Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Is Queen Wembley 86 overdubbed?

forum rss feed
Author

radiogugu user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard the saturday night show is heavily overdubbed.

Is Friday night overdubbed? Freddies voice sounds much better than saturday and I can't stand overdubs!

If friday is overddubed. can you please point of specific parts? Thanks fellow queen fans!

Gregsynth user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Saturday show has so many overdubs, that I lost count!

The first Wembley show is mostly "legit." They fixed some guitar goofs on Who Wants To Live Forever, and they got rid of the feedback on "Is This The World We Created." There's probably more, but those two stick out!

Freddie truly does sound better on the Friday show (I don't believe they overdubbed his vocals for the Friday show)!

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
Vocal harmony user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1229 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 20:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very few, if any, official live recordings from the 70's and 80's were not overdubbed.

Unleashed in the East by Judas Priest was only half Jokingly known as Unleashed in the studio, some reports claimed the only live recording on the album being the Bass drum.

Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous, although denied at the time, was over dubbed on several tracks as was Live Killers which also had songs "stitched together" from more than one performance.

Both Milton Keynes and Wembley contain very different sounding performances from the original releases. In some places the vocal on Milton Keynes has been treated compared to the 80's TV broadcast.

Wembley 86 has been "altered" in places too.

Of course Frank Zappa being Frank Zappa, on the album Joe Garage, dubbed live guitar solos into the studio recording!

If your looking and hoping to find officially released pure live recordings they are few and far between.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18616 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
Of course Frank Zappa being Frank Zappa, on the album Joe Garage, dubbed live guitar solos into the studio recording!

^ Definition of genius.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
conejo29 user not visiting Queenzone.com
conejo29
Rocker: 30 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 12, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10uCbm5PVK8

in this link are the raw concert of wembley 86 whitout overdubs.

hola como estan espero que muy boien.
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg4iPtEANEk

Audience recording. Not only is it not overdubbed, but it gives you an idea of what the live mixing practices were, with regards to echoes and reverbs being switched in on front of house sound.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The overdubs are a plus in some cases - the MK version of Fat Bottomed Girls is much better off without Freddie's squealing :P

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10070 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 01:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tomchristie22 wrote:
The overdubs are a plus in some cases - the MK version of Fat Bottomed Girls is much better off without Freddie's squealing :P

I can't agree. Overdubs are always a cheat. When I want a concert recording, I want to hear exactly what the audience could here. That's the meaning of live recordings - to give the buyer the feeling that he's on a (Queen) show.
And I prefer the original FBG on MK

Ghostwithasmile is BACK! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ghostwithasmile is BACK!
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^^^^^^^^
What he said ;-)

Yes and when I know where and when a overdub is patched into the recording. Each and everytime I listnen to it I know and think " oh yeah that's a overbud" And I am going to listnen very carefully if I can hear any patching done on the music.... The FBG from MK : you can hear a big difference it sound unnatural ... and is indeed annoying...

Supersonic_Man89 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 241 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree, I'd prefer to hear a live recording with a few overdubs if it means a better product. Freddie may have uncharacteristically slipped up on one note of a show, and it's a bit unfair to crystalise that for eternity by releasing it as it is.

Of course I don't mean overdubs to the extent where you can't tell what's live and what's not anymore, but for mistakes which i think will stand out, then why not? Queen were perfectionists, I'm sure they'd agree.

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 04:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Supersonic_Man89 wrote: Freddie may have uncharacteristically slipped up on one note of a show

I think, good as he was Freddie's voice was not perfect.
There were many shows where his voice was strained or he went for lower notes for self preservation.

Yes he had amazing range and control as proved on many albums. But in the studio you can stop and start and take breaks. On stage you can't, and that showed during a number of Queen gigs.

I think you'll find that Paul Rodgers, when working with Queen was a more consistent singer than Freddie.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 05:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Vocal harmony wrote:
Supersonic_Man89 wrote: Freddie may have uncharacteristically slipped up on one note of a show

I think, good as he was Freddie's voice was not perfect.
There were many shows where his voice was strained or he went for lower notes for self preservation.

Yes he had amazing range and control as proved on many albums. But in the studio you can stop and start and take breaks. On stage you can't, and that showed during a number of Queen gigs.

I think you'll find that Paul Rodgers, when working with Queen was a more consistent singer than Freddie.

Yes, Rodgers could definitely reproduce his nasal whine far more consistantly than Fred, especially the lyrics "lurrve yewww" .

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
Flash Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flash Jazz
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 05:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Rodgers doesn't suffer from vocal nodules afaik.

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 08:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but how can you even tell if a live show's been overdubbed?

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 wrote:
Yes, Rodgers could definitely reproduce his nasal whine far more consistantly than Fred, especially the lyrics "lurrve yewww" .

At least he did it night after night, in tune without breaking up or losing pitch. Something Freddie couldn't do as often.

Dane user not visiting Queenzone.com
No strings attached!
Dane
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 08:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The live slip-ups are part of the performance and inherent to the time-document.

Can you imagine Nirvana 'fixing' the guitar solo to Man Who Sold The World??!?!

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Queen Visual Library (www.qvl.nl)
Graeme Arnott user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 112 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not to put Paul down - as I am a big fan - but Paul had plenty of breaks during the concert.

mooghead user is on Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3662 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 11:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All officially released Queen gigs have been overdubbed to buggery (thats an expression from the North of England!)

All you are left with is poor quality mono fan recordings.

Bearing in mind Queen's live reputation its a pretty sad state of affairs.

people on streets user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1313 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 12:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Real Wizard wrote:
Vocal harmony wrote:

^ Definition of genius.

He also dubbed his live recordings with studio work. Quite ugly as a matter of fact.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 12:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but how can you even tell if a live show's been overdubbed?"

If you've listened to it enough times, the edits start to pop out at you. No matter how much effort they put into the overdubs, the sound will change slightly.

Another one I only noticed when I was syncing the live audio to Wembley was that, once I watched the official DVD later on - you can hear bits of the actual performance (very faintly) underneath the overdub. It would be because onstage bleed from the monitors into other mics (the drum mics, guitar mics, etc).

So even if it's very hard to discern, for brief moments you do hear two Freddies at times.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller