, or perhaps manners, but calling out Michael by name as a topic in a forum, and then--to Michael's credit--getting a reasonable, non-ad-hominem response, and then insulting him over and over again in your paragraph-by-paragraph response, is pretty low even for Queenzone fora.

Non-Ad-Hominem? Did you miss the bit where Michael called someone's mom a prick, for no reason?


for no reason? LoL, you might want to read posts from a certain antagonistic poster here. I give it when I receive it. Simple no?

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Daniel Nester wrote:
Sheer Brass Neck, perhaps there's some English language problems, or perhaps manners, but calling out Michael by name as a topic in a forum, and then--to Michael's credit--getting a reasonable, non-ad-hominem response, and then insulting him over and over again in your paragraph-by-paragraph response, is pretty low even for Queenzone fora.


Daniel, I don't mind insults at all. It's the internet and much like the whole pro/con Q+AL thing, I don't take a lick of it seriously.

Michael Allred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 14:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Brass Neck wrote:

That is an uninformed comment and ridiculous. I believe Queen at their best are artists in the company of The Beatles, Picasso, and the world's great film makers. So I am not bitching about EVERYTHING, maybe everything CURRENT as I believe as artists that today they are closer to the Starving Artists who plagarize other artists great works.[/quote]

How is it uninformed? Th evidence is readily on display.


[quote]
Either am I, but you have decided I am, which is not true. I don't see the point of it, that is a huge stretch to say "I" am personally insulted. You are putitng words in MY mouth.
[/quote]

You *act* as if you're personally insulted, why else would you (and others) go on and on with post after post attacking with such fury?

[quote[
Nope, and good for you. So your issue isn't with the fact that I and others think the AL collaboration is a joke, it's that we post about it. Should we call you about being positive for something that a lot of people think is blasphemy? [/quote]

See what I mean? "Blasphemy"? REALLY? Stop for a minute and step back and look at what you say. Why are you taking any of this so seriously? It does not change your life or affect it in any way. It doesn't alter or delete any of Queen's albums from your collection. Nothing is different.


[quote]
Because you are going after people in a confrontational manner who don't agree with you. You've told people to keep polishing their Freddie statues and keep living in the past because they don't like the Q +AL idea. Which is ironically why I am so opposed to the whole idea of what Queen is doing, because it's you Michael, are living in the past.
[/quote]

Living in the past is wanting nothing new to happen because it can't be the same as it used to be. Clearly that's not my POV.



[quote]
Nothing here is new except the singer, who I feel has a fine voice. He is not a rock singer, iMHO, he's Broadway so I don't think it works. You've decided that people who don't like AL are dinosaurs. I'd like to see B + R work with the guy form Keane, or even a true talent like Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy. [/quote]

You're saying one guy isn't good enough but you bring up the lead singer of a failed emo band who wasn't even the star of his own band? The lead singer from Keane? These are your choices?


[quote]
I have as much or more knowledge about the band than anyone on this forum which means SFA. I've never said my experience as having seen Queen in the 70s or discovering their music as it happened is greater than someone who discovered it on the Q+PR tour, or the upcoming Adam Lambert shows. I would hope that people who got into Queen in '71 as opposed to '75 as I did don't dismiss me as newbie who doesn't know what the band was about. But, but, but, if anyone in their right mind believes what Queen is about today has ANYTHING to do with Queen when they were vital, just does not get it.
People like to use Freddie quotes to their benefit. My favourite quote is "fuck today, it's tomorrow I live for." That quote is responsible for Queen not being dinosaurs, and not for better all the time as it gave us Body Language and a ton of shit in the 80s. But for Brian and Roger, it's "fuck today, it's 1977." Michael, that's 35 years ago. I lived through it, saw Queen at the height of their powers doing the songs they will on this tour when they were vibrant. Please don't tell me that I am negative because my favourite band have become a sales machine aimed at people who don't care about music except as entertainment. If Picasso started touring with Kim Kardashian to get an audience I'd expect people to be pissed also. You're not, that's great. I am, that's apparently bad to you.[/quote]


I hate to break it to you but Queen became all about sales in the early 80s when Freddie was alive and well. None of this is new.

[quote]
I don't. I've said many times I like your thoughts. You don't know if I'm a man, woman, in my 40s or 80s. You've decide I'm negative based on your POV. I'm not negative, but I've been to top of the mountain. Forgive me if I don't get excited about seeing the valley.


and nobody is forcing you to see the valley or listen to the sounds coming up from the valley.


Sheer Brass Neck user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 719 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 May 12, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey Daniel, FYI, I think you're very intelligent and I think the same as Michael. My English is beyond good, as is yours. You're published, I've been published weekly so I know what I'm talking about. So when I say:


"If I post a legitimate question as a thread, will you respond to it honestly Michael?"

That's not calling someone out.

And Michael responds:

"A legit question? from you?"

I've acknowledged that I respect his opinions, then he takes two shots at me in five words? Read my history Daniel. I'm knowledgeable and fair. Not saying everyone agrees with my self assessment but I'm not a troll and I bring knowledge to this forum.

Michael has attacked people who disagree with comments like "stop polishing your Freddie statues." Not me, him. So I ask, what are we supposed to get or what are we missing with a third rate singer when we've seen the best ever? If we are getting Greatest Hits presented live for the umpteenth time since Freddie's death, what is new? What is great? That Adam Lambert can hit the notes? Big deal. He has (to me) a horrible stage presence, and a wobbly vibrato that I hate. I have acknowledged that if other people love it, that's great. But FFS, I bet the guys in Queen Extravaganza are better players than Brian May these days, but I have no desire to see them BECAUSE I'VE SEEN BRIAN MAY AND THIS IS AN IMITATION WITH NO ARTISTIC VALUE!!!! Is that that difficult to see? Or is my opinion unpopular and not to be brought forward here? (knowing as Michael does that it means nothing as no one in Queen's camp is listening.) Seriously, half of QZ and a lot of the world outsied of QZ think that Queen are a joke now. I've never said to one person don't go and see it, but if all dissenting opinion is to be stifled...

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Brass Neck wrote:
So I ask, what are we supposed to get or what are we missing with a third rate singer when we've seen the best ever?

You may not be missing anything, but some people are. I don't know where he stands on this, but Greg, who is respected by almost everyone on here as a very reliable authority on Queen concerts, could never have seen any Queen members live if they had just stopped touring. As for me, I'm so late I missed Q+PR, so Q+AL is the best someone like me could ever hope for. I'll take what I can get, even if I'm helping fund old men who some on here consider greedy and approaching senility. Unfortunately, I myself am in no position to go over the Europe and see them.

Sheer Brass Neck wrote:
But FFS, I bet the guys in Queen Extravaganza are better players than Brian May these days, but I have no desire to see them BECAUSE I'VE SEEN BRIAN MAY AND THIS IS AN IMITATION WITH NO ARTISTIC VALUE!!!!

I don't make fun of them or criticize them. Sadly, they may be the closest thing I ever get to seeing Queen live. I could be wrong, though. I just pray to God that they're decent. As somebody mentioned jokingly earlier, I would go see Roger bang his head on a tambourine on some street corner if that what it came down to. Just my two cents. Newer fans are probably generally less opposed to this than fans who have been around the block.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was born in 1990, so I sadly couldn't see Queen during Freddie's time. I started getting into Queen around 2005, and wasn't really familiar with the Queen + Paul Rodgers thing (I missed the chance to see them). The only things that I've been to live that were Queen-related was the North American Queen Fan Conventions (going to my third one this year), a Gary Mullen show (which was superb), and I'll be seeing the Queen Extravaganza show in Detroit (May 31st)!

As for the whole Lambert thing: I'm kind of in the middle: He's a technically superb vocalist, but his style didn't mesh well on his Queen covers. To be fair, I think he was extremely nervous--because on other performances that aren't broadcasted all over the place, his vibrato is far less excessive, and his pitch is better. He sounds much better on performances that are more "low key" (unplugged, radio sit downs, small venues, etc) compared with stuff on the EMAs, the AMAs, etc.

I don't hate Lambert at all: I think he's a nice guy, and I do listen to his stuff quite a bit. I just wasn't fond of his Queen performances. Now, if I had the chance to see Queen + AL in a live, I would see them!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll be at Detroit too, Greg! Where are you sitting?


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 18:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Section F2, Row P, and seat 211 (my Dad is also going)!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm somewhere in F5, so we won't be very close to each other. Maybe we'll run into each other somehow, though. I kind of know what you look like based on your picture.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3184 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope we can say hi at the show! PM your cell phone number, we'll get in contact!


I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury