Forums > Fan mixes > C_Matt's "The Miracle (Revision)"

forum rss feed
Author

C_Matt user not visiting Queenzone.com
C_Matt
Bohemian: 357 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jul 12, 20:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fiu! I can't believe I finished this. This album was splited in three parts.

In every part there's a document (the same in every one) with a lot of info about the changes, a subjective score for every song, and all which is contained in every part. Is IMPORTANT to read the changes so you can notice them better.

The first one, the album with the B-Sides:
http://www.mediafire.com/?let52b7m89925tl

The second one, many interesting bonus tracks:
http://www.mediafire.com/?kx17e93219ks9q1

The third one, extras and random stuff you worth to listen:
http://www.mediafire.com/?v7jj9vzh7avu9jn

If someone can't download the parts, tell me and I'll upload them to RapidShare.

Now, go listen this, enjoy, and please, comment! Thank you!

Blaise Pascal user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dude, you're a legend! They have to make a monument to you!

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 04:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can't wait to hear this, but probably won't be able to download until the weekend. In the meantime, I'll look forward to the reviews. :)

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
AlexQRMX user not visiting Queenzone.com
AlexQRMX
Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've downloaded all the three parts.

The CD1 has a lots of good stuffs (Breakthru, WIAWI,etc.)

I really like it.

Great work, Matías ; )

PS: I'm waiting for : Liar (Queen), Innuendo (Innuendo) and The Prophet's Song (ANATO)

C_Matt

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much guys! I'm really happy to read how much you liked it, it took me a lot of work. I was experimenting today with Liar just to see what can I do (the third time I try to do something with this song), its a really hard challenge, is heavy clipped (like Father to Son heavy part), a mess, plus the original tapes hiss.

The bad quality is more noticeable in the drums than the rest of the instruments, the quality of the cymbals, that's why I focus so much in the drums. Queen album is very difficult to do, through I will do it later.

Now it's The Works turn, time to make some fixes on that weak snare (after I do some university final exams).

Might during the process I can do some single songs (I mean for Innuendo and ANatO tracks). I'm really scared about messing with Innuendo album hahahaha, it's a hard task too, a very strange and unnatural EQ (and the album itself gives me shivers and big nostalgia, the songs, the recording process...).

beatmichael user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 08 Jul 12, 20:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I've listened to most of it. Quite a labor of love! I'm amazed at the work you put into this stuff. It's really awesome.

I haven't done any A/B'ing but everything certainly sounds great. I'm really grateful to have the single mixes and b-sides all in one place too.

I have a new found liking for "Hijack My Heart" now. The speed correction is interesting but I think I prefer the faster take. It's a nice song but the lyrics.... Man, that is some bad, cliche ridden prose. I do really LOVE your remix of the Miracle though. It's really, really nice.

The album as a whole though is definitely not one of my favorite Queen albums. The whole thing sounds a little too forced and uninspired. I remember when this thing came out and I was disappointed. They were definitely lost amid the shuffle of what was happening musically at the time. Here in the States, I don't think anybody cared. They were set up to make a comeback too, but it tanked.

'The Miracle', 'Breakthru' and 'Was it all Worth It' are pretty much the only non-cringe inducing tracks here. The rest I came to like because I'm a huge fan but 'Khashoggi's Ship' is not going to make a Queen fan out of ANYbody.

So anyway, GREAT job and thank you very much for all your hard work. I really appreciate it. Got me listening to this album again. And I'll be looking forward to what you have up your sleeve next.

Kacio user not visiting Queenzone.com
Kacio
Bohemian: 753 posts

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 11 Jul 12, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still haven't had time to listen to this in full, but again, it's not an album I know particularly well, as I only really listen to three or four of the tracks. Of what I've heard, WIAWI sounds superb, IWIA and TIM sound fine to me and I think Breakthru is as improved as you could probably get it, but it really needs a completely new drum track to do it justice. I'm hoping you'll do some of the older albums soon, as those are the ones I know and love the best. :)

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
C_Matt

Posted: 11 Jul 12, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi all, I hadn't been able to respond. Sorry for the delay.

Beatmichael, really thank you for the honest comment. I love doing this, but the time it takes is heavy. With 'Hijack My Heart' I preffer too the speeded up version, it was so slow. The lyrics are simply Roger basics ideas, always talking about girls, fun, youth, or material things (cars, radios, tvs). This one is about girls, not the best lyrics he wrote, but (I agree) the music is really good.

I don't feel a forced trait on this album, I really enjoy how they are always improvising and jamming around the songs ('Stealin'' natural feel, 'Hang On in There' last part, 'Kashoggi's Ship' main funny idea), and I can feel strengh and soul in other songs (I agree with the three which you kept, are perfect examples, plus 'Scandal' and 'My Life Has Been Saved'). There are two songs which don't give anything to the album: 'Party' and 'Rain Must Fall'.

Again, thank you very much for appreciating this and take in count the big effort it took me (specially the 'The Miracle' Remix)!

Kacio, thank you very much for your answer too! I'm glad and happy to know that you liked it!

Fickle, to me WIAWI was one of the songs which most had changed too, which MLHBS, Stealin' and Breakthru, the songs in which you can really notice main changes without reading them.

I really agree with you about Breakthru. Maybe someday I'll do something about that ugly snare which sounds like chewing gum and put a good rocker natural drums. Actually, you woke up lots of desires about doing a mix with this one!

Currently I'm with The Works. I would see what can be the next one, might from the very very early era (a real challenge).

Thank for your comment and hope you like it in it's whole listening!

I want to give special thanks to those who posted comments here, trough I thank too to those other 40 people who downloaded the album!

drmurph user not visiting Queenzone.com
drmurph
Bohemian: 124 posts

Posted: 12 Jul 12, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This really is a phenomenal piece of work. I love your remix of The miracle, the more prominent guitar is great. I'm still to really study the difference between the original mix and yours, but really enjoyed the listen.

Thank you for sharing.

C_Matt

Posted: 13 Jul 12, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Drmurph, the most honestly thanks to you for your appreciaton about the mix and the general album. I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2236 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 12, 17:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn. I wish there was a way you could share the files as FLACs rather than mp3...

dysan user not visiting Queenzone.com
dysan
Royalty: 1588 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 12, 03:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll look forward to getting this - I loved the album when it came out, a great summer album for me as a kid. Looking back of course it is a flimsy effort and would really have benefitted with the addition of HOIT, HMH and CT on the main record (tape version!) I loved HMH at the time and was really miffed it wasn't on the album. It was a cool song in '89!

Back2TheLight user not visiting Queenzone.com
Back2TheLight
Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 12, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A very solid piece of work you've put together here...your mixing talents have brought out much in this CD...esp the 5.1 mixes...those I found to be really awesome!

I Want It All And I Want It Now!!
C_Matt

Posted: 30 Jul 12, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the replies, guys. BriansWig, uploading all this in FLAC would drive me crazy, the complete files size is about 1,41Gb.

Anyway, I'm planning to abandon this project to start a new one, making all the songs sound like if were mastered yesterday, trying to reach the GVH and Multitracks quality and put the GVH mixes sandwiched between the rest which doesn't have another source than the 2011 remasters.

Right now I was experimenting with the SHA trio (TF/FotW/LotV) and starting with The Works, without any documentation (changes, A/B comparisons...) which always took me a lot of time to write.

Dysan, that's a really interesting fact! I didn't even know that HMH was a known song at all. I was born in 1992, and how I wish to were born before to see the album releases, and they live in 1981, when they came to Argentina. I couldn't go to the 2008 either... fucking school final exams AAARGGGHHH!!! I really doubt they come again. At least I can buy the albums and DVDs which come to Argentinian stores (boxsets have to be imported or bought by 'Mercado Libre', Latinoamerican Ebay), and the remasters here had suffered heavy and serious desing mistakes, not prolix at all.

Bambams, thank you very much! The source sound quality is just AWESOME! They disclose lots of details barely audible on the CD master mixes. This might sound very stupid, but I like to listen the songs in two ways: Ultra quality (like the 5.1s with studio audiophones) or very old (having the first releases vinyls warm in a old player with the pitch and speed ups and downs, or a casette with a bit of original hiss!).

The fact to me is that the remasters (all the releases they've done) are in the middle, not one or another. I always try to give the best quality I can, like if they were mixed yesterday. It's very hard trough, just listen to Keep Yourself Alive album versions, where there isn't a clean hi-hat. In the multitrack you have it, but is imposible to bring it back from any album sources. The same with all the songs (AKoM and The Miracle songs have a SO MUCH more powerful and natural snare, cymbals, cleaner voices..., which is hard to rescue from the album mixes).

Thank you very much again for responsing!

Posted: 05 Aug 12, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any news?

C_Matt

Posted: 10 Aug 12, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi Blaise, I'm currently working in a different project about not only correct some mistakes but convert the discography in HD to sound better. I'm currently with The Works (finished the four hits + MotP), and now messing with KPtOW. In a few days I'll upload a kind of "preview". Cheers!

Posted: 12 Aug 12, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the news! ;)

PiotreQ user not visiting Queenzone.com
On QueenZone since 2003
PiotreQ
Bohemian: 888 posts

Posted: 14 Aug 12, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The links are broken? Hope it's temporary...

C_Matt

Posted: 15 Aug 12, 03:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PiotreQ, the links work for me. Might it was temporary when you tried (some hour ago from when I write this). If you still having problems, tell me and I'll upload the CD's to other download server too :)