Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Adam Lambert wants Queen album

forum rss feed
Author

mickyparise user not visiting Queenzone.com
mickyparise
Bohemian: 787 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jul 12, 21:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Lambert wants to make an album with Queen.

The former 'American Idol' contestant has been singing with the group live in place of the late Freddie Mercury this summer, and is keen to record new material with original members Brian May and Roger Taylor.

When asked by UK radio station Capital FM if he would make a record with the group, he said: 'Yeah, I mean, I would love to work with them in any capacity in the future. I don't think I would turn any offer down.

'I mean, they're amazing! I don't know what it would be, but hey!'

Original Queen singer Freddie passed away in November 1991, and bass player John Deacon retired in 1997, but the band have continued, performing with singer Paul Rodgers between 2004 and 2009 and more recently Adam, after they played backing him in the final of 'American Idol' in 2009.

Queen and Adam played the second of three shows at London's Hammersmith Apollo venue, performing classic tracks including 'Under Pressure', 'I Want to Break Free', 'Another one Bites the Dust' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Adam, drummer Roger and guitarist Brian all took turns to sing lead vocals and at a few points Freddie appeared on screen and sang, accompanying the band through archive footage. The band will play at the venue again tomorrow (14.07.12), their last scheduled show at this time.

http://www.skynews.com.au/showbiz/article.aspx?id=771555

R.I.P. PRINCESS

Living Life on Life's Terms
Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 13 Jul 12, 22:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

NO, please go sit and be a judge on AI, the show needs you badly.

Man from Zanzibar user not visiting Queenzone.com
Man from Zanzibar
Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some time ago you wasn't even sure you want to do a whole tour with those "old baggers" and now you want an album with Brian and Roger? Good luck with that, Adam.

alanpace user not visiting Queenzone.com
alanpace
Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've been a Queen fan since about 1976 and I've been following Adam Lambert since he was on American Idol. Just so there's no confusion created by Man from Zanzibar's quotation marks, whatever you may think about Adam Lambert's voice he's never used it to say the words "old baggers" in reference to Queen. Several years ago when interviewers were asking Adam about rumors that he might tour with Queen, he said he didn't think the timing was right because he hoped to first establish himself as a solo artist. Considering his immense lifelong respect for Queen, however, I think that he might have changed his mind even then had Brian actually called.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 05:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Puke in a bucket.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Montreux user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want Queen album too, but without Adam Lambert.

alanpace

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 05:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks both for the warm welcome and for your inspirational reply, Zebonka12.

alanpace

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Upon further reflection, Zebonka12, I assume your comment was in reference to the album and not in reply to my post. That being the case, I understand your point. I'd be interested to hear the result of a collaboration, especially if it was new music as opposed to covers. Adam has said himself that he can't match Freddie when it comes to Freddie's songs.

tomchristie22 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Because the wind is high
tomchristie22
Deity: 2149 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lolol.
But yeah, they'd better not. It just seems out of character, particularly for Roger, that he doesn't acknowledge how shit Adam sounds. Maybe he genuinely thinks he's a good singer, but he just seems like the kind to be really critical of that sort of thing (that is, a well renowned rock band from the 70's being fronted by a teen idol pop singer from a TV show). Is he just trying not to burst Bri & Adam's bubble?

AdamMethos user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 421 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 08:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess doing a song (or duet) on Roger's solo album would be out of the question then...

I wonder how a collaboration would work since Adam doesn't really write his own songs. I know he has co-writing credits on his album, but when he's sharing that with 20 or so other songwriters, that seems more like ghost-songwriting!

Canadian May Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It can't be worse than THE COSMOS ROCKS.

*bunkers down in case of famous last words*

"I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I've got to find the will to carry on... The show must go on."
philip storey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 521 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome Alan to this site.Hope you enjoy your time here.You have to have a thick skin sometimes as one or two people are very set in their ways and everything after Freddie is pissed all over !Any way i thought Queen and Adam were bloody good at the Appolo Weds night.Loved Adams Pink jacket he wore for Dragon Attack.

Megine user not visiting Queenzone.com
Megine
Rocker: 22 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Queen+ AL do an album, I'd be happy. I have nothing against Adam, but I really want to listen to more songs written by Brian/Roger.
But I'd prefer if they had released an album with some rare demos.

I'm having a serious problem with verb tenses.

Leonardo Venegas user not visiting Queenzone.com
Leonardo Venegas
Bohemian: 626 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Welcome to the board alanpace, you'll find many great souls in queenzone. Enjoy the forum!

Please will you direct me in the right way?
alanpace

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Phillip, and it's great to hear that you enjoyed the concert. If they decide to to any shows in the U.S. I'll be there. I do have fairly thick skin and while I don't agree with those people here who apparently can't stand Adam, I know their passion is from the protective appreciation of Queen's legacy and not from hate. When it comes to Adam Lambert I'm more accustomed to reading vitriol borne of the latter motivation.

alanpace

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks, Leonardo.

Joxer user not visiting Queenzone.com
Joxer
Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh shit...

Joxer The mighty
alanpace

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 10:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tomchristie22 wrote: Lolol.
But yeah, they'd better not. It just seems out of character, particularly for Roger, that he doesn't acknowledge how shit Adam sounds. Maybe he genuinely thinks he's a good singer, but he just seems like the kind tobe really critical of that sort of thing (that is, a well renowned rock band from the 70's being fronted by a teen idol pop singer from a TV show). Is he just trying not to burst Bri & Adam's bubble?

The answer to that is Adam is a great singer when it comes to range, breath control and interpretation. Admittedly his voice doesn't work as well as Freddie's for certain songs because he's a tenor and not a baritone, and I'll also admit that the pitch of his voice when speaking between songs during a rock concert sometimes makes me cringe, but he hits really high notes in full chest voice without resorting to falsetto. You may not like that or even consider it "screaming", and I respect that opinion.  He's quite polarizing. Although he currently chooses to sing pop, at least in the U.S. most of his fan base are serious about music, as opposed to the drivel played on the radio. And most were Queen fans first.

I don't expect to sway your opinion when it comes to his collaboration with Queen, but if you happen to have any curiosity about why an old straight guy is taking so much time to defend a "teen idol pop singer from a TV show", check out any one of the links below:

http://bit.ly/feN1Rl
From his 2003 Broadway tour of Hair

http://bit.ly/MrhT3c
From Brigadoon in 2004

http://bit.ly/d535t
"Crazy", at the Upright Cabaret in March 2008 (pre-American Idol)

http://bit.ly/1K9hA
Feelin' Good, American Idol studio performance

http://bit.ly/13DmzK
Whole Lotta Love... Led Zep, live on American Idol

http://bit.ly/9rAgHG
Note by Note, Studio and Live

Missreclusive user not visiting Queenzone.com
Missreclusive
Bohemian: 666 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 11:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

alanpace wrote:
Thank you Phillip, and it's great to hear that you enjoyed the concert. If they decide to to any shows in the U.S. I'll be there. I do have fairly thick skin and while I don't agree with those people here who apparently can't stand Adam, I know their passion is from the protective appreciation of Queen's legacy and not from hate. When it comes to Adam Lambert I'm more accustomed to reading vitriol borne of the latter motivation.

Welcome, I'm fairly new here too. I must correct you from my own opinion. My passion is not from protective appreciation! Please don't make a "blanket statment" with regard to those who dislike AL. I can't stand AL's sound. In my humble opinion, he just isn't a good fit. I wouldn't listen to him no matter what. Whitney Houston, even though technically a good singer and better than Adam for many reasons, I never liked her shrill voice either. It's a matter of opinion. They say Adam does a great rendition of WWTLF. I disagree when compared to Freddies. Why compare to Freddie at all??? Well, simple. They are singing songs Freddie sang. Its all about "SOUND". Why even care about the music if not for the way it sounds? Oh, I know, I'm talking to brick walls when it comes to AL. You like his shrill voice and presentation of music that was and is genius and was presented by someone who not only could sing, but had stage presence like no other. Marc Martel has the sound. No, he doesnt have the personality nor stage presence of Freddie but, he has respect. He doesnt try to change a song in a disrespectful way, he honors it and he does it without trying to impersonate. To me, its a great fit. I can't stand hearing or watching AL. Also, to add a last point here...I'm certainly not homophobic!

alanpace

Posted: 14 Jul 12, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Missreclusive wrote:
alanpace wrote:

Welcome, I'm fairly new here too. I must correct you from my own opinion. My passion is not from protective appreciation! Please don't make a "blanket statment" with regard to those who dislike AL. I can't stand AL's sound. In my humble opinion, he just isn't a good fit. I wouldn't listen to him no matter what. Whitney Houston, even though technically a good singer and better than Adam for many reasons, I never liked her shrill voice either. It's a matter of opinion. They say Adam does a great rendition of WWTLF. I disagree when compared to Freddies. Why compare to Freddie at all??? Well, simple. They are singing songs Freddie sang. Its all about "SOUND". Why even care about the music if not for the way it sounds? Oh, I know, I'm talking to brick walls when it comes to AL. You like his shrill voice and presentation of music that was and is genius and was presented by someone who not only could sing, but had stage presence like no other. Marc Martel has the sound. No, he doesnt have the personality nor stage presence of Freddie but, he has respect. He doesnt try to change a song in a disrespectful way, he honors it and he does it without trying to impersonate. To me, its a great fit. I can't stand hearing or watching AL. Also, to add a last point here...I'm certainly not homophobic!

Lol, you certainly hit the bullet points to protect yourself preemptively from a "Glambert attack". I'm impressed with Adam's technical ability and with the person he's projected himself to be in his interviews, but I'm not comfortable with the "Glambert" label, which comes with baggage created by OTT fans. As I said in my reply to tomchristie22, I recognize that he's polarizing and respect your opinion.