Forums > Queen - General Discussion > You dont fool me on HOT SPACE ?

forum rss feed
Author

Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 986 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 May 12, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard a rumor that this song or basic ideas go back to the Hot Space era but it just didn't made it to the album. Is there any substance to this or just crap?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 06:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No. It's a misinterpretation by people who were too stupid to read the liner notes from GH3 properly.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 06:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote: No. It's a misinterpretation by people who were too stupid to read the liner notes from GH3 properly.

Wasn't it mostly misinterpreted by people whose first language wasn't English?

thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6247 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does it matter? It was misinterpreted, and fools who don't bother to check their sources spread the misinformation further. Debunked.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

inu-liger

Posted: 20 May 12, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was asking a legitimate question, no need to be so dismissive and a lil' rude there Thomas. I'm well aware the misinformation was widespread over time, however my question was related more to the origin OF the misinformation.

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3171 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

On the booklet for "The Platinum Collection," the linear notes talk about You Don't Fool Me sounding like a Hot Space-era track!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The origin, I think, comes from GHIII, where the liner notes say that it 'harks back to' that era.

So, according to that logic, since 'Seaside Rendezvous' harks back to the 1920's, that's conclusive proof that Freddie wrote the song two and a half decades before he was born.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
andres_clip user not visiting Queenzone.com
Coolest Cat
andres_clip
Bohemian: 131 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

good one sebastian:-)

Black Queen marches
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2742 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn.

Blunt queenzone snobbism.

You gotta realise this is GOING to happen for newbies on here; its testament to endurance of Queen's music. (And hopefully that lasts in spite of bad collaborations)

Age gracefully and help the young ones out without backlash.

I read somewhere that the track surfaced from engineer David Richards' attempt to piece scraps together; dunno anything else beyond that.
I can only assume there was a song of sorts, because it has rhythm and something of a story to tell. How the band missed it, I dunno.
I know a lot of people hate it due to that fact and also because it's repetitive. I happen to freakin love it. Especially love the solo. The song is great considering its creation

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "
GT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 794 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You Don't Fool Me was always a real song and not scraps put together. The lyrics were written by Freddie and they are reproduced in the new Complete Lyrics book.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4262 posts

Posted: 20 May 12, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome, can't wait for the Lyrics book!

inu-liger

Posted: 21 May 12, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GT wrote: You Don't Fool Me was always a real song and not scraps put together. The lyrics were written by Freddie and they are reproduced in the new Complete Lyrics book.

Great, so that's two myths or mistruths now debunked in this book alone...which song had "Wooly Hat" as a working title, and You Don't Fool Me being an actual proper song from the get-go rather than just random scrap tidbits

matt z

Posted: 21 May 12, 02:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah nice. So what's the real behind Andy Gibb + Play The Game and Rod Stewart in the early 80's "Let Me Live"?

Since I doubt I'll get the book (sorry-money's tight this year. Got a vacation planned and the re-releases didn't provide anything new to compel me)

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "
Stelios user not visiting Queenzone.com
Stelios
Bohemian: 986 posts

Posted: 21 May 12, 06:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could it be that "Yup bup ba ba ba ba da da da dah!" line be actually unfinished lyrics?
However it sounds splendid!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6247 posts

Posted: 21 May 12, 07:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inu-liger wrote:
I was asking a legitimate question, no need to be so dismissive and a lil' rude there Thomas. I'm well aware the misinformation was widespread over time, however my question was related more to the origin OF the misinformation.

If you're going to lecture me about being rude, you might perhaps not have phrased your original remark like a jab to non-English speakers. Has that crossed your mind?

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6243 posts

Posted: 21 May 12, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Both stories (Rod Stewart and Andy Gibb) were confirmed by Fan Club magazines at the time they happened. TBF, it hasn't been officially confirmed that Andy Gibb sang on PTG - what the newsflash stated was that Freddie had invited him to sing with them (i.e. Freddie, Brian and Roger) on one of his (Freddie's) songs and had been pleasantly impressed by how good his voice was. The song in question was in 1980, so it could be Play the Game, Don't Try Suicide or one that never made it to the album.
As for Rod, it was confirmed in a 1983 issue of the mag (actually Rod was one of the several famous guests on that session) and then by Brian on a letter to the Fan Club in 1996.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 21 May 12, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Wasn't it mostly misinterpreted by people whose first language wasn't English?"

That's what I said.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
matt z

Posted: 21 May 12, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you, Sebastian. Not the "uber-fan" I was in high school, that story eluded me.

FTR: misinterpetation considered; You Don't Fool Me is much better rhythmically than the wanna-be disco of Hot Space... I think they were just plugging the album again to sell copies to newbies. (It DID contain Under Pressure after all, for purists...and yeah, of course it was recorded well before the album release)

inu-liger

Posted: 21 May 12, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
inu-liger wrote:

If you're going to lecture me about being rude, you might perhaps not have phrased your original remark like a jab to non-English speakers. Has that crossed your mind?

Zeb's response was much ruder than mine to begin with, so maybe you should learn to prioritize your criticism Tom

Thistleboy1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
You wanna ring the bell?
Thistleboy1980
Deity: 3027 posts

Posted: 21 May 12, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
inu-liger wrote:

I don't think his original question came across like a jab at non-English speakers, to be honest. In fairness to Inu, it does look like a legit question and, as it happens, his theory regarding the origin of the misunderstanding turned out to be the correct one. Surprisingly, that's the first time I've ever heard about this, so it has turned out to be a useful bit of info :)

It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit: how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!