Forums > Personal > 12 Killed in Colorado During The Dark Knight Screening

forum rss feed
Author

greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is going on with society, and what is going on with Colorado too...

http://gma.yahoo.com/mass-shooting-colo-movie-theater-14-people-dead-085940786--abc-news-topstories.html

Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
GratefulFan user not visiting Queenzone.com
GratefulFan
Deity: 3776 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a surreal twist one of the victims who died was also present in Toronto's Eaton Centre when a gunman opened fire in a food court in gang related violence earlier this year. She blogged about it here:

http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/late-night-thoughts-on-the-eaton-center-shooting/

pittrek user not visiting Queenzone.com
pittrek
Deity: 10071 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 12:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a seriously f***ed up world

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Before anybody starts wondering...

Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)] Colorado law also allows a person to possess a handgun in a dwelling, place of business, or automobile. However, you cannot carry the weapon concealed on or about your person while transporting it into your home, business, hotel room, etc. Local jurisdictions may not enact laws that restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon. [C.R.S. 18-12-105.6] The Act permits the nationwide carrying of concealed handguns by qualified current and retired law enforcement officers and amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Pub. L. 90-618, 82 Stat. 1213) to exempt qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from state and local laws prohibiting the carry of concealed firearms.

Of course, if this would have happened in Texas, the guy would not have gotten as many rounds off and would be dead.

GratefulFan

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 12:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An old friend of mine got a Colorado CCW in 2006. All he had to do was take a class and not be criminally insane. He carried concealed virtually everywhere and all the time in his suburb near Denver, and throughout the state. Unless something has changed since 2006, it's not that hard to have a gun on your person in Colorado. The surprise factor, the darkness, the delayed reaction in realizing it was a real attack, and a large panicked crowd were surely far greater factors in the fatalities than the fact that there were potentially fewer heroes to attempt a surgical takeout in a packed, frantic theatre in the dark.

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, you probably couldn't have saved too many fatalities, but we wouldn't have to see (and pay for) this guy geting released after 7 years of "therapy"... which is bound to happen.

Better yet, maybe we can get Amenesty International to do a profile about his rehabilitation in a couple of years and how he was unfairly treated by the justice system.

GratefulFan

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Unless this man had a genuine psychotic break, which is typically not a factor in these kinds of attacks, I don't think Colorado is the state you want to be in if you're hoping for delicate treatment for the mass murder of innocents by firearm.

catqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com
:)

Royalty: 1758 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:
No, you probably couldn't have saved too many fatalities, but we wouldn't have to see (and pay for) this guy geting released after 7 years of "therapy"... which is bound to happen.Better yet, maybe we can get Amenesty International to do a profile about his rehabilitation in a couple of years and how he was unfairly treated by the justice system.

Don't think i've heard of many situations like this where someone only got 7 years. And surely if there is genuine mental illness causing it, then therapy/medication/treatment is the right option? What good would just prison do if the person is ill? I don't know the US legislation around criminal insanity, but here it's fairly tough to get through the criteria to get a not guilty on the basis of insanity verdict.

tero! 48531 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 737 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:
Of course, if this would have happened in Texas, the guy would not have gotten as many rounds off and would be dead.

Let's think about this for a moment...

There are hundreds of people in a dark movie theatre, and suddenly somebody throws a smoke grenade and starts shooting around at everybody.

What happens when a few dozen random members of the audience stand up and start wawing their guns around? Who knows who's an attacker, and and who's acting in self defense? How many more innocent people will end up in the crossfire, and how many people acting in self defense would be shot at?

If you're being fired at and the guy next to gets his gun out, how do you know who he's going to target? How does the police know it?

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh that's right... Since I said Texas, that meant a bunch of people pulling out pistols? You guys are precious!

Need I mention Colorado's lax guns laws as posted above? Just as easy to get one there as Texas.

This isn't about shooting back. This is really about preventing this kind of crap from happening in the future. Not the proper treatment of the poor, mentally disturbed (or not) shooter.

Holly2003 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hot Buttered Soul
Holly2003
Deity: 4706 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lots of eye-witness acounts of the shooting but none of the witnesses bothered to say if the film was any good or not. Talk about inconsiderate.

"With a population of 1.75 million, Northern Ireland should really be a footballing minnow. Instead, they could be better described as the piranhas of the international game" (FIFA.com)
tero! 48531 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 737 posts

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess the shooter was one of those fans who were threatening to kill the critics who don't like the movie?

GratefulFan

Posted: 20 Jul 12, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Holly2003 made me laugh:
Lots of eye-witness acounts of the shooting but none of the witnesses bothered to say if the film was any good or not. Talk about inconsiderate.

I know! I bet the poor victim who reviewed the Eaton Centre shooting would have mentioned it for sure.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 12, 03:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Microwave - what are your suggestions to help preventing such incidents in the future?
Certainly we will disagree about how the justice system should deal with criminals but I did not understand your posting concerning gun laws etc. Do you think that stricter gun laws could prevent such shootings?

I do not want any google ads here.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 21 Jul 12, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually don't have a logical reason for this (and I wasn't that excited about the movie to begin with) but I'm not even sure I'd want to watch it now. *shrug*

I was already ambivalent about it anyway. I figure I'd wait until someone releases a version that's just Anne Hathaway's scenes. So I can beat off.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 23 Jul 12, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote: Microwave - what are your suggestions to help preventing such incidents in the future?
Certainly we will disagree about how the justice system should deal with criminals but I did not understand your posting concerning gun laws etc. Do you think that stricter gun laws could prevent such shootings?

No, I am stating that (once again) gun laws did NOTHING to affect what happened here. 

And now posting his picture and talking to former friends and family to hear about what a nice guy he was all weekend?  Really?

That will certainly discourage the next idiot from doing something like this.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 12, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Micrówave wrote:
I am stating that (once again) gun laws did NOTHING to affect what happened here.

There are more gun fatalities in the USA per capita than any other developed country worldwide, by far.

The USA is the only country in the developed world where you can buy a gun at the corner store.

The entire civilized outside world sees a correlation, but I have little doubt that you won't.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 23 Jul 12, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Real Wizard....

Step off. 

In Switzerland, according to 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 semi-auto rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.

So to debate the rest of your point would be pointless, seeing that you have your facts confused.....  again.

No offense, but you really need to stay out of these kind of debates.  You definitely do NOT represent the entire civilized world.  Wake up, and see the picture below.  That is a common site in Switzerland.

Should I research the rest of the world for you, since you seem to make this stuff up as you go?

Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave

Posted: 23 Jul 12, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The following cannot be done in the U.S., legally...

Attachment: 1241231185052038.jpg 63 KB
This has been downloaded 15 time(s).

emrabt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1118 posts

Posted: 23 Jul 12, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you should probably post what the population is or a percent of somekind.