Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Traders or Hoarders ?

forum rss feed
Author

oliverd05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
oliverd05
Bohemian: 251 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something came into my head just now and was wondering what you guys thought

What actually is the point in not sharing freely?? I know that it makes recordings more "rare" and stuff but really for newbies who wanna build up there collection when Queen have really not been active much for the past 20 years, it's pretty much impossible isn't it??

Also for newbies, trading isn't really helpful at all because as I said Queen havnt toured at all since 1986 so there's no new stuff with which to trade!

This website is suppose to be a nice community, if people learned to be generous everyone would be happy because they would have everything and people would just put the recordings up here for people to enjoy and not wait a year down the line or in one of my Friends cases he waited 3 years for a Birmingham 2008 cosmos rocks tour bootleg, I mean it's really sad that people feel the need to keep ahold of their things to an unbelievable level! I for one know deep in my soul that trading can be useful but in some cases can be very cruel to be honest, after the Kerry Ellis & Brian May anthems tour producing practically no result, i admit i pretty much gave up on traders for the reasons I said but never mind. I wasn't expecting the Adam lambert gigs to produce anything other than the official release from Kiev, but thankfully people saw sense and gave them away freely to people who perhaps cudnt make the concerts for whatever reason

What is everyone's thoughts on this topic, do we want to have a nice community where everyone is at harmony and recordings and experiences can be distributed kindly and freely OR do we want to have it the way it very nearly currently is, with very little results

Thanks guys

And keep on rockin!

d.oliver
Gregsynth user is on Queenzone.com
Queen fan since 2005
Gregsynth
Deity: 3183 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My take is this:

If you recorded/taped a show -- you are free to do what you want with it (it's your recording).

If you bought something from a website/auction/event, you are free to do what you want with it (you put your money out to receive something for you).

If you receive a recording from someone, but refuse to share it at all--then it's hoarding (because it's not yours).

I consider hoarding to be when you keep recordings (or another medium) that you personally had nothing to do with--yet for some reason (and it's mostly dumb reasons), don't want to share it.

If there is going to be a succession of material being shared--but won't happen until a specific event or time happens, then it's not hoarding because the intent is to bring out new material (albeit in an orderly fashion).

I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me-Freddie Mercury
tcc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1580 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this is just a hobby or interest. We are in it to enjoy ourselves. If a recording is available, just enjoy it. If it is not, there is no need to fret over it.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18616 posts

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whine whine whine. Entitlement. Gimme gimme more.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of recordings to download here - almost all of which were brought to you by collectors who sometimes have to hoard in efforts to acquire more. So ragging on the very people whom you are aiming to trade with (and in public, no less) is a curious choice to have made.

I also find it interesting that you are primarily searching for recordings of shows that happened last year, when there are dozens of videos of them on youtube. What makes old recordings collectible is the fact that they are documents of a time when it was a challenge to tape them. These days anyone can do it with relative ease.

There are two kinds of people in this world - complainers and doers. If you think you have a better way of accomplishing what is already being accomplished, then stop complaining and do better. If you're after recordings of shows that happened last week, maybe you can start by taping shows yourself, and bingo, trade bait. Or just share them, since that's what you're asking others to do.

If not, then take a deep breath, point and click, and say thanks for what has been offered to you here for free. There is plenty of it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
The Real Wizard

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oliverd05 wrote:
trading isn't really helpful at all because as I said Queen havnt toured at all since 1986 so there's no new stuff with which to trade!

Then where do all of these lower gen copies and new sources of 25+ year old concerts keep coming from?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

oliverd05

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes real wizard but the newbies aren't going to stumble across say a lower generation copy of an old queen recording are they?? Coz I guarantee if you look at the uploaded of every sine queen concert. They're not newbies!!! My point exactly and also look back.... I never once !! Mention entitlement

d.oliver
The Real Wizard

Posted: 18 Jul 12, 23:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Then why are you so interested in trading if you acknowledge that so much is readily available?

oliverd05

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 02:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You've just answered your own question in a previous posting

d.oliver
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think you can say that *all* traders are hoarders, but I will say this: I got out of trading music because the traders I did get to know tended to be extremely obsessive about it, and in some cases even paranoid. I did not enjoy that scene, and I far prefer trading communities like Dimeadozen, where the greatest achievement possible is to make something previously unknown public.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I for one, would gladly Trade with any "Newbie" who would have the gumption to record any of the umpteenth gigs that get missed. If everybody on here, who, "Wants, wants, wants," Just for once decided to "Do something about it" & record a gig, there would be so much more going around. The notion of uploading stuff for free, for everyone to have, in an Ideal world is great, but unfortunatey, In the real world, as a Trader,(& I'll speak for other traders too) is, the only way that we can expand our collections is by trading. So I for one, will keep my recordings close to my chest, until, such a time, I feel that I will release them to the Masses.

For the record, there are loads gigs that I have shared on here, that would not have surfaced, if I had not have upped them. But what, the leachers on here want, is for me(& others) to upload them 3 minutes after I (we) have recorded them, as if it is my (our) god damn duty to do so. I will carry on trading first & then, later on down the line, if I feel it is time, I do upload. All I can say to all the moaners, is, "Record a gig, do your bit" Doors will open, in the trading circles, if you have something to trade.

For the record, You can get good quality lossless/wav recorders, for next to nothing these days. Try "Maplins", "Amazon" or even "Ebay"

Joyful the sound
thomasquinn 32989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
thomasquinn 32989
Deity: 6256 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The thing is, people *are* right that the 'trading community' is a highly elitist circle, often hostile to outsiders, and that many traders have unsavory characteristics. A close friend of mine who is a collector of video recordings was actually threatened (in person, not over the internet) several times by completely wacko traders. As I said, I don't enjoy that scene. Anyone who does can go ahead and join it, but I can understand those who don't like the trading community very well.

Incidentally, it strikes me that the 'hard core' traders of Queen-materials are often much, much worse than the fanatical traders who specialize in other bands. That does worry me a little sometimes.

Not Plutus but Apollo rules Parnassus

Ghostwithasmile is BACK! user not visiting Queenzone.com
Ghostwithasmile is BACK!
Bohemian: 940 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gregsynth wrote:
My take is this:
If you recorded/taped a show -- you are free to do what you want with it (it's your recording).
If you bought something from a website/auction/event, you are free to do what you want with it (you put your money out to receive something for you).
If you receive a recording from someone, but refuse to share it at all--then it's hoarding (because it's not yours).
I consider hoarding to be when you keep recordings (or another medium) that you personally had nothing to do with--yet for some reason (and it's mostly dumb reasons), don't want to share it.
If there is going to be a succession of material being shared--but won't happen until a specific event or time happens, then it's not hoarding because the intent is to bring out new material (albeit in an orderly fashion).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said ! GREGSYNTH you are a very wise man !

I do have some stuff sometimes I share something like the Radio reel2reel tape of the Rainbow show... I have this one in a more complete form , a Elektra master copy Reel 2 Reel and it features the 7 tracks in even (way!) better sound as the radio show...

Though I d spent a huge amount of money on it , it doesn't feel right to me , that me is the only one who is enjoying this gem! I listnen to it 3-4 times a week in my car to work... that's a 40 minute drive and the recording last also for 40 mins... And I think march Rainbow is the best show Queen played in the 70's.

I feel a shamed that I have this for myself only , but on the other side I paid a 4 figure price for it ! Putting it up here will loose the value of the item...

Though I have 100´s of audio cassettes bought in 70´s and 80´s with Queen concerts, when the time comes I will browse those again and you will see my batch of upgrades again on this website like I did in the past.

Cheers !

mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3662 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 11:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So if someone has spent years building up their collection they should just give it all to someone who puts up their hand and declares they are now a collector?

J.C user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 13 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love hoarding, gives me a great feeling.

I usually open a bottle of Jack on Friday night, press play on my Monterrey 1981 VHS, and masterbate until I pass out.

When I come around about 3am I put on Puebla, and repeat the cycle.

Happy days, top of the food chain.

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mooghead wrote: So if someone has spent years building up their collection they should just give it all to someone who puts up their hand and declares they are now a collector?

No, but if your collection is just a bunch of recorded cassettes or CD-Rs, then yes. 

Most collectors actually own SOME official product, not a bunch of bootleg recordings.  So, no, I don't think you should mail me your Flash Gordon picture sleeve so I can hang onto it for a while and then forward it to TQ.  But I don't think I should pay YOU for a recording of a band that you paid some guy ten bucks for.

oliverd05

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeahh microwave I completely agree with you

d.oliver
mooghead user not visiting Queenzone.com
mooghead
Deity: 3662 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"But I don't think I should pay YOU for a recording of a band that you paid some guy ten bucks for."

So people should give stuff away they have paid for? Even better....?!?

Val Lurex user not visiting Queenzone.com
Val Lurex
Deity: 2714 posts

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It'll just kill this... spirit of trade...

"I really feel like being evil tonight."
The Real Wizard

Posted: 19 Jul 12, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thomasquinn 32989 wrote:
Incidentally, it strikes me that the 'hard core' traders of Queen-materials are often much, much worse than the fanatical traders who specialize in other bands. That does worry me a little sometimes.

Oh god no, not a chance.

Zeppelin collectors are 10x worse.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23718

Roger's Beard user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 315 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 04:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oliverd05 wrote:
after the Kerry Ellis & Brian May anthems tour producing practically no result..."

This tour produced practically no results because (apart from THREE people I know about) no fucker actually had the balls to take some recording equipment and record the shows, yet there were plenty of folks saying they'd been to one and did anyone have a recording.

That's why trading still exists to a large degree I think and certainly why some recordings aren't given away freely.
It seems to me that it's the same core of people over and over again that record the shows they go to and, when you're taking the risk of being thrown out if you're caught (and it does happen, trust me!), maybe you can understand the reluctance of some folks to constantly give everything away, especially when there are so many people here who demand those shows as if it's their God-given right to be given copies for free.

I can relate to your point about newbies not having anything to trade as I was in that position once. Luckily for me though I'd recorded one of Roger's 1994 concerts a few years earlier and had a few off-air TV recordings that I could trade with an American (it was Trancer actually), and he was kind enough to give back more than he took, although he was paid back in full and more with the shows I recorded in 98 & 99.
It's also about building relationships and trust with people as well.