Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > The Point of no return & The Great Test Of Queen

forum rss feed
Author

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is no more troubling than anything else that has happened in the past, say, 15 years. I don't honestly see how a film is going to destroy the image of Queen or Freddie Mercury or anything like that. The movie will come out eventually, but all Queen's music will still be there, everything else will be intact, and the earth will keep moving 'round and 'round. Sacha Cohen is not going to single-handedly change any of that. In fact, the movie may turn out to be decent. Many fans had their doubts when Roger was picking members for the Queen Extravaganza, but he must have seen something we didn't because it turned out to be a great show. Those two still know what they're doing at least sone of the time, and although they've made some more questionable choices over the years...well, we're all still here, are we not?

So let's just all hold hands, forget all our doubts and concerns about the future of (what is for many of us) the greatest rock band ever, and go into this together, and as Queen fans. If we make it out alive somehow, we can all marvel at how good the film was or gripe about how bad it was. If we don't make it, well, I'll see you guys in heaven, or wherever I may end up. For the meantime, however, let's just stop our bitching and worry about things that really matter.

So, what's your favorite Queen song?


That was my deep, sentimental philosophy for today. I am tired. Good night, QueenZone.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Relax.

It'll be fine.

Actors get cast against type all the time. It can bring out new and dynamic performances.

Besides, one person doesn't make or break a film. There's the script he works from, the director directing him, the editor cutting together his footage, the other actors he plays off of...

You can't really judge a forthcoming performance based on what an actor did before, especially if it's a different kind of role.

So, yeah, the sky is not falling.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 12, 23:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You are absolutely ridiculous.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 01:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"This is a very troubling time for me as a Queen fan."

On behalf of us all I offer you our deepest sympathies. Chin up lad, you'll be ok.

Love

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 02:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have a list of 103 actor for this movie, here is a sample:

Phil collins as peter gabriel
http://greenobles.com/data_images/phil-collins/phil-collins-06.jpg

Peter Cushing as Freddies dad, Bob
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsC/4039-4285.gif

peter gabriel As phil collins
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2b/Peter_Gabriel_Allan_Warren.jpg/220px-Peter_Gabriel_Allan_Warren.jpg

David Brighton as Brighton rock
http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/imgs/artists/david_enrico/enrico_david_stick_rock.jpg

Professor John tricyle as Bicycle Race.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/John_Henry_Knight_tricycle_circa_1880.png

billy idol As Jonny rotten
http://www.icons.nu/thumb/billy-idol-lookalike.jpg

Richard Obrien as James Hutton / The dream master
www.bbec.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Richard-OBrien-797x1024.jpg

Navi Jackson as Mary Austin
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Michael+Jackson+Look+Alikes+Photocall+-hcI2RfBIffl.jpg

Bruce li as Roger Taylor
http://i29.tinypic.com/162ac8j.png

Natasha 18 from london as Red Special
http://www.bloggerheads.com/images/sun_page3_april07.jpg

Bob Hoskins as the plumber who fixed Freddies boiler in 1971
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/06/20/bob-hoskins-mario.jpg

Nicholas Lyndhurst as Shaggy
http://img.discountpostersale.com/posters/MVS268241/1/Nicholas-Lyndhurst.jpg

Pablo dogger as Scooby / Dog with a bone
http://newfoundlandpuppiesblog.com/files/newfoundland3.jpg

lou ferrigno as Brian may / Evil Brian may
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-56h4W9ejhH4/TrFcEs4nUsI/AAAAAAAAA1k/v-L2LCqMd_4/s1600/Lou.jpg

Warwick Davis, his wife and kids as coke carrying dwarfs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/entertainment/galleries/media/getty_warwick_420.jpg

Brian may as Brian may's dad, BOBBY / Tom baker
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/Brian_May_filming_for_the_BBC%27s_%27The_One_Show%27.jpg/220px-Brian_May_filming_for_the_BBC%27s_%27The_One_Show%27.jpg

And this guy as John Deacon
http://blog.popflys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Liu-Bolin-blending-in.jpg

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 03:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ryuichi Sakamoto should play John Deacon...he's not only got the serious look but the zen to go with it...

ludwigs user not visiting Queenzone.com
ludwigs
Bohemian: 459 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 03:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm finding it hard that it is affecting you so much. Maybe you should pop along to a childrens hospital or a MacMillan nursing home and get some more perspective about things that really do matter?

I doubt this potential film will tarnish Fred's reputation? Seemed he became more popular after his death.

Senna user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 05:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although we all love Freddie and think of what an exceptional talent he was please also remember he was not a God or a saint for that matter. It's just entertainment.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really get a Chapman/Hinckley vibe from these posts. It's a good thing Freddie's dead and safe from nutjobs like this.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2804 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 06:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...judging from Queen's past with film....


Flash Gordon...bomb; but cult classic (I used to get sick just looking at the Hawkmen as a kid...if the film ever came up, it almost made me want to vomit; I didn't see the "camp" in it until I was in my 20's)

Iron Eagle...pretty alright...does nothing for the band...One Vision isn't their most distinctive rock riff... (Tymd is)... Its simple

Highlander.... Epic construction of songs, formidable; but ridiculed somehow by many critics.


...So.. Not counting "bicycle race" in "how high" or "you're my best friend" in Shaun of the Dead...

I don't expect much from this. Sascha was terrible in HUGO. He had no sensitivity to his role, which made him seem fake and out of place; out of touch.


If anything, it will only generate further camp and humor...cause Sascha is a jerk who isn't fit for a serious role.



Oh well.


"BLADES OF GLORY" found a way to make it interesting again.

Don't look for any "Oscar" nods_- despite the suggestion that the academy is gay.


It'll probably be a flop. Meritless flop.



Either that or I just dislike Sascha...he's a character goon


"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
Tommilaiho user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 06:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I´m actually quite hopefull about that movie. Sacha is a fan of Freddies, and ´cause that he will give honest but respectfull performance. Remember that Freddie never , ever took himself too seriously and was quite a joker himself

Montreux user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"his Borat style acting, which rests upon him entirely , and has no relationship to anything REAL, be it a fictional reality based character person, or a factually real portrayal of a real person"
Medusa, what do you really know about acting?

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MEDUSA-RULES wrote:
waunakonor wrote:
This is no more troubling than anything else that has happened in the past, say, 15 years. I don't honestly see how a film is going to destroy the image of Queen or Freddie Mercury or anything like that. The movie will come out eventually, but all Queen's music will still be there, everything else will be intact, and the earth will keep moving 'round and 'round. Sacha Cohen is not going to single-handedly change any of that. In fact, the movie may turn out to be decent. Many fans had their doubts when Roger was picking members for the Queen Extravaganza, but he must have seen something we didn't because it turned out to be a great show. Those two still know what they're doing at least sone of the time, and although they've made some more questionable choices over the years...well, we're all still here, are we not?
So let's just all hold hands, forget all our doubts and concerns about the future of (what is for many of us) the greatest rock band ever, and go into this together, and as Queen fans. If we make it out alive somehow, we can all marvel at how good the film was or gripe about how bad it was. If we don't make it, well, I'll see you guys in heaven, or wherever I may end up. For the meantime, however, let's just stop our bitching and worry about things that really matter.
So, what's your favorite Queen song?
That was my deep, sentimental philosophy for today. I am tired. Good night, QueenZone.

This is the one thing that can destroy Freddie's image, it should be obvious why it can, it is cinema , it is a lasting portrayal of Freddie himself.

No, it's not.


Tommilaiho wrote:
I´m actually quite hopefull about that movie. Sacha is a fan of Freddies, and ´cause that he will give honest but respectfull performance. Remember that Freddie never , ever took himself too seriously and was quite a joker himself

Those are basically my thoughts, I just don't know how to put them to words properly.


matt z wrote:
Well...judging from Queen's past with film....
Flash Gordon...bomb; but cult classic (I used to get sick just looking at the Hawkmen as a kid...if the film ever came up, it almost made me want to vomit; I didn't see the "camp" in it until I was in my 20's)
Iron Eagle...pretty alright...does nothing for the band...One Vision isn't their most distinctive rock riff... (Tymd is)... Its simple
Highlander.... Epic construction of songs, formidable; but ridiculed somehow by many critics.
...So.. Not counting "bicycle race" in "how high" or "you're my best friend" in Shaun of the Dead...
I don't expect much from this.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?


matt z wrote:
Sacha was terrible in HUGO. He had no sensitivity to his role, which made him seem fake and out of place; out of touch.

Why are we using this as his defining role? He hasn't acted enough in a non-Borat type movie for us to know how he really is as an actor. Even in Hugo, his character was mainly comic relief, so he didn't really need to fit in well with the movie or for audiences to connect with him. This will be his first role (as far as I know of) where we do need to connect with him on some level. We shall see how he does.


These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 12, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is one of those "I may not know much about art but I know what I hate" topics and clearly Medusa-whatever hates Sasha. And now that he's made that point a number of times in the short time he's been here, perhaps he would now stfu about it and move onto something else.


"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
matt z user not visiting Queenzone.com
this is not my display message
matt z
Deity: 2804 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 12, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My mistake, maybe I didn't phrase things concisely; I was just rebutting the "thesis" of the poster, that this film with SBC might possibly ruin Freddies reputation and credibility.

I was stating using examples of Queen in cinema, that they've rarely ever had serious dramatic application. The one exception I can think of is "who wants to live forever" in HIGHLANDER (yet, in spite of that, the bad make up on his aging wife makes it sorta hard to believe)

So,...with Queen's presence in film usually being humorous... Or amorous.. I don't see how it will tarnish the band's image. It will just be another foray into the realm of "cult classic/camp" status. Possibly even moreso depending on how bad it can get.

The fact that they've "survived" being in a few turkeys would have been a good precedent for how good or bad the results on the public could be (ah great, now I sound like I'm in marketing!)
At best, this could bring about another revival like 1992 with Wayne's World. At worst, a camp film shown every year in revival theaters (like Rocky Horror, Showgirls, Invasion USA, Disco Godfather)

So, my post was relevant, but probably phrased badly. Sorry bout that. Also, considering that from all sources that mention it; the film will bookend with Live Aid; its really unlikely that the filmmakers will make Freddies personal life even much of the story. That said, expect another SHOWGIRLS ;) [ie. Box office hyped bomb, forever seen in revivals]
;) its a lot to hope for! My grief with the whole thing was about Sbc...possibly linking Brian's public peaceful guy status vs the bigoted 50's style "humor" that SBC became famous with (sure they're fictional places but he's really ridiculing a culture in a time of "warfare"...knowing there were recruiters at my high school for instance; hipped me to the fact that that sort of ridicule is capitalised on)

Btw: I didn't realize he was supposed to be a comic foil in HUGO... Aside from seeing him do a synchronized take with his watch dog....I didn't find anything remotely funny about his character. Hell, I found his acting efforts at sympathy (for instance when he wishes to speak with the flower woman but is put back by his squeaky leg). Maybe I should watch it again. My enjoyment came from the novelties of the old cinema, not much of the situations. Those were pretty bleak considering it was a children's film. If it wasn't for the energy of the "discovery" and "adventure" involved in it, the film adaptation could have been a lot more somber.


That said: I hope the Queen film bio is good. Much like Queen + AL...just gotta sit back and hope its good. That's about it


"Come tonight! Come to the Overbite! Come See Freddie rock Toniiiiight!"
master marathon runner user not visiting Queenzone.com
master marathon runner
Royalty: 1237 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 12, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

calm down dear!
If anyone has any doubts about SBC's abilities, just watch him in Sweeney Todd opposite Johnny Depp.
You'll be pleasantly surprised and reassured.He is more than capable. Trust me.


Master Marathon Runner
ludwigs user not visiting Queenzone.com
ludwigs
Bohemian: 459 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 12, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MEDUSA-RULES wrote:
ludwigs wrote:
I'm finding it hard that it is affecting you so much. Maybe you should pop along to a childrens hospital or a MacMillan nursing home and get some more perspective about things that really do matter?
I doubt this potential film will tarnish Fred's reputation? Seemed he became more popular after his death.

such comments are really quite silly.
AND ALSO TRANSPARENT,
because you silly remark exposes the fact you fear the logic of my points, so resort to some kind of irrational argument based on a false humility and false comparisms of the importance that i should be concerned people at this moment are suffering, and go on about something that is totally inapropraite and inaffective and irrelevent as an argument against the points i have made.
i care about queen i care about freddie
i like their music and them
but i am not here to detract from what people are here to do
by telling them they should not be here doing what this forum was designed to do which is allowing them to express there thoughts on queen and freddie,
which is exactly what i am doing.
And my thoughts are only voiced because i feel strongly about them, i dont express what i do not believe in, or havent thought enough about.
i dont know how other peoples minds work, but i actually can only be bothered talking about things i care about.
if you have a problem with that and feel there are more important things to do at this particular moment in time
i suggest you do them.
and the bit about him becoming more popular after death
is quite sick really isnt it.
i am concerned only with what i know to be true
he would prefer a competent and appropraite actor to play him if he was alive or dead.


How would I possibly 'fear' the logic of your posts and your assumption of my mindset, Mr Freud is way, way off!!??
My suggestion was to perhaps give you a better grounding about what things kinda are a little important in the scheme of things.
I have been really into Queen since 1974 and was as avid a fan as there could ever be - all through school, punk, New romantics and all the other 'popular trends' I was totally into Queen. Everyone else seemed to only like them when it was cool to. (Mostly after Fred's death I may add....)
I can appreciate your passion but do you really think that 'venting-your-spleen' is ever going to change things one iota? You suggest that I should go off and do more important things - well, you're in luck. I do every day. It's part of my job. I occasionally read here and hardly post as it is purely a passing thing that has no bearing on my life. I like Queen up to when Freddie died and the rest has little interest to me as it has become about money, money, money. The people I respected and thought I knew when growing up has, sadly - and true to usual form - become not 'heroes'. Really, just normal people with nice points and ugly traits .
I see you dislike SBC and don't think he is up to the task? How do you know he will be shit? Do you base your views on the popular comedy characters he has been known for? Do you act yourself?

How is my statement about him becoming more famous since he died inappropriate?? That's the fact's Jack!! Like I said, I am much older and more realistic now so my point about it not really being important in the scheme of life stands!!
You made your points initially (and in other threads) so why not just feel proud that the FM estate and RT and BM will read this and congratulate you for saving them from certain disaster and that FM will be seen as a white light walking on water! How the hell would you know what he would've wanted? Did you know him, hang with him?? NO!!
C'mon, get real.

queenUSA user not visiting Queenzone.com
...... as it began
queenUSA
Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 12, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

master marathon runner wrote:
calm down dear!
If anyone has any doubts about SBC's abilities, just watch him in Sweeney Todd opposite Johnny Depp.
You'll be pleasantly surprised and reassured.He is more than capable. Trust me.


I've not seen Sweeney Todd but will check it out now that you've mentioned it to hopefully see another dimension of SBC.

I think most people in the U.S. - all they know SBC for is Borat, the Dictator and other over the top roles. Hugo was an example of something other than the usually ridiculous roles. The Dictator was more his usual fare.

Tom Cruise is out in a new movie right now called Rock of Ages where he portrays rocker Stacie Jaxx. A bit weird to set aside previous Cruise characters to see him in this way. He did a good job with it. Maybe even a great job with it.


I'll be right behind you, right until the ends of the Earth
Queenfred user not visiting Queenzone.com
Queenfred
Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 12, 08:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MEDUSA-RULES wrote Even spiderman and superman are characters based upon real humans with real human reactions and everyday interactions, and reality based
emotional responses to real , even if , fictionalised situations.






  Ummmm... so the situations are fictional  -but Spiderman and Superman are real?
(yeah, cheap shot I know -but you sound like you need to get down from that pedestal for a minute)

Dude, wait for the film (if it ever happens). Rubbishing Barrons performance before you've seen it is pointless- and makes your argument logically redundant- whatever your feelings about his acting.

And besides, 5ive was much more of a travesty to Queens legacy


Gentleman, you can't fight in here - this is The War Room!
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Jun 12, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm starting to have a nagging suspicion that TS is so angry because *he* wasn't asked to play Freddie.


Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus