Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > did queen make freddie or freddie make queen

forum rss feed
Author

david (galashiels) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 May 12, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

do you think that queen in there original line up would have been as big a hit if the lead singer had been diffrent?.
had brian/rog/john had ,say paul rodgers or brian ferry/steve harley/or paul mccartney.
would the band have such great sucess.
or even would freddie have been such a star without ,.bri/rog/john.
queen made freddie lead singer(not leader of the band).
but had someone else came along would we now have or had such a fantastic legacy of music?.
remembering in the 70s bands changed quick time,singers?guitarists were replaced on a regular basis.
even now it happens.
guns and roses(just axel rose i beleive),
what do you think,did queen become a hit because of freddie .or could have any rock star from that era have carried of that crown.
and a final point.
would have queen/brian/rog/.have had todays exposure without freddie..

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 17 May 12, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course the other three wouldn't have been nearly as successful without Freddie. Freddie is the face everyone remembers. He's the one with the iconic poses and amazing stage presence. Brian and Roger might have rocked together for a little while, but never got anything real big going, and John would never have any part in it.

Freddie probably wouldn't have gotten very far either without Brian/Roger/John. He would try for a little while, because he was very confident, but eventually be forced to give up.

Brian would probably end up being the happiest and most famous of the four working as a respected astronomer who doesn't have to worry about riled up fans calling him hypocritical, or ruining the legacy of astronomy, and instead able to focus on whatever he wants with little to.

John would be happy working with computers of some sort, perhaps in regards to musical instruments.

Freddie would end up as a stripper at some joint he designed the logo for, being immensely unsatisfied that no one would ever discover his true potential.

Roger would be somewhat unhappy doing who-the-hell-knows-what.

That is all speculation of course. Who really knows?

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
DragonflyTrumpeter83 user not visiting Queenzone.com
DragonflyTrumpeter83
Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 17 May 12, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger would be somewhat unhappy doing who-the-hell-knows-what.

Ha... He'd probably be the town drunk somewhere in Cornwall.

madmetaltom user not visiting Queenzone.com
madmetaltom
Bohemian: 239 posts

Posted: 17 May 12, 21:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drunk on vodka! hehe

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 17 May 12, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd say Queen made Freddie.

Listen to the recording of Freddie's band playing "Green" in 1969. It's awful.

Then listen to the Smile recordings from 1969. A fair portion of the Queen sound was already there.

From day one it was a highly creative environment. They all influenced each other. This is what makes the greatest bands.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 03:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course Green sounds awful because it's a home recording (AFAIK). Smile's record was at one of the top studios in the world, having a professional producer, professional engineers and a high quality mix.

Brian and Roger were/are excellent musicians, but to use Smile vs Ibex/Wreckage/SMS is unfair all things considered.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1789 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:
Of course Green sounds awful because it's a home recording (AFAIK). Smile's record was at one of the top studios in the world, having a professional producer, professional engineers and a high quality mix.
Brian and Roger were/are excellent musicians, but to use Smile vs Ibex/Wreckage/SMS is unfair all things considered.

I agree with Bob, the track "Green" home demo, or if it was a studio version does not have the standard of the "Smile" recordings, but saying that, it was only Freddie in his "musical infancy". what's to say that in a few years after wreckage, he wouldn't have turned out some classic tracks even without the Queen influence? it's one of those things we'll never know.

Joyful the sound
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John made Queen. The other three were just hanging on.

They didn't start selling records until John joined the band. They finally "made it" in the USA once John's song came out. People actually bought Queen Rocks because John was on the "new" song post Freddie. After that, people started complaining how it wasn't Queen anymore. Once John left, they started bringing in sub-par players and holograms.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2808 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Without first reading the other comments, I was tempted to just respond STFU - this question will go nowhere

But since I wanna be civil.

All the initiated fans know that the band's strength was the sum of its parts.
Go back and listen to Smile and then to Ibex; and you will clearly see that Smile was better, while Ibex showed FM as an oddity diamond in the rough.
Seeing how they didn't mesh until they got John Deacon, and that the songwriting was varied, and that their voices complemented each other (yes, I'll include Johns bass voicing, he's an unusual bass player---melodious and emotive)

Neither. THE GOD***MNED BAND MADE THEMSELVES!

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2808 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha...ruining the legacy of astronomy.... That's gotta be one of the top 10

"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen had broekn america before ANOBTD..so the John argument doesn't work.

I think Freddie made queen. but from one perspective only. smile were a band and had made a recording, but were going nowhere....TS decided to join a band called Humpy Bong for fuck's sake - that shows how successful he felt smile would ever be

freddie brought a new direction to a standard (for the times) band formula....

brian still plays that silly solo that appeared on that smile lp which

go deo na hÉireann
waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brenski, I think that Microwave isn't referring to AOBtD, bu Misfire. Queen didn't make it big until Mifire came out. It ALMOST sounds like a valid argument.

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
MackMantilla user not visiting Queenzone.com
MackMantilla
Bohemian: 610 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen made Adam Lambert

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie + Brian + John + Roger made Queen.

Leave any member out and you get something MUCH worse than the original band

brENsKi

Posted: 18 May 12, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

waunakonor wrote:
Brenski, I think that Microwave isn't referring to AOBtD, bu Misfire. Queen didn't make it big until Mifire came out. It ALMOST sounds like a valid argument.

sorry, i completely misread the intonation of his missive. it's clear now that amongst the sarcasm there was some valid points, however i think that "misfire" was part of the sarcasm.....?

go deo na hÉireann
MERQRY user not visiting Queenzone.com
MERQRY
Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They both made each other...

"I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust" Freddie Mercury
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 14:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One way to look at it is to ask would they have been sucessful if they had never met and formed Queen? Firstly luck plays a big part: there are many great musicians who never made it "big" because they weren't in the right place at the right time. That aside, Roger easily has the charisma, looks, voice and terrible fashion sense to have been a frontman in his own right in the 1970s and 80s. I've no doubt he would have found a way to be a rock star. For example, think how much better Def Leppard would be with Roger on lead vocals :) Brian is too talented and too strong willed not to have made it in the rock business. Deaky -- I get the impression that he was very fortunate to have met the band when he did and although he's a very skillful musician I don't think anyone would have heard of him today if Queen hadn't come along when it did (although what a great session musician he would have made!)As for Fred, he could've been anything -- rock star, artist, weirdo, theatre luvvie -- there's just no way to know how his career would've developed if he had never met Smile. So, as others have stated, they were successful because of the blend of personalities and talent.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can the same arguement be made for the Beatles?

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 18 May 12, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

UPDATE

Yes, Misfire was how they tackled America successfully, but now that you mention it, AOBTD was their biggest seller.

Another point in John's favor.

Even Freddie knew this was going to be an issue... so he made them call him Deacon John on the first album. How'd that turn out?

After he demanded his name represented correctly on the 2nd album, things started happening for Queen.

brENsKi

Posted: 18 May 12, 16:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger in Def Leppard? really?
he was ten years too old for that group..they were NWOBHM kids and he was 30....

secondly, his voice would not have fitted their stuff ever

go deo na hÉireann