Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Fanthology Video "Releases" .... What's the deal??

forum rss feed
Author

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 05:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, just what the heck is going on with the Fanthology-related video releases we were supposedly going to enjoy as of late May? (later pushed to June due to personal delays, last we'd heard)

It's been over 2 months now, and Brian's Wig has not responded to inquiries (public and private) as to the status of the releases, and John Stuart last I checked didn't have a clue what was going on with him either.

Did we just get wound up for nothing, or are there some serious snags going on behind the scenes we're just not aware of?

Not trying to cause offense or anything, but I would like some serious answers here, and I'm sure others would too.

dave76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
dave76
Bohemian: 550 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm also looking forward to whatever he has in store for us. Hoping we will get it soon.

J.C user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's Wig has left the Queenzone. He is now a serious collector of Sesame Street merchandise.

He swaped all his Queen collection for Sesame Steet magazine issue 1 November 1972, It is the one when Oscar The Groouch moves into the Trash Can, a good deal I think.

He now spends most of his time on Sesame Street colouring in books, he can't quite get Big Bird right I hear.
A sad turn of events....

All of the "Queen Ubers" thought so too and commited suicide out of sheer depression. I hope they are with Freddie in Heaven.

So we are all screwed now. Queenzone is closing on Friday.

The Real Wizard user is on Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18460 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And everything must go !

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
soxtalon user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 349 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well it's not like we were ever owed anything. People were going to share items they procured possibly at great expense. *shrug* It'll happen when it happens and if it doesn't, yeah I'll be disappointed but I didn't pay for it so I can't expect anything.

With that being said, it would be nice to hear either way if this was still being worked on or if it was abandoned.

Gaabiizz user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Invisible Man
Gaabiizz
Bohemian: 936 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

soxtalon wrote: It would be nice to hear either way if this was still being worked on or if it was abandoned.

Vocal harmony user is on Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1195 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah the Queen illuminati And their untouchable collection. . . .

Will they devalue what they have by releasing it to the masses. Will they risk Island and Queen Productions knowing what's in the hands of people who shouldn't have it.

inu-liger

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just going to request in advance that *everybody* please refrain from mud slinging. I don't intend nor want for this post to stoop down to low brow attacks, we already had too much of that in the DRF topics.

"Well it's not like we were ever owed anything."

Certainly, I realize and agree with you on that, HOWEVER when you announce something big like that in terms of bootleg releases and fail to live up to your word as promised, and people involved can't seem to answer inquiries or offer follow ups in the least, fair questions can be expected to arouse accordingly.

I really don't want to resort to piling on pressure, however at the same time I just don't want to feel as if we were being lied to (or wound up), especially when it comes from very reputable people in the first place.

Jam Monkey user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jam Monkey
Bohemian: 663 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think a few thing need to be cleared up. The Fanthology is simply a group of private citizens who have come together out of mutual love for Queen. We are not, despite the rumours, a group of super villains who hang out at our island fortress locking Queen rarities in a vault surrounded by a moat protected by sharked armed with lasers. Yes, some of us do have collections of unreleased material, some us most certainly do not.

As such, we are really not a group of people from whom anything should be expected, or answers demanded. We all have jobs, families and various other things that keep us busy, so if things take longer than expected that’s just the way it is.

So, please cut us a little slack and be patient.

Contact me, I'm no Darth Vader: jam_monkey@hotmail.com
soxtalon user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 349 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that is absolutely fair enough :) I personally am just glad to know that it hasn't been abandoned.

tero! 48531 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 737 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's not like I really care, but now that you did start the topic...

It does make the whole release plan sound fictional, or at the very least as realiable as Brian's promises.

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1783 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am possitive it will come. People get busy, as I am sure Brianswig is the same as everyone else in the real world. Family commitments & such, do tend to monopolise peoples time. (well it does for me anyway) I'm sure at the time of the promise of the release, he meant it. But shit happens. anyway, if it takes 2 years, it will happen at sometime in the future. It's just a matter of playing the waiting game.

Anyway, we can't complain about a few months wait, I mean, my god!!! how long has Greg Brookes & QPL been promissing us the official Antholigy set???

Joyful the sound
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, please cut us a little slack and be patient.

(Even though we said to expect some kind of release months ago)

Maybe you shouldn't have announced a release was coming...

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2153 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 12, 17:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like "Word In Your Ear" said, 'shit happens'.
The release originally planned ended up being used for a personal trade and therefore it didn't seem fair to then give it away for free here.
My next plan was scuppered when my PC died (fortunate really as it was a good excuse to upgrade, although a costly one that required some serious scrimping and saving for a couple of months), and I haven't got back on track with that yet, so what's actually coming is another compilation that was planned for later in the year and you'll all find out what that is tomorrow night with any luck.
I'll be going over to a friends house and torrenting it from there for a few days as his internet connection is far superior than mine!

GinjaNinja user not visiting Queenzone.com
GinjaNinja
Bohemian: 641 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 12, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the update brianswig! I'm really looking forward to the share :)

Property Of Queen Productions...
inu-liger

Posted: 21 Jul 12, 18:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for the update BW :-)

Posted: 22 Jul 12, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

brians wig wrote:The release originally planned ended up being used for a personal trade and therefore it didn't seem fair to then give it away for free here.

I don't like to sound too negative, but that's exactly the reason why you can't trust a trader who says that he was "going to share something anyway, but that nasty DF guy screwed everything".

A trader doesn't GIVE anything away until he's made sure he couldn't possibly benefit from it in the trading circles.

I'm sure what you're going to release is fine and dandy for those who are desperate for any scraps, but to you it's little more than excrement you can't wait to unload.

tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1567 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 12, 04:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tero! 48531 wrote:
brians wig wrote:The release originally planned ended up being used for a personal trade and therefore it didn't seem fair to then give it away for free here.

I don't like to sound too negative, but that's exactly the reason why you can't trust a trader who says that he was "going to share something anyway, but that nasty DF guy screwed everything".

A trader doesn't GIVE anything away until he's made sure he couldn't possibly benefit from it in the trading circles.

I'm sure what you're going to release is fine and dandy for those who are desperate for any scraps, but to you it's little more than excrement you can't wait to unload.

If he did not say it, no one (except his group) would know what will be shared was the originally planned one or another one.

brians wig user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2153 posts

Posted: 22 Jul 12, 04:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Commenting on the above posting from tcc, well, I'm just being open and honest...

The original release was going to be a compilation of RT & Cross promo videos in what I think is the best quality available (although if anyone DID have better quality and was willing to share then the DVD would be upgraded), but the person I traded with actually requested those: That's why it didn't seem fair to then upload them.
They will come in time though as will the same compilation for BM promos and BM live TV appearances (although this one WILL come with a request for better quality recordings if anyone has them!)

Posted: 22 Jul 12, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What it all comes down to is that traders are first and foremost traders, not GIVERS. If there's a chance to benefit from something, it isn't going to be shared freely. You didn't expect the RT material to have any value anymore, and were pleasantly surprised.

I guess your trading partner is now thrilled to hear that you were going to share the material freely, and had to give you something in exchange... Not that I feel any sympathy for him either, but perhaps that's something that shouldn't have been posted publicly.