Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > If "The Miracle" were the final album...

forum rss feed
Author

dowens user not visiting Queenzone.com
dowens
Bohemian: 267 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 May 12, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've always enjoyed "The Miracle" album. You can tell the band was working together and in a creative period of their career. I've read material that said the doctors didn't even think that Freddie would make it past "The Miracle" being released. Recently listening I thought, "wow...what if this were the last album?". You can't help but wonder with the final track being "Was It All Worth It.". I wonder if Freddie was happy to end it like that?
I just found that thought interesting...what an amazing contrast to "Innuendo". With "Made in Heaven" it's an amazing emotional journey with the final 3 albums.

Jimmy Dean user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 488 posts

Posted: 14 May 12, 22:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed.

I'm sure the expectation was that Was It All Worth It would be the last hurrah... And it was a very fitting bookend to an illustrious career.

But clearly, they topped themselves with The Show Must Go On. Fucking epic finale.

Made In Heaven was definitely a "posthumous" release. The band sold it as such, no one really considered to be Queen's final album. At least I don't. I see it as unfinished business put to rest.

The song Made In Heaven as a Queen track, in my opinion, was the greatest result of them putting that album together. I don't know if Freddie permitted the use of the track... but I definitely wish he would have re-recorded it with them for Miracle or Innuendo. Imagine him arranging it for as a Queen track... it would have been *that* much better.

Freddie was definitely the most talented arranger, in terms of song composition --> BohRhap, Somebody To Love and Fairy Feller are prime examples... he painted the final picture before he began writing the melody...

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 14 May 12, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nothing more to add to that.

Well said.

Any way the wind blows...
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There are stories saying he had been told he wouldn't be able to even finish The Miracle album. Perhaps that is an anexagaration , but there is a possibility he wrote Was It All Worth It, as a retrospective testament and his way out song .But then again it wans't even a single.That dosen't make sence.I believe in his mind he knew he had more time than that to deliver a more fitting way out.
On the other hand The Show must go on and These are the days of our lives, the two most fitting candidates as good byes, were written by Brian and Roger.Even Mother Love that has a farewell quality is by Brian again. I dont know. Freddie may wanted to go without thinking to write something more sentimental than Was it all worth it.It's a valid assumption having in mind his "i dont want pitty" attitude.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Posted: 15 May 12, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just going to go ahead and say, no one, in his right mind, wants to purposely write a "goodbye song".. No one "wants" to really go. At least not someone in his 40s and in his right mind - ie. Freddie.
The Miracle and A Winter's Tale. Freddie wanted to live and keep on living. He never wanted it to end, and that's what he tried to do in his final years: Imagine his life without an end while he still can.

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 987 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Dean wrote:
I'm just going to go ahead and say, no one, in his right mind, wants to purposely write a "goodbye song".. No one "wants" to really go. At least not someone in his 40s and in his right mind - ie. Freddie.
The Miracle and A Winter's Tale. Freddie wanted to live and keep on living. He never wanted it to end, and that's what he tried to do in his final years: Imagine his life without an end while he still can.

Not per-ce a "goodbye song" but having in mind what may come in the future your artistic approach inevitably change.The show must go on for example dosen't say goodbye but it penetrates into heavier concepts of life, meaning and has implications to death. Also the famous "i still love you" shot from the video TATDOOL may not have been a 100% statement of "now i am saying good-bye to you", but its hard to believe that it didnt carried the weight of that possibility.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Rubbersuit user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 331 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimmy Dean wrote:
I'm just going to go ahead and say, no one, in his right mind, wants to purposely write a "goodbye song"..

Warren Zevon wrote "Keep Me In Your Heart" as his goodbye song after being diagnosed with the cancer that killed him.
Try to listen to it without choking up... it's hard.
Writing a goodbye song isn't about being of "wrong mind", it's about acceptance and probably a healthy thing for a songwriter to do when faced with pending mortality.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i disagree. miracle was a pretty mediocre way to have signed off...
from the orignal vinyl album 4 out of 10 tracks were very ordinary....part, kashoggi's rain. baby does me

me? i'm glad they managed to eke out innuendo

go deo na h√Čireann
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I consider "The Miracle", "Innuendo", and "Made In Heaven" to be trilogys.

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:
I consider "The Miracle", "Innuendo", and "Made In Heaven" to be trilogys.

Uhh...could you please explain? I don't really see how they're similar at all.

I personally think that after Freddie was diagnosed with HIV, their creativity went up some. The Works and AKoM are fun, but generally not very creative. The Miracle and Innuendo still aren't at early to mid '70's levels of creativity, but their getting more unique stuff out there because Freddie's about to die. I think The Miracle is a better record than some give it credit for; that's just my opinion though. Innuendo has some elements of an older Queen record with operatic vocals in Innuendo and All God's People. Made In Heaven is kind of different, but also quite a nice album.

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
dowens user not visiting Queenzone.com
dowens
Bohemian: 267 posts

Posted: 15 May 12, 21:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree. The Miracle is a great album. And I also agree in a way with AlexRocks in that the final 3 albums are superior to anything else of the 80's.
I wish we could know more about 1987-1995 for the band and the creation of those albums.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because they are all about the last days of Freddie Mercury. And to be more specific as each one happened they felt they were doing their last one. They were a change in tone in terms of subject matter and attitude. Less reclessness and more reflectiveness and far more uplifting in some ways. Dare I say Fred and the gang got far more conservative.

mooghead user is on Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is no way a song called 'Was It All Worth It' would have been the last song on The Miracle if there wasn't the possibility that it could have been the last album.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2803 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TMLWKY was probably written in that vein. Although it was composed by BM, it, like "TSMGO" were written with a mind set that they would reflect the finality of it all. It supposedly wasn't included for licensing/song writing issues.

I love the Miracle. Its odd, and I love Rain Must Fall..

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Miracle It's a great album , but it would not be the same if it were the last Queen album

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for the love of christ - [apols matt z] but this has been clarified before several times....Brian was the song writer for TMLWKY, but the lyrics were NOT written by him

as regards the album itself:
too much of an "empty, souless 80s sound", too much filler....party, kashoggi, rain must fall, baby does me....it's a middle-ish queen album

go deo na h√Čireann
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3037 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 17:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Party is a great song!

I didn't like it at first, but once I'd realised how much was going on musically 'behind the scenes', and took on board the seamless changes from pop to dance to rock, and the tongue in cheek ever-so-Queen lyrics, I reappraised my initial view.

GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 16 May 12, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
for the love of christ - [apols matt z] but this has been clarified before several times....Brian was the song writer for TMLWKY, but the lyrics were NOT written by him

Brian certainly embraces it as autobiographical, and lets others reference it as such without correction. I recall reading a quote from him that was something along the lines of among all the songs he'd written never had he told as much of his own truth as he did in that one. Separately I remember him saying that he wondered if he should write a sequel to it because there was no resolution in the song, but he decided he didn't have to because everybody knew what happened in his life subsequently. Overall, everything I've ever read suggests he had at least a hand in those lyrics. If he didn't, he's certainly disconcertingly comfortable with letting people think he did.

Posted: 16 May 12, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think someone's trying to make a point here... I wonder what that could be? lol

But yes, I definitely remember him saying - I think in Days Of Our Lives, actually - that it was specifically about the breakup with his wife and affair with Anita Dobson...

"torn between the lover and the love you leave behind"

cannot get any more literal that that... well he could have been more specific by saying "torn between Anita and the wife I've left behind"... but a lawsuit would surely be pending.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2803 posts

Posted: 17 May 12, 03:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Before you got your panties in a bunch, all I was saying was that the album would have reflected MORE finality with the song - had it been included. I know it was written with someone elizabeth lamers and something musker I noticed it as soon as I got MIH...

I KNOW it was a collaboration, which is probably where it got tied up in (royalties) as the vocal had already been completed long before (kinda like "Heaven for Everyone")

Just like people who jump on the phrase "its so hopeless, so hopeless to even try" from "its a beautiful day"

I wasn't misinterpreting the theme of the song like reviewers did on the above; when clearly the song was saying "itS hopeless to even try stopping him from enjoying himself"

That's really it.

In short, I was just saying it would have given more credence to the notion it was about the band coming to a close

'khashoggi's ship' "who said that my body was all over?"

But the theme only appears there and on Was it All Worth It.

What's a yo problem?

Concluding the post intent : had it all ended there, Queen would have been viewed as a band that capsized when they 1980. Without the return to greatness, all the 80's did was have some novelty songs mixed in among the scant INCREDIBLE ones

They wouldn't have been viewed with as much greatness

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"