Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > An interesting find on the Saturday Wembley 1986 show

forum rss feed
Author

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 05:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

During I Want To Break Free, Freddie's mic dies and he isn't heard for a moment (it's present on two audience recordings). There's a recording of radio broadcast, but his voice is present there. How could this be? The radio broadcast is raw, which means it must be the same thing we hear on the audience recordings.

I guess they must have fixed it for the official release. Perhaps they took the voice from the original multitracks of the concert, didn't they? The March Of The Black Queen from Hammy '75 (BBC 2009 re-broadcast) is an example.

But still I don't comprehend how the voice is absent on the audience recordings but present on the radio broadcast.

Any guesses?

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10072 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 06:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This WAS discussed some time ago. But still a pretty good find

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"There's a recording of radio broadcast, but his voice is present there. How could this be?"

Rough guess - there was two different sends for the radio broadcast and the front of house mix. I couldn't say so for sure but if the audience recordings were live, and the radio broadcast was live, then any differences would be down to that.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
ploughman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's quite a simple thing.

Probably something happened in the Front of House Desk. Maybe Queen's Sound Engineer Trip Khalaf forgot to put the channel bac on after muting it during vocal break?...

But as it is customary the recording feed and front of house mix feed are separate feeds. So what was heard in the PA system didn't happen in the radio broadcast...

"I'd love to see 70's Queen concerts on DVD!"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 12:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ploughman wrote:
the recording feed and front of house mix feed are separate feeds.

^ what he said.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
moonie user not visiting Queenzone.com
moonie
Bohemian: 389 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The gig was broadcast on the radio & simulcast on tv in October 1986, so I'm sure there was a lot of cleaning and overdubbing on this mix. And more so when it was released as a double album later still.

MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice find!

Any way the wind blows...
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Probably something happened in the Front of House Desk"

Yeah, the first time I heard an audience recording I noticed a lot of stuff being muted and unmuted rather abruptly. Actually sounded a little unsubtle to be honest, but it was a pretty high pressure event I guess.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller