Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Who was the best song writter?

forum rss feed
Author

Biggzy10 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Between Freddie and Brian, who do you think was tge better writter, lyrically wise. My vote goes to Brian. Brian's songs had much more meaning and/or thought to them. Freddie wasnt a bad song writter, but IMO the lyrics didnt have much meaning to them. Very cliche, very generic. And they were almost always love songs. Brian wrote about a wide veriety of things (his dead cat, father/son relationships, intergalatic travel). They were always deeper in meaning.

Im talking completly lyric wise. Not song structuring, meledy, etc. I left Roger and John out do to the fact that they were the ones that wrote the least. Not that there bad songs, i just want to see the two most common writters go at.

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Define 'better'.

waunakonor user not visiting Queenzone.com
Let's fucking do it, darling!
waunakonor
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian had generally more poetic lyrics, Freddie was generally a bolder writer in terms of the overall composition and taking risks with style.

I don't know. To avoid just saying, "They were both great," I'll go with Freddie. But seriously, they were both great.

mooghead wrote:
Define 'better'.

Your favorite.

These are the days of our lives

They've flown in the swiftness of time.
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3667 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 15:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Your favorite."

Aha.. thats answerable.

I don't know.

MartynTS user not visiting Queenzone.com
MartynTS
Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen l = Freddie. More creative and “epic”. Brian’s songs are amazing though.

Queen ll = Freddie. Overall I think Freddie’s songs are more powerful and creative. Brian, of course, has amazing songs, some of my favorite.

Sheer Heart Attack = Freddie. Brian’s few tracks are good but Freddie’s are amazing.

A Night At The Opera = Tie. Amazing songs on both of their parts, both are in their prime. ANATO has more of my favorite queen tracks than any other album.

A Day At The Races = Brian. Freddie has a few amazing tracks (Somebody To Love, Millionaire Waltz) but overall Brian has the upper hand (White Man, Teo Torriate, Long Away)

News Of The World = Brian? The Album has It’s moments, can’t say I particularly like it. It’s Late is my favorite track BY FAR, both musically and lyrically. Freddie has a few good songs but none that I find lyrically amazing.

Jazz = Freddie. Once again not my favorite album. Mustapha and Bicycle Race are pretty unique lyrically. Dreamer’s Ball and Fat Bottom Girls are great songs by Brian.

The Game = Brian. Save me, Sail Away Sweet Sister. The Game is pretty good but none of Mercury’s other songs really compare.

Hot Space = Brian? Put Out The Fire is great lyrically IMHO. I don’t really like the album…

The Works = Can’t decide. Freddie has It’s a Hard Life, Brian has Hammer To Fall (To bad I Go Crazy wasn’t on the album)

A Kind of Magic = Brian. Don’t really like the album. Who Wants To Live Forever is great.

The Miracle = Brian. I Want It All, Scandal. Don’t really like the album.

Innuendo + Made In Heaven = No Opinion.

TL;DR = Freddie was the best for most of the 70's. Brian from then on.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 18:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury wrote most of the band's hits in the 70s - when they were considered an innovative force: Killer Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody, Somebody To Love, We Are The Champions, Bicycle Race, Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

Six completely different songs, many crossing genres and of great complexity, yet accessible - all in a 5 year period. Most songwriters couldn't manage that in a lifetime.

Brian May wrote many great songs on Queen's earlier records (some of my personal all-time favourite songs, like White Queen and It's Late), but it is mostly Mercury's songs that will be remembered a hundred years from now.

Of all scales to measure creative success on, longevity is undoubtedly the most important one.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
MadTheSwine73 user not visiting Queenzone.com
God Save The Queen
MadTheSwine73
Royalty: 1013 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Neither. I'd say John. He didn't write much, but what he did write was great.

Commercially, it'd have to be Freddie.

To answer your question, I would say Freddie.

Any way the wind blows...
Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Biggzy10 wrote:
Between Freddie and Brian, who do you think was tge better writter, lyrically wise. My vote goes to Brian. Brian's songs had much more meaning and/or thought to them. Freddie wasnt a bad song writter, but IMO the lyrics didnt have much meaning to them. Very cliche, very generic. And they were almost always love songs. Brian wrote about a wide veriety of things (his dead cat, father/son relationships, intergalatic travel). They were always deeper in meaning.
Im talking completly lyric wise. Not song structuring, meledy, etc. I left Roger and John out do to the fact that they were the ones that wrote the least. Not that there bad songs, i just want to see the two most common writters go at.

Nah. I have to disagree. Freddie's songs had a lot of deep meaning. I would call it innuendo. It's just hard to notice this special meaning in his songs.

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
Biggzy10 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I liked to mention that Freddie dreded writting. He much prefered compition part. Building the melodies and what not. Which in that field, Freddie takes king, er queen.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 05 Jul 12, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie said it was the lyrics he hated and left to the end of the process. I'm sure he enjoyed the musical side of writing.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know.. I think I'm more fond of Brian's songs in general, but I can't really say. Not necessarily related at all, but I think Brian's solo material was a lot better than Freddie's. Roger was probably the least 'good' in a technical sense, but was by no means bad. I think his songs, at least early on, were probably the least mature, being mostly about youth and rebellion and whatnot.

So yeah, I'll go with Brian, but I have many favourite songs from both. Overall I'd say Brian's songs were more grounded in reality I guess, while Freddie's were often more fantastic, and therefore harder to connect with maybe. But that's mostly just with the 70's in mind, you'll have to forgive me for not considering most of the forgettable album tracks from the 80's.

alebazux user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lirically, probably Brian. Musically, I prefer Freddie's songs.

Russian Headlong user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 496 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 11:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May was Queen's best song writer.

"Give it to me one more time!"
Flash Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flash Jazz
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May, since this is a question about lyrics. His lyrics far exceed Freddie's.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whoa?

really? Brian's lyrics better than Freddie's?
i disagree

most of Freddies early lyrics are much better than Brian's ...by miles, all of queen I (jesus included) and side black of queen II, chunks of SHA Opera and Races are far superior to anything Brian wrote (lyrically) at that stage

you are forgetting that in this time, Brian gave us the lyrical comedy gems that were:
sweet lady (cheese)
prophet song (all that now i know bollox)
tie your mother down
some day one day
son and daughter
she makes me
good company (blatant beatles rip off)
sleeping on the sidewalk
leaving home ain't easy (another beatles rip off)
fat bottomed girls

go deo na hÉireann
Duraddict user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Overall, I think Freddie was the stronger songwriter, but that's not to Brian's discredit. I like how adventurous he was, being the same person who gave us 39 and then Dancer.

But as the years went by, I think Roger outshined them both. Action This Day, Breakthru, Fight From the Inside, Fun It, More of That Jazz and Radio GaGa are incredible and should not be discounted.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as were ...Days of our Lives, One Vision and Heaven of Everyone

go deo na hÉireann
Flash Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Flash Jazz
Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One Vision wasn't Roger alone. Besides, I can't see how most of those songs exceed Brian's lyrics.

jazzy mercurois user not visiting Queenzone.com
Holy shred!
jazzy mercurois
Royalty: 1716 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie all the way

CONLACANTINACONLACANTORACONLATELEVISIONGASTADORA
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 12, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd go with Freddie. Regardless of how dismissive he was of his own lyrics, and regardless of how poor some of them were ('when you pee all over my Chippendale suite'? WTF?), he did have some strokes of genius, from TFFMS (what a way to describe a painting - those lyrics are perfectly fitting to the music and vibe) to something like 'There Must Be More to Life than This' ... in general terms, I love the lyrics of his ballads (Jealousy is another example). They speak about the same things as a thousand songwriters, use a lot of the same words, but they do it in Freddie's unique way.

Brian's a great writer, also with some really poor moments ('some kind of cheese'), and a marvellous storytelling ability IMO. You can really connect with his descriptions. Things like 'All Dead All Dead' or even 'We Will Rock You' have a clear structure, a logic, you know what happens and how. I completely understand and respect those who prefer his lyrics to Freddie's, the same way I completely understand, respect and agree with those who prefer Freddie's to Brian's.

BTW, some of my favourite bits of lyrics on TSMGO are 'behind the curtain in the pantomime' which, coincidentally enough, were amongst the only lines on the song that were NOT written solely by Brian - he and Freddie wrote those parts together (the beginning of the 1st and 2nd verses, the rest was only Brian).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.