Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Katy Perry could play Freddie Mercury's girlfriend in new film of Queen sin

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 05:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She hopes to land the part of Mary Austin alongside Dictator star Sacha Baron Cohen who will take the lead role as the late Queen singer.

Katy Perry is in the running to play Freddie Mercury’s long-term girlfriend in a new film.

She hopes to land the part of Mary Austin alongside Dictator star Sacha Baron Cohen who will take the lead role as the late Queen singer.

California girl Katy, 27, wants to make the switch from music to big screen and she hopes the biopic of her rock idol will be her big break.

She’s such a big fan that she dressed as Freddie at her own birthday party.

Filming is due to start next year and Sacha is already working with remaining Queen members Brian May and Roger Taylor on the movie, which is being tipped as a box-office hit.

A friend of Katy said: “Katy would love to be in the film as she is such a huge fan. She would want to play Mary Austin ideally. Katy has a similar look to Mary and would be a brilliant foil to Sacha.”

The film is being produced by Oscar-winning Graham King, best known for The Departed, and producers have secured the rights to many of Queen’s biggest hits, including We Will Rock You, Bohemian Rhapsody and We Are The Champions.

Stephen Frears, who directed Oscar-winning The Queen, starring Helen Mirren, is tipped to take the helm. It will focus on Freddie’s rise to fame from the band’s formation in 1971 through to their ­monumental performance at Live Aid in 1985.

Freddie began dating Mary Austin in the early 1970s before he became famous, and the couple enjoyed a six-year relationship as Queen hit the big time.

Freddie later admitted to Mary he was bisexual and they went their separate ways. The singer had ­relationships with several male partners but always ­remained close to the woman he called his “common-law” wife.

She was one of the first people he ­told when he was diagnosed as HIV-positive, and she comforted him ­during his final days before he died of Aids-related pneumonia in 1991 at the age of just 45.

In one interview Freddie said: “All my lovers asked me why they couldn’t replace Mary, but it’s simply ­impossible.” In his will he left Mary, 61, his home in London.

Katy revealed how she became a Queen fan after sneaking to her friend’s house to watch MTV and listen to vinyl albums after herstrict Christian preacher parents banned her from listening to rock.

She said: “I remember hearing Killer Queen by Queen and falling down in what felt like slow motion in my bed listening to the ­lyrics. And I thought to ­myself, ‘Oh my gosh, this music is incredible. These lyrics speak to me...’ and that made me want to be what I am”.

Katy made a surprise appearance at a preview of her new 3D film, Katy: Part Of Me, about her life, including her ill-fated marriage to Russell Brand, at a London cinema on Thursday evening.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/katy-perry-could-play-freddie-870503

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12697 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 07:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She is so fucking full of shit.

Wouldn't mind drilling her though. Or nailing her. I dunno. Some kind of pet carpentry project comes to mind.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2142 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I could stare at a picture of Katy Perry for hours and find no speck of resemblance to Mary Austin

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1305 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She's way too hot to play Mary.

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly don't mind Cohen as Freddie, but this...oh my. Didn't see that one coming.

Frankly, I don't see why some people are getting so very worked up about any of this (that means you, matt z :)). Plenty of people were concerned about QE, including me, and were pleasantly surprised to find out that it's actually really good. The movie hasn't even been filmed yet; for all we know, it could actually turn out to be decent. The only way to know for sure is to see the final product. Brian and Roger do care about Queen's legacy, despite what some people think, so they aren't going to let just anything get through.

tomchristie22 wrote:
I could stare at a picture of Katy Perry for hours

Mhm :)

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2742 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I got mad as an old PMS'er...

Guess I'm getting old. Not a fan of taking the piss out of another culture for public ridicule. I know too many ppl who joined "campaigns" in Iraq, Afghanistan etc who had already dehumanized that culture out there with a couple pats on the back from SBC's "humor".

Its nothing new. In the 80's it was the Russians being demonized. Anyways. It pissed me off, but I should just sit down and wait for the project to see the light of day.
Afraid I can't offer much support on this casting curiosity thing, except how realistically could Katy Perry recreate a British accent?

She's not an actress either.its the hollywood machine pumping in "stars" for sake of attendance and not the art.

Re: Ana Faris...I've heard ppl say "where is she?!" As if she's washed up. I've only seen her in the HOUSE BUNNY...she was hilarious...and soooooooo f-ing hot.
GO HER.

"A world without preposterous prepositions could only be the best ...... world. "
the dude 1366 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 20:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please, no. I've had enough of her throaty voice that I think I might start killing people near me if I have to see her in this. I used to like her. But then I listened closely and realized she sounds like shit and a half.
We get it, Kerry. You have big tits. Maybe if you sang from there instead of in your throat you could be worthy. Plus it would look cool if you could figure that out and I just forgot what I was complaining about. Ok, put her in the movie. Just no singing

waunakonor

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 22:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MEDUSA-RULES wrote:
is this girl even an actress?

Nope. Why does that matter? We've kind of mentioned this before; more famous people = $$$. It's not like it's the first time a singer has been made into an actor actress, oh hell no. Sometimes, it actually works out well but most of the time they're just in a few shitty movies that nobody will remember soon. Who's going to remember that Transformers clone that Rihanna's in? Anyway, I just hope Brian and Roger make this a little bit more than a money make machine and actually try to portray Freddie decently; maybe it's wishful thinking but, then again, maybe not.

waunakonor

Posted: 10 Jun 12, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not saying it can't work, I don't know if any of this can work. Really, we don't even know if they end up using Katy Perry. I'm just interested to see this thing when it finally comes out.

When is it coming out? It feels like I first heard about it, like, forever ago.

On a different note, I hadn't realized the movie was going to be about '71 to '85. I'd heard somewhere that it was mainly going to take place in the week leading up to Live Aid, which sounded REALLY boring. A fairly long span of time should be interesting.

kosimodo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 549 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 12, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i bet i play a better GF for Him...

(FYI i am M.....)

waunakonor

Posted: 11 Jun 12, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kosimodo wrote:

(FYI i am M.....)

That's...nice....

Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 12, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:
She is so fucking full of shit.
Wouldn't mind drilling her though. Or nailing her. I dunno. ome kind of pet carpentry project comes to mind.

Z!!! The entire thread was worth reading for this alone! I'm almost afraid to admit it. LOL oh dear

Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 11 Jun 12, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MEDUSA-RULES wrote:
kosimodo wrote:
(FYI i am M.....)

You are Mary?

Guessing here but I think Medusa means he is a male?