Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > what the hell is happening with john deacon?

forum rss feed
Author

purplepiepete user not visiting Queenzone.com
purplepiepete
Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 12, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

over the yrs i hear brian and roger being nice and saying john is out of the music business and wants to just do his own thing. fair enough.
they've been asked if they are in contact with john and i get the impression that they aren't.
in fact i get the impression there is no personal contact either in person or via phone between john and the other two. could be wrong of course.

however it just doesn't seem all above board to me. sure its none of my business but i don't care coz i wanna know!
i get the impression that there is no friendship left with john.
it doesn't seem normal, you spend so long together and share all those experiences with eachother,  yet a wall goes up between them.

brian said something once that hinted to me that john had a bit of a breakdown after freddie died?
so because of that, he is now a complete loon!
why would you not be friends with someone like roger and brian anymore?


"faith means nothing wanting to know the truth."
purplepiepete user not visiting Queenzone.com
purplepiepete
Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 12, 20:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PART TWO.

obviously we don't know what it was like in a mega band like queen. who knows what was said between them over the years
maybe the others always hated john and loved to beat him up after each gig?

it just seems really odd to me. i wish brian or roger would state what is happening with their relationship with john.
saying he has 'retired' from music isn't enough for me anyway. do they actually mean 'retarded' from music instead?

the fact he doesn't seem to be in touch with the other two and doesn't turn up with rog and bri anywhere, gets the suspicions up, doesn't it?
thats the funny bit, him never being around, never hearing from him.
i've nothing against john wanting privacy, i simply want more of an explanation about the whole thing. something believable!

damn it! i've bought all the queen records many times over during my life, plus the posters and t.shirts, i demand an explanation!!!



"faith means nothing wanting to know the truth."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 12, 23:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"so because of that, he is now a complete loon!"

Complete loon?

How old are you, anyway??


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Biggzy10 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 12, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John had huge respect for Freddie. And continuing Queen wasn't right in his eyes. He knows that no one can replace Freddie or really front Queen again for that matter. I think it all has to do with respect for Freddie. I respect John for ending the journey for himself. It shows how much he loved Freddie and valued him.

Heavenite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 721 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought I'd heard that they are in occasional contact with John because of his continuing rights in terms of the business.

I too am sorry that John is no longer part of Queen, but he has moved on. Sadly I doubt he will be back either. He just doesn't seem to be the sort to me.



Tommilaiho user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 01:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do get the impression that they are in contact with john. In fact , they have to be, ´cause of the bussiness. In the band Freddie pretty much took John under his wings and gave him more courage to write more songs and be more active in the band. As much as I love Brian and Roger, I give a lot of respect for John , for not going along with Queen if he feels like it´s not really ok. I like seeing brian and oger playing live, but if that´s the way John feels, then he did the right thing.

purplepiepete user not visiting Queenzone.com
purplepiepete
Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh i just thought he'd gone mad and put a teapot on his head, as one does.

i find it all a bit strange. does he have to be part of queen? no.
can he have a private life? yes.


to me it just feels a bit strange, tis all. when other guys retire there are always the odd siting here and there.

age? 53.

its a pity that things like sarcasm and humour doesn't always transfer well thru the printed word.


"faith means nothing wanting to know the truth."
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 02:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you had a massively successful career, be it in music, sport, finance, prostitution etc... and during that career you had close colleagues that mirrored your career and were always there would there be an obligation to stay in touch after you retired? Even 'telephone contact'?

I dont think so to be honest.

cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What I find sad is that he actually retired from music totally. If he didn't think Queen could continue without Freddie then that's fair enough, but perhaps, only aged 43 by the time Made In Heaven was released, if he didn't want to play with Brian and Roger either as Queen or under a new name, could hold have then joined/formed another band - he could have done this purely for fun as he didn't need the money, and he could have gone down a soul or r 'n' b route to actually then play the style if music closest to his heart. It would have been really good to hear his fantastic bass playing in that kind of style full on fit a whole gig or album.

He did obviously go through a very hard time personally and socially after Freddie's death and the result is that he became a sort of recluse. Yes the guys deal with him by email and letter in business decisions (perhaps Jim Beach sees him face to face?), but they have said in interviews that they simply haven't seen him in person for years. Very sad from a fans point of view, and I'm sure personally for them too.

If he'd just come out every now and then for things like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame presentation, Stormtroopers in Stilettos exhibition,, 40th anniversary releases etc then it would have been nice - then he's not being asked to play with other singers or record new albums under the Queen name, both of which he sees as disrespectful to Freddie, but he's purely recognising and celebrating what they created together and being acknowledged for his part in it.

whynot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's what Brian and Roger also should have done, retire from music, instead of performing under the name of " Queen" .


Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



cmsdrums wrote: What I find sad is that he actually retired from music totally. If he didn't think Queen could continue without Freddie then that's fair enough, but perhaps, only aged 43 by the time Made In Heaven was released, if he didn't want to play with Brian and Roger either as Queen or under a new name, could hold have then joined/formed another band - he could have done this purely for fun as he didn't need the money, and he could have gone down a soul or r 'n' b route to actually then play the style if music closest to his heart. It would have been really good to hear his fantastic bass playing in that kind of style full on fit a whole gig or album.

He did obviously go through a very hard time personally and socially after Freddie's death and the result is that he became a sort of recluse. Yes the guys deal with him by email and letter in business decisions (perhaps Jim Beach sees him face to face?), but they have said in interviews that they simply haven't seen him in person for years. Very sad from a fans point of view, and I'm sure personally for them too.

If he'd just come out every now and then for things like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame presentation, Stormtroopers in Stilettos exhibition,, 40th anniversary releases etc then it would have been nice - then he's not being asked to play with other singers or record new albums under the Queen name, both of which he sees as disrespectful to Freddie, but he's purely recognising and celebrating what they created together and being acknowledged for his part in it.


Well, musical recluse maybe. He has a large family and is probably enjoying family life away from the public eye. He's not a Syd Barrett-type recluse. Like you, I'm also disappointed he hasn't appeared for Queen anniversaries. IIRC Brian said he almost appeared at the Stormtroopers exhibition and then backed out at the last minute. It would've been nice to see him there.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4707 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote



whynot wrote: That's what Brian and Roger also should have done, retire from music, instead of performing under the name of " Queen" .

That's right, they should retire from music because you don't like a choice they made. Holy fuck.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
thomasquinn 32989 user is on Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6257 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

From what I've seen over the past few years, I can't blame John for not wanting to have anything to do with Brian and Roger. What they are doing professionally is, IMHO, embarrassing, and what little insight we gain into their private life suggests that they are not particularly nice people.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

purplepiepete user not visiting Queenzone.com
purplepiepete
Rocker: 26 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'm glad they didn't retire from music. i don't see anything wrong with wanting to perform songs you've written in the past.
plus its their jobs too.
don't know why so many people have problems with others who become millionaire thru' their work either.

i had no problem with calling themselves 'queen+paul rodgers', they couldn't exactly of called themselves 'roger taylor, brian may and paul rodgers', so many people wouldn't of known who they were.

the 'queen experience' seems an ok name to tour with.

yeah, i wonder what sort of things john fills his days with?


"faith means nothing wanting to know the truth."
12yrslouetta user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didnt i read somewhere, a long time ago, that if Queen finished John Deacon said that hed retire. He had no interest in continuing in the music business. I couldve sworn i read that around the Works era. Im sure its around in the websphere somewhere. I may be waaaaay off of course. Anyway, i always got the feeling that John wasnt really in it for the glory and the fame. And after Freddie died it seemed the best point to bow out. As soon as Robbie Williams was introduced i think he felt, ok this is a new thing which i dont really want or need to be part of.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whynot wrote:
That's what Brian and Roger also should have done, retire from music, instead of performing under the name of " Queen" .

i can't believe i am reading such drivel

stop and think about it....

a company (and Queen were a PLC/limnited company - since 1978) does not cease trading because a major shareholder dies or retires.... companies OFTEN outlive their original shareholders. As it happens "Queen Ltd" still has two shareholders engaged in the day-to-day business and one sleeping partner (john)still taking his shareholder's dividends annually.

now, on the other hand if you'd said "they shoulda stopped because there's no quality control, and most of what they produce these days is substandard"....well i'd still disagree with the principle but, agree with your reasoning


go deo na hÉireann
tero! 48531 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 737 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brENsKi wrote:
whynot wrote:
That's what Brian and Roger also should have done, retire from music, instead of performing under the name of " Queen" .

i can't believe i am reading such drivel
stop and think about it....
a company (and Queen were a PLC/limnited company - since 1978) does not cease trading because a major shareholder dies or retires.... companies OFTEN outlive their original shareholders. As it happens "Queen Ltd" still has two shareholders engaged in the day-to-day business and one sleeping partner (john)still taking his shareholder's dividends annually.
now, on the other hand if you'd said "they shoulda stopped because there's no quality control, and most of what they produce these days is substandard"....well i'd still disagree with the principle but, agree with your reasoning


I'd say it's equally sad when your argument for Brian and Roger continuing as Queen is based on the fact that they are shareholders of a legal company.
Using that same logic, it would be perfectly acceptable to sell the company to Bill Gates and let him perform as Queen, because it's up to the shareholders to decide who is in the band... I can't even imagine where the company ends up once all the original members are dead.

In my opinion the 20 years of recording career with the same exact line-up pretty much says who the band consist of, but it seems that just about everybody (including Brian and Roger) disagree.

matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2808 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably getting a prostate exam.

;)


Nah. I'm sure he's involved in life's contentment. Mr family man. That's a fulltime pursuit...and having the $$ to go out and live it, must be very enjoyable to him. Wish him well.
I can guesstimate that he wouldn't attend a "stormtroopers in stilletos" function unless it was a RARE Q+A that focused on the bands career WITH FREDDIE... And that all questions were screened for anything reflective of his opinion on "Queen" after death..

He probably felt it was the right thing to do (stay home)...and probably showed up on a private tour if anything

Anyways, John...I'd love to have one of your basses. They ARE kinda just collecting dust n all. ;)

Bites the dust...


"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3668 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Productions is a Limited Company not a PLC.

philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Jun 12, 12:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian and Roger can do as they wish,if we don't like it,its tuff.Deacy is missed for sure but it was his choice and we have to respect that.